Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why are big rig trucks allowed to use all the lanes now?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by axis69, Dec 6, 2017.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    But that's a tiny minority of hardcore people who are prepared to commit criminal acts. It's not the same as the American response of saying "we won't stand for that" & using the constitution to stop it from happening.

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Are you saying that all of the unrestricted sections of all the autobahns have now been eliminated?

abnormaltoy likes this.

3. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    This can also vary. In Florida, where the land is pretty flat, 2- and 4-lane highways often have limits of 65 or 70 in the countryside, even if they aren't limited access.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I didn't write that, so no that's not what I'm saying at all.

abnormaltoy likes this.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So I don't understand why you said "There are speed restrictions on autobahns, some have even different restrictions when it rains" when I had simply commented that "Germany still has sections of the autobahns that have no speed restrictions". If there are "sections that have no speed restrictions", it's perfectly clear that there must also be sections that do have restrictions.

o_O

abnormaltoy likes this.

6. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I think that here most people are happy to get something done about the nutters, even though those GATSO and TRUVELO cameras are next to useless. (the average speed cameras in road works are the only effective ones).

I don't know what's what in the USA. One time there I was threatened with all kinds of stuff by a cop because I crossed the road on foot where I apparently should not. I still don't know when it's OK to cross a road there.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Oh is that the "jaywalking" rule? I agree, that doesn't make the slightest sense to me either.

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    At marked crosswalks.

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    If you are at an intersection you must cross in the crosswalk and only when you have the walk signal. It's just like a stop light for a car. When the Do Not Walk sign is illuminated you wait. When the Walk sign lights you can cross. If you are on a rural street without a cross walk then you can cross at your own risk. Some cities here are considering revisions to these crossing laws to address the issue of folks staring at a phone while walking into traffic. Then the driver gets charge or has an insurance claim because it's commonly believed that pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way.

abnormaltoy likes this.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My expertise is only in Texas and 55mph is pretty much gone in the cities at this point. The route I take to and from work is in the very densely populated suburbs north of Dallas and then part of Dallas proper and the speed limit is mostly 70mph. The same is true of the other major metro areas in Texas.

abnormaltoy likes this.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Because trucks (which is the subject of the discussion) are speed limited on all German roads?

abnormaltoy likes this.

12. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    55 should be gone in cities. No one follows it.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    We wouldn't stand for that here! If no traffic is coming, we cross - at our own risk.

abnormaltoy likes this.

14. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado
    I find it proper for very heavy vehicles and any vehicle with a trailer to be speed limited far below passenger cars, as they do in Germany.
    Not having commercial trucks roll on weekends is another fine German idea.
    We need better skilled, more conscientious, more attentive drivers. High bar, I know.
    Enforcement isn't happening at a rate to be effective at the volume we have. Maybe a contributing factor is attitude - perception of driving as a right vs a privilege?

The way we build/maintain roads and license drivers does NOT give me any confidence that having unrestricted speed on U.S. highways is a good idea.

abnormaltoy likes this.

15. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    We barely have lane markers on many of our freeways. Driving at night in the rain is an experience that most drivers from civilized countries would be shocked by. Lanes? We don't need no freakin lanes.

Our infrastructure is crumbling away while we argue about- well nothing, really.

abnormaltoy likes this.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    What do you mean, that’s part of the scheme to raise revenue! Bust the guy coming over the state line that’s guilty only of forgetting to reset his cruise control. The differing speed limits creates confusion that they exploit.

Sarnodude and abnormaltoy like this.

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    If it's any consolation, we are pretty much doing the same thing.

abnormaltoy likes this.

18. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's the sort of thing that Chuck Berry would write songs about!

abnormaltoy likes this.

19. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Here in Tucson there are provisions for crossing at traffic lights...and on long or semi long stretches w/o lights, there might be a cross walk. If a pedestrian is crossing in the crosswalk, drivers "should" act as if they are crossing under a traffic light and come to a stop. If a pedestrian crosses outside of a crosswalk...we can't run him over, but we don't have to come to a stop.

But, here we have the dimmest bulbs of all of pedestrians...many. too many don't even look up from their texting to check surroundings...I'm certain many aren't even aware they are at an intersection. Still most of them live and presumably breed.

Stratoskater and StillAlive&Well like this.

20. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

I've never driven a semi, but I have driven large trucks. I agree, most of the problems trucks have is with car or bike drivers.

Raiders757 likes this.