Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why can Tele = Strat but not Strat = Tele?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Wrighty, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    I’ve got a 2004 Am Std Strat and a 2018 Am Pro Tele. I’d be hard pushed to say which is the better player or my #1. But, and here’s a thing. I’ll play any of the band’s numbers on the Tele, country, pop, blues etc. Yet playing country on the Strat just doesn’t work for me. It’s not just a question of the tone, it just feels weird and wrong to hit a country number with a Strat.

circles likes this.
  2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe because Strats are a rock guitar?

On a more serious note, I know you’re talking more about the feel rather than the tone stack but it seems to me that I can get close to a Strat neck sound with a Telecaster neck and my middle pickup on the Strat can get close to the Telecaster bridge but neither can sound like the other really. I mean, if I let loose on the Telecaster with a bunch of gain on a tube amp with the bridge pickup, it gets that pure early Led Zeppelin bite and the Strat can’t get that. On the other hand the Strat has that flute tone in the neck that my Telecaster can get close to but it can’t quite reproduce it.

I’ve only seriously been playing Strats and Telecasters for the last 4 years or so, so I’m still figuring out all of the Sonic possibilities so it could be with time, I’ll get closer. Not sure that I want to though. I love the curves on the Strat but I really like the raw, utilitarian shape and feel of the Telecaster too.

Demon Dave and circles like this.
  3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Strat-Talker

Sep 2, 2008
    marquette
    What do ya mean?! There's plenty of strats in country music...like that one guy...ummm...uhh...

That635Guy likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Your last sentence seems closest to an answer. I think I’ve always preferences the Tele overall, just basic and functional. I’ve never gone for flash or bling in anything, cars, watches, clothes......................Perhaps I just ‘want’ the Tele to be more versatile?

5. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    Johnny Garcia (Garth Brooks). Probably doesn't use a strat exclusively, but it seems to be his go to guitar for live shows.

biyfsJzj.jpg

ultra80096 likes this.
  6. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-Talker

Feb 17, 2018
    Chino Hills CA
    I always disliked the Tele shape and felt I didn’t like the Tele Sonics until I came down from my high horse and played one.
    Then I bought one and realized most of the music I listen to, Clapton excepted, is played on a Tele.
    Now it’s the only one I want to play.

Stratoskater likes this.
  7. 50yearslater

50yearslater Strat-Talker

Sep 28, 2009
    FL & NC
    This guy could play some Country on a strat...
    [​IMG]

Tom

Bcorig, ntotoro and elduderinoTF like this.
  8. StratoTele

StratoTele Strat-Talker

Nov 4, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    I had always thought of myself as a Strat guy, but now I own one Strat, and three Teles. I play mostly classic rock, but I'm able to cover just about any genre of music with my Teles. 20180511_160522.jpg

gutshank likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I always liked when Pete Anderson used Strats with Dwight Yoakam.

Tone Guru, Grux, cshere and 3 others like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Two reasons why a Strat struggles to sound like a Tele

- The strap pin is more forward on the body, so the whole guitar hangs further back when standing, you are more likely to pick between the middle and neck pickups, not back by the bridge pickup where it twangs. A Tele you are more often naturally resting your hand on the bridge or just behind the bridge on the body picking by the saddles and twanging.

- The volume knob is too close. Move the volume to the first tone knob position opening up that playing region. Now it's easier to pick near the bridge and saddles for more twang on all strings.

BelairPlayer likes this.
  11. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

12. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Keith Urban, if you consider any of his stuff county.

13. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    The versatility of a Tele is in the player: picking dynamics, using volume and tone controls with the amp set to the edge of breakup. Beyond that, the crispy thing that cheap, thin bridge plate contributes and that voodoo magic of the bridge pickup.

I’ve got Strats and Teles. For me, the Strat is a set of distinctly different tones. The Tele has more of a range of tone that i can work with and dial in.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  14. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2014
    Oregon
    I too have Strats and Teles, and I use them for what they are good for. I love the differences between them and their individual capabilities.

15. Willie D

Vince Gill plays a Strat frequently. Eldon Shamblin of the Texas Playboys was a Strat man, too.

But I'll admit, when I want to play country I do reach for the Tele.

16. Wrighty

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    But that’s neither Strat nor Tele?

Twang Banger likes this.
  17. Willie D

True, but it's in the Strat ballpark. More strattish than teleish.

18. Wrighty

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Get all of the points mentioned. Still feels right for me to pick up a Tele for country and carry on using it for everything else than pick up a Strat for blues and then carry on using it. Just an, I don’t know the word, emotional? thing I guess.

19. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    I play heavy metal on a danelectro with lipsticks, and country on a hot pink reverse Jackson.