Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why are second-hand Super Reverb Reissues so expensive?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mexer, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2016
    Seattle
    Yes, they're called "blackfacing". It involves changing a couple of resistors and most importantly, changing the bias balance to bias adjust. Really pretty simple stuff.

Mexer likes this.

2. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    I got one for $300 locally although it was like a decade ago. God bless the USA.

Mexer likes this.

3. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    Christ. Compared to me having to pay 1.3k :D God bless indeed

altar likes this.

4. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    Sorry I shouldn't have rubbed it in haha. To be fair it was pretty heavily used and nearly a decade ago and right after the economy went down the tubes. If you are patient you should be able to find one for significantly cheaper than 1.3k though.

Mexer likes this.

5. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    Shameless update- found a Custom Vibrolux BF, good condition with jensen speakers for about $900 near me. He claims it's 65' but isn't the custom modded after later reissue models?. Not sure if it's a good deal at a glance.
    Heard the CVR is just a Vibrolux Reissue with bad modifications, less tone and a lot of hiss.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

6. Stevem

Stevem Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2014
    NY
    People think these amp are gold!
    Last year for a fellow who was very happy with his reissue allowed me to install a oil tag board to replace the amps circuit board and he and I where shocked at the improvement in sound!

7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday At the Crossroads, now which way do I go Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    what is an oil tag board?

8. Spiffums

Spiffums Strat-Talker

Nov 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    So you're saying my plan to trade a 2000 Squire for a Gibson RD isn't gonna happen? :(

:D

9. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Aug 25, 2013
    Para Para
    68 original SR one speaker had to be re-coned..
    CL here in Tampa,,may still be there.. think it was 850.
    Almost picked it up myself.

Mexer likes this.

10. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

May 15, 2010
    US
    The reissue SR really isn't that expensive or hard to find in the US. They average around $800. A good friend of mine that manages a large music store told me the Super Reverb is a very slow seller. They don't stock it for that reason. In fact he told me that Fender now only builds it in limited numbers and wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped altogether. There are plenty on the second hand market and a lot of lighter options.

11. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talk Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada
    Hey Mexer,

Have you checked out Mojotone.com amp kits? They make everything from a deluxe kit to a Twin kit. They make a standard blackface Super kit as well as a blackface Super head. The head would cost you a lot less to ship to Romania.

Or you could try Victoria Amps who make reproductions of classic Fender Amps, including the Super:

http://www.victoriaamp.com

Doug

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

12. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Its what the original fenders used.

Known also as fiber board or eyelet board construction.

It is among other features, what makes vintage fender amps sound the way they do..

Its also a little problematic as they can accumulate moisture and lead to stray current, oscilations etc..

On subject of super reverbs I have a 1972 model. It needs no work, superb. Best sounding fender amp I ever have had.

13. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    thanks. I never heard that term. Very familiar with fiber/eyelet/turret boards.

14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Amen.

I had an early '68 silverface (black lines) factory AB763 I decided to sell about two years ago. Ended up selling it to a friend for $600 (I can buy it back for that as long as he has it, but I won't). I could have held out and maybe gotten about $800 locally. But maybe is a big word when you finally decide to part with something. $200 wouldn't have made any real difference in my life and I know it has a good home. Few year before I sold it, I might have gotten double what I sold it for. In the end, I got 20 years of great use out of an amp I paid $300 for and I still doubled my money (with inflation and the two times I put it in a shop, I probably broke even).

People are simply asking too much for a lot of the stuff I see listed. I could never see paying that kind of money for a RI when you can pick up a vintage silverface AB763 almost any day of the week for less. But again, its supply and demand. And being in the U.S. makes it a vastly different market.

craigh likes this.

15. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    A Guitar center about 12 miles from me recently had one for $750 or 799 but I didn't know what year or anything about it. I just remember looking at it. Just the how big it was I didn't give it much thought because I knew it was not fitting in my house.

16. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    You live in a shoe ? :)

I now have 2 70s deluxe reverbs a super reverb a 80s jcm800 2x12 combo a 1978 Marshall super lead a 70s 4x12 cab a bassman and a champ. Fitting all that in house is not a problem. It is the rest of the stuff in my house taking up space !!

Kstu and Stormy Monday like this.

17. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I have a DRRI and a 1979 Pro Reverb. and a couple of VHT tube amps. They fit. But get that Pro Reverb to 4 and I can get a whole house rattle... neat stuff

18. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    Yes with an old woman. The sound of it was not fitting in my house. Also my music room is pretty small. I have seven amps in that and I am always tripping over them. Not that that will stop me from getting more :) more small ones that is..

19. Mexer

Mexer New Member!

Dec 29, 2017
    Romania
    I just got to test a Vibrolux BF Reissue at a shop in Portugal. Having not played expensive amps much in my life I can see how I can easily get fond of these reverb type amps. They sound amazing! Unfortunately, being in a store and me being shy, I couldn't push it till drive volumes so I only heard the cleans but I loved them.
    I've also tried a bassbreaker 15 since I'm interested in the 45 version but I didn't like it much. The drive and high gain sounds a bit too muddy. There was also a blues deluxe and a deluxe reverb but I didn't wanna bother the owners too much so I passed.

I want one I want one

Also, for the love of god I kept reading on how big and heavy these amps can get and thought to myself ehh how hard can it be. I tried to lift a 2x12 and I couldn't. I also saw a 4x12 blues deluxe and that must not be a fun time carrying around.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018