Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why are second-hand Super Reverb Reissues so expensive?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mexer, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    I'm currently looking for a used SR Blackface Reissue.

I've been hunting one for half a year now and I see everyone on the forums saying things like "oh I'd pay that for the original 65' BF. For a reissue you should find much, MUCH cheaper like between 500-1k US dollars". Ok.

Problem is: I'm not seeing what they're seeing. Everything I find online is over 1.2 - 1.6k euro (1.4 - 2k USD) if not more; not to mention that I have to ship them from USA to Europe which will cost me about 500 USD and as a poor ass student I really want to make sure I make the right choice.

My dream was the original vintage 65 model which I cannot afford now, so then I gravitated towards the SR SF but recently heard a SR BF Reissue that gave me chills.

Are they that popular that all the good deals just fly off or am I not looking in the right place? My main websites are reverb and ebay.

2. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2011
    Chicago
    popular amps, sure, but I reckon I'd have a better chance here in Chicago of finding a reissue for that sort of price than you would in Romania. I mean to say, there's prob'ly more of a selection as far as secondhand Supers over here than there.
    as with everything, it's always supply & demand.

shipping will be super-expensive 'cuz Super Reverbs are also super-HEAVY! ;)

best of luck, Mexer, and welcome to the forum!

3. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    Thank you for the kind welcome.

I've searched far and wide and I'm pretty sure on the whole European continent there's maybe 3 sales for Fender Reverb amps, at least the kind I'm looking for. We do Marshalls, you guys do Fenders. I guess I was born 5000 miles too far :(

If not I guess I'll settle for a JCM2000 or a Bassbreaker45.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    IDK...

Location....

Its not that awesome....I mean just get a Twin or something.....same diff.

5. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    In america, I rarely see the RI's for sale. I see a lot of old silverface's and some blackface for sale. The Super Reverb is not the golden child it was 10 years ago, a real 1964-67 will sell for much less than a reissue will new. There is a real 65 for sale locally, $1300. A reissue should never be more than $600 used.

Stratoskater likes this.

6. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    Oh how I wish I could get in touch with someone that sells a RI for less than $600 :( I assume not a lot of people would go out of their way to ship it internationally.

Vic Interceptor likes this.

7. Vic Interceptor

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    Just because that's all *I* would pay or what I feel like the fair market value is, doesn't mean anyone else does! it's a running joke among my friends how all the Fender stuff for sale online (Craigslist, Ebay, Facebook etc) is either priced at brand new retail or actually more... as if EVERYTHING that says Fender/Squier etc some how goes UP in value... As I've posted in other threads - save your money. Buy a used Fender Mustang III or IV, or GT100. Pick either the Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb, and then use it with either a Bassman cab or a 4x12 cab (there are a few to choose from). You will have 80% of a Super Reverb tone, actually more pleasing at living room volumes than the real thing. I have both and I can tell you - a real Super doesn't come into it's own till it gets LOUD. I've never even been able to get close to the "good" volume in a live gig... only alone at home (I live in a rural area, no one to complain) But the Mustang gets "that sound" at a volume you would listen to TV or radio at, so you might want to consider that an option.

Ebidis likes this.

8. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

$1500, or there about, is what they sell for new in the states. And the reissues bear little resemblance to the original BF (or SF for that matter) where it counts...the way they sound. They look the same but the similarities end there...they don't sound the same.

Some argue that when Fender decided to use printed circuitry over what's called "point to point" wiring, they eliminated much of the character such inefficient production practices imparted to the originals. Personally I think that is only partially accurate; that aging components also color the sound.

In the end though, it's irrelevant from where you are, €1200-€1600 is simply ridiculous...even for a new one...but you're kinda stuck. It might be that you might have better luck in the UK, both in price and availability, maybe?

I seem to say this a lot, probably because I know that it's true.

These things are not all that hard to build. There are all kinds of "kits" available. With a little practice, some reading, and help from YouTube, most anyone can successfully put one together... one that sounds nearly as good as the originals (considering the use of new components) for a whole lot less than what one would expect. With an added bonus; once done, one will have the skills necessary to avoid being at the mercy of Amp Techs in all but the most difficult of circumstances!

9. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    One listed for $900 right outside of Dayton Ohio right now.

10. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Actually even better lol. This one is 30 minutes away from me.

Screenshot_20171230-024352.png

rolandson likes this.

11. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    I've heard of the SR thing before; I didn't know it was that drastic. But I've figured out some time ago that I would be better off with more output than less, to "have" enough of it for any playing situation. This is why I'm kinda avoiding the deluxe (apart from the apparent smaller headroom). Thank you a lot for the insight! :)
    EDIT: I'm not touching the Twin though, even if you pay me for it. Even having it on standby would give me an anxiety attack.

New Reissue here (from Germany, pretty much the only place in EU) is about 2.5k USD. You can kinda paint a picture from that of what I'm dealing with, haha!
    Thank you for the encouragement with the kits. I've always loved the idea of those. I might even attempt it if every other option fails for me here; although knowing myself I'm fairly certain I'll screw up things. But it looks like a really fun project.
    I'm not sure where to find some decent ones online though. Is it normal for them to cost $1k+?

