Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why are big rig trucks allowed to use all the lanes now?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by axis69, Dec 6, 2017.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Ah, I had forgotten about the turn right on red rule you have, we don't have that at all. It makes more sense under those circumstances. And our roads tend to be a lot smaller!

2. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Cops won't enforce this on busy freeways due to the danger to themselves and motorists from a stopped truck.

3. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    right turn on red in the UK is a scary thought!

knh555 likes this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Only cyclists and kids on illegal motorbikes tend to do it. :D

himijendrix likes this.

5. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    The world's weirdest traffic rule is the yield right rule in New Zealand. Left turns are required to yield to right turns. Makes sense in the US, but NEW ZEALAND DRIVES ON THE LEFT

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Will...

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm trying to imagine what advantages there might be if we adopted turn left on red. Logically it should be the same. But I can't see any advantages, what am I missing?

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

Driving 37 seconds sooner than you would otherwise.

newplayeroldguy likes this.

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah that rule can cause some problems.

10. Elvie

Elvie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2014
    Singapore
    In my previous life I held the operators license for my company fleet so I'm very well acquainted with the rules that govern truck operation in the UK.

The Highways Agency is only concerned with traffic management and their cameras have nothing to do with catching individual offenders. Speed cameras also lack any means of catching anyone doing anything except breaking the speed limits. A few places like the QE2 bridge have other camera systems (owned by Transport for London) that are set up to record registration numbers for the toll and also provide evidence of other misdeeds like changing lanes on the bridge but these systems are quite rare.

The ban on goods vehicles using the outside lane is also hard to prosecute successfully because it's not absolute and you can successfully argue any of several exceptions such as unreasonable behavior by other road users.

Truck drivers in the UK are fairly blasé about dealing with the police anyway because the police are amateurs at prosecuting truck related offenses and will not want to take you to court unless you provoke them.

VOSA (Vehicle Operation and Standards Authority) is the organization that polices truck drivers and operators. VOSA traffic officers have the power to stop any commercial vehicle for perceived offenses or for random checks and impose penalties at the roadside on both the driver and far more importantly on the vehicle operator. VOSA will sanction you for anything however trivial because its a private company and they get to keep the fines and charge you for any further action they decide is necessary.

A VOSA officer's opinion is legally binding and although it is possible to appeal the penalty it is not possible to remove the entry from the operator's compliance record. A few trivial offenses in a short time can get you summoned to meet your local transport commissioner who has the power to revoke or impose conditions on your operators license.

Raiders757 likes this.

11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    And give up all the speeding ticket revenue? Not bloody likely.

12. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Those red light cameras at intersections are known to cause rear end collisions. People are known to slam on their brakes at the last second to avoid a traffic ticket.

axis69 likes this.

13. axis69

axis69 Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2016
    LA
    There are many studies that show an increase in accidents for red light cameras and no decrease n accidents.I hate those things.If someone is tailgating you and the light turns yellow you can have a rear end collision or a 600$ ticket plus thousand$ in insurance premiums.Its a scam by the insurance companies.
    As for speeding and cameras,there are many innocent reasons in many cases.Cameras show no discretion or latutude.Such is not how justice should work.You should be able to refute your accuser in court.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    What an excellent post. Thank you for that.

15. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    We do have it, but it's still signal controlled. Certain junctions have left turn green while straight ahead and right is still red:

upload_2017-12-7_12-50-49.jpeg

In the US the right on red is available unless there is a sign saying No Right on Red.

I think here it would not be such a useful thing because of the lack of space and reduced sightlines and visibility. Remember that in the US they built most of their roads for cars, whereas ours designed to be just about wide enough to allow two packhorses to pass.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes I know we have left filter lights, of course I do, but that's a totally different concept to a rule that allows a driver to pass a red light. In the UK drivers are not allowed to pass a red light at any time.

17. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Yes, much of the policing of truck operations is by digital tachograph.
    You don't say how long ago that was, but a very common truck problem now is them having people hiding in the trailer in pretty inhumane sometimes tragic conditions and without the knowledge of the driver. It's still the responsibility of the drivers and they end up being prosecuted for it.