Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why can Tele = Strat but not Strat = Tele?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Wrighty, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Mmm, there’s a whole new thread in that statement!

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Get help!

Lovnmesomestrat and AngelDeVille like this.
  3. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    I play rockabilly on a headless Steinberger.

fezz parka and AngelDeVille like this.
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    I wish I had a Steinberger or Keisel headless!

5. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Strat-Talk Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    Now that's an interesting thought. Just added a Strat after a few years with a Tele and totally get what you're saying. Still settling in to the new hand positioning.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    i agree the picking style and where you pick has a bunch to do with it as my PRS with a steve vai evo bridge humbucker twangs pretty strong.

but i think a tele bridge pickup is cornbread fed and the easiest to twaaawanngg with.

Textele and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  7. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As far as tone, the middle pup on my '76 hardtail can get very Tele-like. Twangy snappy and bitey, but none of my tremolo equipped Strats get as close. Part of that reason could be the pups.

But country licks on a Strat is just wrong.

8. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Apr 10, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Tele's force me to play different,more country and careful, you cant hide mistakes so easy
    playin a tele

9. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I can make my Strat twang

10. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    I own and play both Strats and Teles.I am mainly a Blues and old school Rock n Roll player but I find a Strat to be a great choice for Country guitar although I don't really play much Country.I find the Strat bridge pickup to be very twangy and ideal for that style of music.If you lay your hand to palm mute on the bridge saddles of a Strat and pick in the area just in front of the bridge pickup you get a very bright and twangy tone that sounds great especially for chicken pickin' style.Sure a Tele is the go to guitar for most Country pickers but let's not forget that the Strat was designed around the Telecaster and many Country pickers were the first players to use it and give Leo feedback.Compared to a Tele bridge pickup,I find the Strat bridge just a bit thinner with a bit less midrange and bass...it has slightly more brightness and quack but still a very usable tone for a Country context.Also the 2 position of a Strat(bridge and middle)is a common tone used in Country(especially 1980s era).I think getting a Country tone on a guitar has more to do with the right picking technique.So whether it's a Strat,Tele,Gretsch,Les Paul jnr ect...I think the critical factor is how and where you pick to get that twang and control of that phrasing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    albala, 808K and Textele like this.
  11. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    You can play anything on any decent, playable guitar.

We sweat the minutia around here, I am guilty of it too.

WE as players hear all the different sonic footprints of the guitars.

But, the audience doesn't have a clue, nor care one bit, as long as you play what you are playing well.

And as Sonny put so well above, there are ways to coax different tones out of guitars. Just gotta know how to do it.

albala likes this.
  12. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-O-Master

Feb 16, 2018
    WV
    Thanks! Great playing, but is that audience alive?

13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I really enjoy playing the same song on a strat, tele, and Gibson, regardless of the type of music

14. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Blues and Country pick'n

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    That Music Man Albert Lee has something many Strats and Teles do not have.

BONA FIDE TUNING STABILITY.

15. Relaxing at Cam

Relaxing at Cam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Camarillo, CA
    Glen Campbell played a G&L Comanche

rlmcritters1 likes this.
  16. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    I have two of both.

The strats are afraid of the Teles, but much more polite when in a group situation.

17. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    Well...I've seen the legend Reggie Young probably 14 or 15 times in my lifetime and I never once saw him play a Telecaster. If there is a more country guitar player than Reggie Young, I never heard of em.

Seriously though its all in the fingers man.

18. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think teles and strats sound pretty different from each other. I can't get the tele neck sound on a strat, or vise versa. I can't get the tele bridge on a strat, or vise versa. A Tele can't really sound like a Strat's switch position 2 or 4, although a Nashville tele can get close--maybe real close depending on pickups.

A tele can't do trem dive bombs, but it's more useful for clubbing zombies.

They're just different tools, and they have different uses. Not that there's anything wrong with chicken pickin' on a Strat or blues on a tele.

They also both have their own aesthetic style. A strat is...well, mid-century modern. It's 1950s futurism, a Jetsons guitar. The tele looks simpler and more rustic.