Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why aren't people talking about these more?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Yogi, Sep 21, 2013.

1. buffalo0993

buffalo0993 Senior Stratmaster

Yep that's why you can put a 22 fret neck on a guitar that was 21 frets

2. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

You can as long as its a 22 fret neck with overhang.

3. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Yeah very true. Kind of thing maybe it's just nice to know it's there..like insurance or something.

I wonder why Fender went to that headstock back in the 70s in the first place? Not for me but to each their own.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

ok ok.. whats the big friggen deal. the Headstocks.. Being large and hated and the same shape but just a bit smaller is considered to be "loved" same shape.. same team. different size. how in the hell does the headstock ruin it? .. do you play the headstock? does the head stock have action?? i must be playing guitars wrong..

i think these are looking nice.

6. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Don't have to play it, but you do have to look at it a lot. It's like golf clubs. If the club head looks wrong at address, I don't want to play it. Weird, but I get it. I'm not a big fan of the bigger headstock, but some look better than others.

Now the 21 vs 22 fret thing I don't get at all. Nothing is moved and you don't have to go up there if you don't want to. Can make pickguard removal a little more work. The guitar seems like a good offering. The more sonic blue out there, the happier I am.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. Yogi

Actually the Headstock Changed in 1966 and was designed by Leo Fender. I have read several theories, but the one that holds the most water is that CBS wanted a larger headstock that could hold a bolder and more prominent Logo. So that way on television appearances and concerts it could serve as a marketing tool.

8. JayJ

JayJ Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2012 Lonestar. The 2013's have a Fender Twin Head Pickup, not the Seymor Duncan Pearly Gates.

It's not worth it without the Seymor Duncan, it is just THAT good, anyone who owns a 2012 and earlier can attest to that. I am sure the Road House is a good product, though....

9. otis66

otis66 Strat-Talker

Is this guitar made in Mexico?

10. PATAKYED

PATAKYED Strat-Talker

Not a big fan here either of the big headstock or the glaring black contrast of the bridge pickup. But, that's my own opinion. Others may think they're the cat's meow, and that's great! It simply means that folks that like big headstocks now have something they can own. Just not my cup of tea.

I will say that the burgundy mist is a really nice color.

11. itzed

itzed Strat-Talker

It does change it relative to the harmonics of the string. Hit the harmonics of the string over the neck pick up of a strat and you will hear the note right above the pole piece. Do that on a PRS Custom 24 (like I just did on mine), and it's out of place. Just to clarify, on a 24 fret guitar, the harmonic for the root note is, of course, exactly at the 24th fret. On a strat, the harmonic is exactly where the 24th fret would be, which is exactly where Leo put the pickup in order to obtain the bell like quality we all love.

12. Mouse

Mouse Who took my cheese? Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes. Quite a bit. Learn the second solo to Comfortably Numb for example and you'll see that Gilmour is bending at the 21st fret of the E string towards the end of the solo. I also play the part just preceding that with a whole step bend on the 22nd fret of the B string but it's possible that Gilmour did that bend on the E string. I'd have to watch a live recording. I believe he's also playing way up there on one of the solos of Money.

13. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

I bend the last fret on the high E up to E all the time, as Mouse notes above. I actually prefer bending up to the E on my 21 fret versus my 22 fret Strat. I prefer the feel.

I love the big headstock and I also like that this model is available in vintage white. It is a good alternative to the 70's models in that color because it has a 9.5 radius versus the 7.25 on the 70's models. Too bad it doesn't have a bullet truss!

14. Yogi

Yes, just like the previous deluxe roadhouse and lonestar models (excluding the usa models from the 90s/ early 2000s)

15. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

21-fret necks look like they're missing something

16. Green Craig

Green Craig Strat-O-Master

17. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Why? Because most people who go for big headstocks (me included) can get American Special or a used Highway 1s for the same price, more or less?

The old ones were also mostly under the radar...

18. qblue

qblue Strat-O-Master

It's hard to say. Usually 22 frets on a Fender guitar suggests american origin. This feature makes no difference. It becomes a factor if they made two octave or 24 fret necks, which I would prefer. It is not possible on a Stratocaster's scale.

I love the big headstock. Its a vintage appointment, one that Jimi played. I like the second tone, which affects the bridge humbucker.

I don't care for the operation of the S1 switch. I'd rather have a 3-way toggle for SHS function on the bridge humbucker.

Overall, I like the guitar for the price and the bridge HB. The price suggests MIM.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  19. Yogi

Its most definitely MIM. Fender wouldn't put these specs in a 599 MIA guitar.

20. twangless

twangless Senior Stratmaster

One gripe: battery. I don't like any musical equipment that runs on batteries.

21. 98BlackStrat

98BlackStrat Senior Stratmaster

I think they look pretty cool. Big headstock and all. I like the early CBS style decal. As far as the Black Humbucker that some folks dislike, it's personal taste. It reminds me of the Guitar Paul Pesco uses in Live from Daryl's house.