Join Strat-Talk Today

Why is this big news?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Mar 14, 2019.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I was thinking along the same lines.. They already are rich and have the money to afford to send their kids to those kinds of colleges. But I think the issue is that their kids aren't quite qualified to get in, so they feel the need to rig the system and bribe them so their kids can get in (spending possibly a lot more money to do so, but that's beside the point). I'm not entirely sure what's so great about those colleges to spend that much more money though. There are plenty of good colleges in the US.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

So... You've got homeless people walking around in fancy handtailored suits over there?

Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where a lot of fancy pirate shirts were donated to the homeless. :D

Bodean likes this.
  3. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

No offense to any proud USC grads out there, but USC is the perfect school for a rich, lazy LA kid to bribe their way into. It is known as university of spoiled children. If you're a rich, connected eighteen year old who wants to stay in LA and wants to party with outher rich 18-22 year olds for four years before going into the family business, it's the perfect place to do it.

Miotch and Chont like this.
  4. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I've noticed that charity has become a very interesting kind of business lately

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  5. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply Shy. Strat-Talk Supporter

@Guy Named Sue
    Hi, Joel-buddy
    I think part of why there was a problem is the rich celebrities whom are charged; .
    they intentionally defrauded multiple regular people. ?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. CalicoSkies

I always thought that my college years wasn't a time to be partying (at least, not too much - not that I really did). I was too focused on my studies and learning to think much about partying. And I think it would be a shame to spend all that money on college only to party it away and not learn much..

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  7. guitarface

Well sure, but if your parents have half a million dollars to pay bribes to get you in in the first instance, well, that's what I'd call different circumstances.

8. CalicoSkies

Even more so, I wouldn't want to waste all that money and trouble by partying my college years away..

9. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    For every one of those trust fund kids whose parents bought their way in there's a deserving kid with a 4.0 + GPA and 1600 SAT score that busted their ass their whole life and didn't get in. It's freaking WRONG.

10. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

CHEATS!

11. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

SCOUNDRELS

Bowmap and rolandson like this.
  12. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Depends on your definition of charity I suppose and on how roomy your conscience is.

There are far worse things going on in the world every day. A bunch of rich folks ripping off another bunch of rich folks to pay a third bunch of rich folks so that the next generation rich folks can go to a good school barely registers on the upset-me-o-meter.

13. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

There are 20 Million people in college in the US. That is an actual number. It is foolish to think all of them got into school based on their own merits. All the real stuff going on and this is considered a scandal? This is the FBI’s big bust? Come on. WHo cares if a handful of rich parents ran a scam to get their kids into a fancy college? This story is 100% media driven. Shouldnt’ even be front page news.

14. guitarface

Rich people getting busted for using their riches to cheat and further rig the system in their favor is a good thing. The FBI can do more than one thing at a time and this is an excellent use of resources. That life is not fair and that the world is rife with corruption is not a good reason for just letting it go.

fezz parka, dante1963 and RobZ69 like this.
  15. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-O-Master

It is big news because there are Hollywood celebrities involved and a scandal sells.
    It should be big news because it is yet another example of how corrupt and money-driven the US society has become.

16. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

I’m not saying let it go, just that it isn’t that big of a story and nobody should be surprised. Still shaking my head at the idea of spending $500,000 to scam your way into a college that costs $45,000. Spend a fortune for the priveledge of spending more money on tuition, room and board.

17. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

“Has become”...this story is as old as history. People using wealth to influence others. Nothing new here. Don’t kid yourself, this happens in every country.

18. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-O-Master

True. Sad. But true.

19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The behavior we are seeing from the super rich, the continual scrambling for "more! more!! more!" with no concerns for ethics or integrity, has convinced me that:

It's all just a game to them. It's a competition. Having kids in the best schools is just about "bragging rights."

The rest of us are dead serious and playing at the same table but it's because we will not be able to survive if we don't. Those people are doing it to.......WIN.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    guitarface, rolandson and RobZ69 like this.
  20. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

I care because I want to set a good example for my kids. Hopefully they will be good examples for theirs. Of course not everyone feels that way. That is the point of having this in the news so we can debate about who cares and who doesn't. Why isn't that obvious?

RobZ69 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.