Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why do people care so much about "tonewood" and "pickguard material"?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by JohnnyL, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Dec 25, 2010
    Israel
    Without getting into the debate of "is there a difference" (if it's possible) - I used to try to aim at specific player's tones and wanted accurate gear. With time I understood that it's mostly about tge right approach to the gear than having the right gear...

But as I can speak only for myself why do others care so much about it? Is it because they want to sound like a specific player who might have Alder instead of Ash (tgat was my consideration)? Do they believe tgat a Strat won't be a Strat (although Strat Tone is such a broad term)? Any other reasons?

abnormaltoy and skypeace like this.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    It's because they spend too much time over analyzing and reading lots of online forums lol

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Here, there, everywhere....
    I'll play a toilet seat with strings as long as it holds tune.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    my thoughts exactly.

abnormaltoy and Will Lefeurve like this.

5. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Dec 25, 2010
    Israel
    Now you gave me GAS.

6. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Dec 25, 2010
    Israel
    Pobably... it's fumny that the forums don't say something like "Ash is trash"...they say something like "adds a little bass" or something... and people go all paranoid about it.

abnormaltoy likes this.

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I was just talking to my son about the hobbies I've had over the decades, and that all of them have quite a bit of folklore mixed in with the truth. The Internet is involved now, but the folklore existed way before the Internet existed, so it's not the cause, just a way to communicate it faster.

8. davidKOS

davidKOS Musician, Composer, Teacher Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Because it's easier to change gear, chase tone, try to look like your guitar hero, etc. than it is to practice and really learn to play guitar.

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    How about this one
    1531409794505.jpg
    Or possibly this one
    1531409808464.jpg

10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Here, there, everywhere....
    Now that's rather crappy and I like it.....:thumb: The other one is some what muffled, not good for a hard rock player.

11. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    It’s the availability and easy excess to to much information both good and bad. Younger players rely on the internet to make informed decisions. Older more experienced players have made up their minds about most topics already.

12. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    A guy came up to me once and asked.. "Is that guitar Ash?"
    I replied.. I don't know..
    He said.. "it might as well be.. you can't bloody play it".. :eek:

mikej89, RobZ69, apm1991 and 5 others like this.

13. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

Jul 22, 2011
    Venice, CA
    I've become particular about tonewoods and pickguard material because during my journey I've discovered that, like John Mayer said in his Silver Sky video, "it's a game of inches". Every detail makes a difference no matter how small or large. As my hearing has evolved I am able to better hone in on small details that I was oblivious to when I was younger. I'm a musician and I want to create the sounds that inspire me with the hope that they will inspire others too.

For example the Strat pictured in my avatar used to have a black basswood body. It didn't deliver the spank that I associate with a Strat tone so I found a MIM Fender alder body. Once I replaced the basswood body with the alder body the spank was back. The latest addition to this guitar is a Rose Robusta neck pickup that replaced a Fender Tex-Mex pickup. While I could hear the alder body was delivering the spank the pickup was not translating like I knew it could. I really like the Tex-Mex bridge pickup but the Rose pickup delivers exactly what I want to hear out of a Strat neck pickup.

lonegroover and abnormaltoy like this.

14. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Dec 25, 2010
    Israel
    Is it a pre-CBS? Because I read that the new ones just don't handle heavy stuff as well...

15. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2018
    Gibraltar Michigan
    I don’t think anyone cares about pickguard material. LOL

Guitar players have always tried to emulate the sound of their favorite players. The internet has allowed us to completely, over analyze ever facet of our favorite player’s guitars, amps and effects. We are privy to every specific detail of their favorite guitars: Tone Woods, fret wire, pickups, bridges, tone pots, volume pots, paint finish, fretboard material, neck profile, etc, etc, etc.

Before the internet you would pick up some of this info in magazine articles but it took some digging. Today it’s at your fingertips.

The guitar industry has done a great job marketing signature guitars, reissue guitars, reissued amps, reissued effects, signature effects and “vintage” aftermarket parts to
    cater to the spec obsessed players that are chasing the tone of their favorite players.

The-Kid, ido1957, abnormaltoy and 5 others like this.

16. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    abnormaltoy, Hudman_1 and skypeace like this.

17. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Google...

toilet seat guitar

...and you'll have enough material to waste 15-20 minutes.

18. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Having bought a pricey strat online that doesnt sound as good as I had hoped it would, I am eminently qualified to answer this question.

We start wondering if pickups, plastics, nitro, blocks, strings, tuners, wood, poly, maple, rosewood, pau ferro, wiring, pots, caps, blah blah blah blah, would make a mediocre guitar into something great.

The answer is, maybe, maybe not.

So punk, do you feel lucky?

Edit: I dont use much punctuation cause my phone makes it inconvenient. I dont use spell check. My typing skills may be indicative of why my playing is so sloppy.

But here is why I edited this post: I used the word imminently, instead of eminenently, and cant help wondering how many Brits here must cringe when reading my posts. :oops:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    The-Kid, apm1991, abnormaltoy and 5 others like this.

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    The second one is for someone that has a really bad case of GAS.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.

20. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    It's just to have something to worry about.

If you went and saw EC for the Cream reunion, you saw that EC did not in any way try to use the same guitars or amps that he did a half century ago. Not even the same brands.

So if the pros don't care about chasing down their own tone, why should you?

9259457-14785569.jpg a80ed1f75a40b9bfd6d5a990b90f3bd6.jpg

henderman, davidKOS, circles and 8 others like this.