Join Strat-Talk Today

Why is this big news?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

A guy sets up a bogus "charity" to which rich parents and celebrities "donate" money to. But the money is in actuality used to silently bribe people at high places to get the kids of these rich parents into prestige universities such as Yale or Stanford etc.

On top of that the parents get a tax deduction for donating to a "charity".

https://nyp.st/2u6CLcU

Isn't that how it's always worked? Well, someone managed to do their job and map out the scheme of it all and now a lot of people are facing charges.

But come on, any of these people really going to serve time? Maybe the guy that organized it at most.

Stratbats likes this.
  2. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

Go Fund Me

3. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Just because it's always been that way does not mean it should not change for the better.

Anyway, if they are that rich, give the money to the spoiled child directly, and save the middle man. But I don't see how lying and cheating should be ignored. Would you be proud of that? Donate to charity if you want, that's another issue.

4. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Shhhsshh. I need quiet. I'm sitting here trying to turn my child's balancing-an-egg-in-a-spoon walk trophy into "Lacrosse Champion" on his admissions forms. And being the very first one in fourth grade to get detention clearly shows "leadership qualities." I mean first should count for something, shouldn't it??

Really, I'm only shocked at the amount of money spent and the fact someone spent that much to try and get their kid into USC. Nothing against USC, but really? Oh, and I'm shocked (like you) at the stir this has caused and the amount of taxpayer money that has been spent on it so far (with more to come).

Lawsuits have already started against the universities where other privileged and entitled kids were denied admissions because maybe, possible, just a chance, that the spot they could have taken was filled with the child of a monied fraudster.

5. space

space Strat-Talker

Schadenfreude

6. Guy Named Sue

No it shouldn't be that way, but the system is rigged in favor of these types of people. Even if they get caught they get away with it, and the prestige universities want to have rich celebrities going there. They get their money and fancy building and renovations that way. It's bribery however you want to look at it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

People are going to do time on this one. Trust me. Taking down rich people who try to rig the system in their favor is a worthwhile endeavor. They're already rich, which as you point out, gives them advantages. No need to cheat on top of that.

Mesaman, fezz parka, Miotch and 3 others like this.
  8. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I think this goes beyond a “here let me make a donation to the team fund for Billy to get 1st string”. This is a well organized thing and kids who are working their asses off are getting bumped for kids who don’t even care to be there.

One woman (not the two actresses) was even on a talk show ranting about how kids should not cheat to get where they are in life LOL

I don’t necessarily think it’s as big a news story as the media is gonna make it out to be. I honestly think that when they do this prime time fodder thing on a story there’s some other story going on they want to distract you from.

The media is a huge problem at least in this country IMO

9. Guy Named Sue

I sure hope you're right about that, I hope they don't just stop there and actually go all the way. The key people at these universities who were involved should face charges as well, some changes has to come of this to obstruct these kind of schemes.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    rich815, Alan Crossley and dante1963 like this.
  10. Guy Named Sue

Yeah I know who you're talking about, haha she was promoting a Don't Cheat hashtag or something on Twitter. Nuts.

Chont likes this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I heard about this the other day, and it's news to me.. I've never heard of this type of thing before. And aside from setting up a fake charity, it doesn't seem right to bribe college employees into accepting people who might not have been accepted anyway. Even if that has been done a lot before, how does that make it any less wrong?

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  12. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-O-Master

What is truly, mind-numbingly infuriating about this, is that these people are cheating to rig a system that is already biased in their favor.

They are rich, white people. And some, were FAMOUS, rich white people. The entire system is already rigged so they get special treatment. And that wasn't enough.

How much do the rich need? It's like they don't just want more, they want it ALL. They want everything.

The whole thing sickens me. The shame is, Felicity Huffman's husband is William H. Macy. I've been (now was) a huge fan of his for decades. Now, he's just another greedy rich scumbag who believes the rules shouldn't apply to him.

Mesaman, Miotch, circles and 4 others like this.
  13. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Nothing changes unless all of us insist...good luck with that!:rolleyes:

Bodean, circles and Guy Named Sue like this.
  14. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

when money, power or sex is involved there will be shenanigans.

oldest news ever.

Bodean, Miotch, dbolt and 2 others like this.
  15. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I always thought The Shenanigans was a great band name.

16. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

The coaches taking money have been charged. Some publications have a list of all 50 people charged and their role and their backgrounds. It's pretty fascinating. Disgusting greed mostly.

dante1963 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  17. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Look at the history of any actor's characters and see a lot of the person in the role. I have been in TV/Film for 30yrs and I see big egos however the truth prevails in everyday life. Actors are often playing themselves unless they are exemplary actors:whistling:

dante1963 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  18. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow, it's clear we have left the mischievous stage, but have we gone headlong into shenanigans? It's too late to nip this in the bud, but how do we stop this train wreck before we're up to our necks in knavery?

AncientAx, Bodean, Stratbats and 4 others like this.
  19. Guy Named Sue

Lol

20. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Taxation! taxation!

In my country we have one case where the police are in want of funding for the investigation into the kidnapping of a multi billionairs wife! It is so silly that it is just sad.

Last year another Billionaire donated his hardly used wardrobe of 300 tailor made suits from the fanciest of fashion houses to a Salvation Army auction. The lowest estimate of new value came in at $2.2 million. The auction brought in somewhere around $100.000! That is a loss of at least 2.1M into the gaping hole of nothingness! And a few crumbles to the homeless...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.