Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why buy a valve amp for home use?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Stavs, Sep 18, 2017.

1. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    A little bit of preamp and some power amp sounds good. All preamp sounds fizzy

2. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    Tube amp sounds awesome and I have little to no regard for the comfort of my neighbours lol!

owenmoney likes this.

3. hamfisted

hamfisted Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2014
    Texas

4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    That was my experience as well. I could get decent enough tones with my SS amps, but I much prefer the tone, the feel, the dynamics, and "especially" the distortion of my tube amps over any SS amp I have ever owned.

5. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    Nothing new to add here, but I find a tube amp to be more dynamic--it sells the difference in picking (between soft vs aggressive) more convincingly than a solid state, and the crunch that comes from aggressive chording is more pronounced.

Stratoskater likes this.

6. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Best amp I have for home use clean is my 1972 super reverb.

Its better than my 74 champ. Because its boxy at low volume and only becomes worthwhile to play through when its cranked.

Stratstrangler likes this.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I agree, power tube distortion sounds better, but even pre-amp distortion sounds better (to me) than SS distortion does.

8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Because they sound nice

JustABluesGuy likes this.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.

[/thread]

10. gibsonsmu

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Totally agree there!

owenmoney, Bera and JustABluesGuy like this.

11. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    I have found that SS amps can be fatiguing to listen to after a longer period of time. You probably won't get that effect by just listening for a few minutes.

owenmoney and Bera like this.

12. gibsonsmu

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    The internet has shown that it is a proven fact that some people like tube and some people like solid state. I'll take tubes all day only - big small, inside / outside, at home / on vacation / gig.This is close minded but I am very happy with my choice.

owenmoney, Stratoskater and Ecosse like this.

13. kevin54

kevin54 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2014
    Dorset, England
    I have both SS and tube, and I know which one I prefer.:thumb:

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    "Why buy a valve amp for home use?"

because life is short.

owenmoney, Bera and Stratoman10 like this.

15. Stavs

Stavs Strat-Talk Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Uk
    Thanks for all your comments! Its been a very interesting discussion.

I am still torn between the choice of an SS or a Tube amp, and this is mainly because of the existence of the Roland Blues Cube Artist, which is an 80w SS amp with built in power control that drops down to 0.5w.

Overall - It sounds incredibly tube-like. It sounds awesome on the youtube demos i've been watching, and it takes pedals beautifully.

If ever there was an SS amp to convince me, this could be it...

The debate in my head continues

16. waylon

waylon Strat-Talk Member

May 8, 2017
    Poland

17. Ecosse

Ecosse Strat-Talk Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My home amp is a 73 Twin Reverb. Beats the pants off my 68 custom Deluxe at low volume noodling. So much so that I sold the Deluxe. It was a third of the price too! It doesn’t get moved around very much though. If I only had one amp, that would change things a little.

18. Chrissomebody

Chrissomebody Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2017
    North Carolina
    buy a tube amp for home use for the same reason you buy a tube amp to play anywhere...it sounds better at any volume.

Stratoskater likes this.

19. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Why buy a tube amp for home use?

Because you can...

FormerTeleGuy and Stratoskater like this.

20. Gmanchefboy

Gmanchefboy Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2017
    New Orleans
    About a year ago I got rid of my MS combo after years of not being able to enjoy it. Recently spent a couple months researching and shopping for the best amp for low volume. I came to realize that use of the term "low volume", varies from "won't wake the baby" to "the cops won't be showing up". I was looking for something closer to the former - great sounds at TV volume.
    Got a THR10, sits on the table next to my chair......INCREDIBLE!!
    With the right patches and settings, it's like listening to a screaming tube amp at TV and cranked boom box volumes, but....
    I had a rare Sunday with the house to myself, stood in the middle of my man cave with my guitar, cranked up my THR.....those 3 inch speakers weren't weren't cutting it.
    Got lucky with an even trade of an acoustic amp, that I may have used twice in the last 5 years, for a Katana 50, which had been the finalist in my quest (0.5, 25 or 50 watts, and supposedly sounds great at low volume).
    Well, here we get back to defining "low volume"; while the Kat sounds great at LV, that LV, IMO, needs to be at least as loud as a loud TV....no cops, but the baby is not going to sleep unless it's a really big house.
    So, now on those rare occasions alone I can crank it up to 50 watts and get slapped in the face properly, ....it gets loud!!!
    While there is good deal of crossover with the two, it's a bit of a case in which, where the THR starts to give out, the Kat starts to kick in, but I believe the Kat is still giveing better sounds and response at volumes lower than that in which most traditional tube amps start to bloom.
    These two amps are the ultimate $500 setup for me, especially since it only cost me $300.

Note: in retrospect, I probably should have got the KAT 100. A lot of extra features for $130.
    But I'm happy. I can get great sounds all the way from "the baby is sleeping" to "the cops are here".

GoodGolly and yodude like this.