Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why buy a valve amp for home use?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Stavs, Sep 18, 2017.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    How did it 'beat the pants off the 68' ????

2. Gmanchefboy

Gmanchefboy Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2017
    New Orleans
    Note 2: I have no illusions that the $200 Kat is going to sound as good as a quality tube amp at high volume.

3. Ecosse

Ecosse Strat-Talk Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    At the same volumes and even with the Deluxe pushed a bit, the Deluxe sounded thin beside the Twin. I loved that amp before I bought the Twin. But side by side, for me, they didn’t compare.

I mostly use pedals for overdrive, but with the Twins master, I could get that nice Fender grit at lower volumes than the Deluxe too. The only plus it had going for me was portability. All of my other amps are at a rehearsal space so that wasn’t enough to justify keeping it around.

johnnymg likes this.

4. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    I don't know what I'm taking about, but you don't have to crank a tube amp to ungodly levels to get a good sound out of it. Yeah there's nothing like a nice classic tube amp screaming, but even at low volumes a good amp is going to sound good.

That's not to say there aren't ss amps out there that are just fine even for gigging let alone bedroom jamming. If our garage band ever gets off the ground I will use my Fender Princeton 65 as a backup amp and will fire it up and crank away with abandon if the AC15 blows a tube. It's not even close to the Vox, but it's plenty good for a live situation and certainly does the trick for bedroom jams.

This question comes up a lot, what do I need for bedroom jamming?
    The answer is it depends how good you want to sound just for you. A 65 watt ss can be just fine. A nice tube amp will be even more fine if you want to sound as good as you can. It will have better cleans, and I'm sure it has gotten better over the years, but ss distortion is not so great to my shot ears, so you'd sound better anyway with a pedal to a tube amp. It's pretty much, how fast do you want to go? Even at low volumes I sometimes sit in front of my Vox and just play notes and listen to them ring out and intermix and sustain and fade. Beautiful swirling colors and textures, like a ghostly Mardi Gras of sound. But that's just me.

5. savofenno

savofenno Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2010
    Sweden

Try Bassbreaker 45, while not costing much more than what you have now, it is a clear step up.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    LeicaBoss likes this.

6. McStratter

McStratter Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Ahwatukee
    IMG_5026.JPG
    I run these at low volume and they sound awesome ... Hot Rod Deluxes

7. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

Oct 19, 2011
    Fullerton
    A 15-watt amp, cranked, in a 10 x 20' room, will be too loud for conversation. The baby will wake up.

A 1-watt amp, cranked, in a 10 x 20' room, will be too loud for conversation. The baby will wake up.

The internet myth that you need a cranked tube amp to get a good sound is an internet myth. Sure, cranked tube amps sound great. But a big reason they sound great is because they're loud.

If you can't be loud, you use the tools at your disposal, of which there are a bazillion more options available in today's modern world.

D*** spoiled teenage punks.

Ebidis likes this.

8. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2016
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Both my Mesa Mark V and my VOX AC15 sound very good at bedroom levels.

I can also put the Mark V in 10w mode. It is both more bedroom friendly and whole another amp in itself!

9. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Cool! Do you run both of them at the same time? I love my Hot Rod Deluxe!

McStratter likes this.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Why?
    Why anything?
    Once ya have
    Food
    Drink
    Sleep
    Roof
    Warmth
    Just about everything else is elective.

Of course
    I tried all this logic on wife...
    You can guess how far this logic got me..

Then I pointed out that her new CRV has
    Leather heated seats and a little tv so she'll know what she hit when she's backing up
    Same result as logic got me

Lance Boil likes this.

11. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I bought a valve amp years ago to gig with. I use it for recording now. I have a basement with a door, and don't play deafening volume.
    There's no right or wrong answer to the original post. Too many variables to consider which vary from person to person.

12. McStratter

McStratter Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Ahwatukee
    Yes, they split out of my Fulltone Supa Trem 2 Tremolo

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

13. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I always thought tube amps sounded warmer and more dynamic (sensitive to player's touch) than SS amps.

My only amp I've ever owned is a mid to late 80's Peavey Stereo Chorus 400, 2x12 twin, 65 watts per channel, and there seems to be a spot where it starts to sound nice. Unfortunately, that is turned up pretty loud. Wouldn't exactly call it home friendly volumes.

The Hughes & Kettner amp is a good recommendation, as is a Peavey Classic 20 MH (same switchable output, 20, 5 and 1, headphone jack, speaker mute, but instead of a DI this has cab simulation USB out).

That's one of the cleanest SS amps out there!

Guitaraxe likes this.

14. Adam Moss

Adam Moss Strat-O-Master

Feb 10, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    I use my Fender Mustang IV v2 for recording but for gigs and even low level amp gorgeousness nothing beats my tube amps - whether that’s my HRDIII or my Bassbreaker 15. Both sound matchless (compared to SS amps) even at low volume.

heltershelton likes this.

15. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek Strat-Talk Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Eastern Seaboard
    I think there are three routes to go here for home use:

Tube Amp: must be low wattage even as a pedal platform. This has been my choice with a Blackstar HT-1RH Metal head for gain at reasonable volume through a 1x12" cab and an AB/Y pedal to switch to a VHT Special 6 head into a 1x12" cab for cleans at reasonable volumes. Anything with more power will be over the top for home use IMHO unless you use a tube amp with an attenuator, but higher powered amps with an attenuator for only playing at home seems like a waste.

Solid State non-modeling: Boss Katana 50 or 100, Roland Jazz Chorus 40 (have played through my buddy's JC-100 and it is way overkill for home). Benefits are reliability, portability, quick to get a good sound out of.

Modelling amps: had one and spent too much time noodling and not enough time playing so I got rid of it. These can be inexpensive (Fender Mustang, Marshall Code, etc..) to High end (Kemper). These do give you a bunch of good sounds in one box, but I like the immediacy of a tube amp under my fingers. More of a feel thing because these amps do sound really good.

Good luck and let us know what you picked up.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

16. AlexEP

AlexEP Strat-Talker

Nov 26, 2012
    Genoa - Italy
    I'm going to purchase an Hiwatt T20 tube amplifier 1X12" just to use in the clean channel (i've got tons of pedals, huge DG fan). It is usable in both 5 and 3 tubes (18 and 9 watt). I think is absolutely usable at home

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

17. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    I lived right across from a loud rock bar when my kids were little, and the Harley’s parked outside their bedroom, I played loud music all the time the kids learned to sleep through anything, it’s the neighbors who call the cops that are the problem ! Lol

18. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    I put my Mesa Express 5:50 plus in five watt mode and it’s glorious for at home, and it will scream in fifty watt mode. Not quite a mark five, but plenty of great tones from clean to scream and all points in between !

19. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Tempe az
    All you gies talking krazy SH*T about tubes at home & DRRI & SS STUFF & 5e3 stuff- jusus dont go on any further till you try & buy a CARR MERCURY V!$?!$!I mean to say the CARR V MURCURY OR ANY OF HIS AMPS-.will blow your other stuff OUT!$

20. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2013
    Bucharest - RO
    Already have the Ibanez TSA15 - with 5W switch options, Marshall Studio 15 and SCX2. Add the Micro Terror - hybrid, but still... just found a 4W home made amp that I intend to put into a champ style box (under work)... Sounds soo good crancked, and no problem to cranck it for home use with a 8" speaker. Connecting it to 2017-11-06 17.05.42.jpg my Ragin' Cajun or other 12: speakers helps it sound waaaay louder, still the 8" no name speaker (probably from an old radio...) seems to be more than enough for not embarassing my neighbours. Still... tube sound!