I almost clicked on the "I'm interested" instinctively. I'm so jealous..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017

12. Vic Interceptor

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    Once upon a time, I had the Super, Twin, Deluxe (all blackface) and a 1994 Blues Deluxe all at the same time. I had the house to myself, so I set them side by side to see just how much volume difference there was between the 22, 40, 45, 85 watt amps. Guess what? NOT MUCH! The real difference is where the amp distorts. The mighty Twin was not really any louder, it just didn't distort.

Being this is a Strat page I will go ahead and say it - Deluxe Reverbs SUCK with a Strat, if you push them into distortion (which is about 3½-4 on the vol knob). Those little 6V6 tubes do not make a pleasing sound with our beloved guitar, they much prefer a Tele or humbucker.

If you want clean and loud, so that your pedals make the distortion, you can't beat a Twin. If you want loud and the amp to to make the grind, THAT is where the Super excels. If you can get away with cranking a Super up to 7-8 then no other amp will make you happy. But 1-4 on the volume knob, there isn't really an difference other than the speakers themselves.

Paperback Rocker, Ebidis and Mexer like this.

13. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Pretty dang cheap compared to a lot of other amps, if you consider the per/pound price.

14. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2011
    Chicago
    I agree that the reissue Super Reverb isn't too much like any old Blackface or Silverface except visually. I also agree that the circuit layout (vintage done by hand vs. modern machine manufactured) as well as years of aging for some of the inner components are to be considered as variables as far as how good or bad a vintage amp will sound. there's a lot of an element of chance, whereas modern manufacturing is much more consistent from amp to amp. it is definitely a fact that the Super Reverb is a very, VERY loud amp if one intends to go for "that" sound. no two ways about it. otherwise if you keep the volume down below ear-bleed levels, it stays clean and you won't get what you want from it. are you playing out? do you play with a band or other folks, I mean. 'cuz I'd say go for a Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Junior and save up for a vintage Super Reverb if that's your dream amp. ('cuz if you're gonna pay THAT MUCH to have it shipped to ya, don't bother with a reissue!!)

15. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    I currently have a home+band rehearse setup (at someone's house and in rehearsing studios) so I kinda have to sacrifice ears and neighbors for the volume I need for the band. A friend also told me that if it's a dream amp I should just save more for it and buy the real deal later on and just grab something decent until then. For example, a Fender Blues Deluxe Ri deal has showed up in my country for about $500. Or I'll just get some Marshall I can find around here till then. (or both! make some sick stereo thing)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

16. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2016
    Seattle
    I have never played a SR reissue - I have a blackfaced '69 Silverface Super Reverb. The ticket price was $1150 about 10 years ago, but the amp was in great condition with 4x10 CTS alnico speakers.

Today, here in Seattle, I would have a hard time selling it for $1150, but I'm not selling it. It's a wonderful amp - the one I really wanted when I was a senior in high school. It has a lot of clean headroom (it's loud), so plan on using pedals - but the clean is so wonderful...

IMO, the silverface amps are the bargain amps out there. Some are in great condition, most will need a $200 tech fee to get them right with new bias and filter caps and a thorough evaluation of the construction (more if there are modifications that should be undone). The master volume is one of the Fender "improvements" that should be undone.

Shipping and customs are very real barriers to buying an amp in the US and having it shipped to Romania. I've found that the shipping rates from the USPS will beat any private carriers for an overseas shipment

Mexer likes this.

17. Vic Interceptor

Dec 28, 2017
    Sparkleberry SC
    The Reissue isn't like the old blackface or silverface? Gee that's funny.... 90% of touring pros using a Super are using a reissue. Scott Sharrard, Gregg Allman's bandleader (formerly, and now just solo) has used one for years. The biggest difference in new vs old is A: nobody takes the time to tune a new amp.. from the factory they are biased cold for warranty purposes B: not all tubes are created equal, old tubes DO sound better but not always and not always that much. C: the factory speakers are not going to sound the same as 50 year old worn out alnicos. D: the parts in the new amp haven't drifted yet, the old stuff always has something out of spec and that's not a bad thing sometimes and E: most people have no real world knowledge of RI vs real vintage, they just parrot what they read on the intrawebs.... there's no shortage of experts on any given subject these days, so take everything you read with a grain of salt and try it for yourself before committing it to fact.

18. Peterquelle

Peterquelle Strat-Talk Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Austria
    There is one on Willhaben.at ( Austria) for 1000 €

Mexer likes this.

19. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Arent there mods for the early 70s SR to get it closer to that AB763 of the 60s. 70s Super Reverbs are underrated. Great amps.

Mexer likes this.

20. Rudi

Rudi Senior Stratmaster

Apr 19, 2016
    Brisvegas
    Also be aware of different voltage when buying from the US.
    US is 110 volt 60 Hz, yours is 220 volt 50 Hz.

Mexer likes this.