Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Why should I get another strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stratomatt, Dec 6, 2018.

1. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Hello fellow Strat fans! I'm thinking of getting a used MIM strat. I have a Peavey Predator that plays really well, but not sure it's a keeper. I also have a Squier SE that I have upgraded, and quite honestly, it plays and sounds like a dream. The trem is floating and it literally never goes out of tune, it has vintage split shaft tuners, an upgraged bridge, saddles and block as well as Rose pickups. It is a definite keeper!

So talk me into or out of getting another strat. I'm watching several on eBay and frequent a pawn shop that sometimes gets them in a great prices. I can set up, rewire, and level frets, so I'm not worried about fixing her up as needed. Tell me, when it's all said and done what would be the advantages of getting a MIM Fender vs. just being happy with my Squier? I'm a bit of a cheapskate and don't think I want to go full American, but most MIMs are in my budget. What are the best years to look for? Besides the Standard, are there any models that shuold be on my radar?

Thanks for your time!

Silvercrow likes this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What purpose do you anticipate for another Strat? Are you a performer who needs another guitar that sounds like the one you already own as a backup? Audiences will be happier if you swap instruments when a string breaks or whatever, rather than take a break and replace a string. If this is your situation, get something similar to what you have. A MIM Standard or a CV Squier will fit the bill.

Or do you have something missing in your sonic arsenal, that the Squier and the Predator can't fill? Is there something about the Squier SE that makes you think you want something different? Do you want something with a different size headstock? Different fingerboard material? Different color? Want HSS instead of SSS? Hardtail instead of trem?

And I have to ask, how sure are you that the guitar you're missing is Strat shaped instead of Tele shaped, or something else?

T Guitar Floyd, Nick-O and Tim S like this.
  3. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks for the reply and great questions. I'm not a performer, but hope to play out sometimes and/or get into a band with like minded amateurs. I have quite a collection of guitars, including a tele, Semi Hollow, Les Paul among others. They are all mid level or above. Although the Squier is really nice, it's an entry level guitar. The Squier SE is said to be a "full size" body, and although it is thicker than an affinity, I don't think it is the full thickness of a Satandard Stratocaster. The Peavey is definitely a little heftier feeling and I like that. I'm not too big on tonewood, but I'd like an ash or alder body for the heft or feel of it. Also, I'm leaning toward HSS. I know I can try them out first, but in my experience I don't really get to know enough about a guitar until I bring it home and get it set up to my liking. My original thought was a new #1 strat with the squier as a backup (pickup configurations aside). I'm just wondering if anyone has upgraded from a well loved squier and what advice they might have.

4. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

Apr 16, 2008
    Colorado
    You need another guitar to set up in an alternate tuning to expand your musical horizons & a strat is always a good choice.
    When I started to get back into electric guitars 25 years back my 1st one was a Fender Stratocaster Squire Series that I still have & use, next was a ‘94 Strat Plus that was not all that much better than the MIM that was 1/3 of the cost of the MIA-but its so nice to be able to have multiple setups.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

You need more versatility than those two guitars, that's why!

This may look like a stock ~2000 MIM but it's not. The main feature mod is an Armstrong Blender on the second tone pot. I can dial it from stock SSS into HSH or anywhere between. A little thicker than a single coil or more single bite than a full-on hot humbucker can be tweaked here. 6kohm Strat pickups in series provide a 12kohm hot humbucker.

It's had a few prior owners, stock dual ceramic pickups that sound fantastic after setting them low to the pickguard, fret level (to remove player wear), cavity shielding, general cleanup. The Armstrong Blender mod is a wiring change only, no new parts. Like getting a free Les Paul and who doesn't like free LPs?

[​IMG]

Of course, a Tele is good to get too. Add in a 4-way switch for the series humbucker option.

Now you need to look for two guitars. See how helpful this forum is! You ask about getting one new guitar and here we are suggesting two!

stratomatt likes this.
  7. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My Squier SE is full 1.75" thickness, same as a Fender "full size" body. Is yours thinner than that? Easily checked with a ruler.

Ash and alder are very different in terms of heft. Most Strat bodies in Alder weigh about 4 lbs, while most Ash strat bodies weigh about 5 lbs. Agathis (which is what my Squier SE body is made of, not sure about yours) is extremely similar to Ash in weight and hardness. While poplar and basswood (which have also been used in Squiers) will be lighter, and paulownia (GFS "Lightweight" bodies) is lighter still. Note that Leo Fender chose woods based on availability and aesthetics, not based on sound. He used Ash for clear finish guitars and Alder for opaque finish guitars.

As an aside on tonewood--I believe everything makes a difference, but not necessarily one humans can hear. 66% of the guitar's length is neck; to the extent the wood contributes to sound at all, the body is at most 1/3 of that effect. And the woods mostly influence the note's envelope--attack, decay, sustain etc.

The thing to know about HSS strats is, it's kind of hard to get that classic position 2 "quack" (the Mark Knopfler sound) out of them. Of course, if you're talking about a second Strat, you may be covered in that arena. I really dislike the humbucker used in my HSS Affinity, I found it painfully bright--yes, even brighter than my SE's ceramic single coil. So I replaced it with something else.

I can't really address the issue of "upgrading" from a well set-up and modded Squier to a standard; I upgraded from an Affinity to an SE and found the SE needed most of the same mods the Affinity needed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Yeah, better get a tele.

Or maybe a P bass.

Andrew Wasson and stratobiker like this.
  9. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Mine is between 1-5/8 and 1-3/4. I know it a very small difference. I couldn't swear on a stack of bibles that it's an SE, but based on no serial number and the neck not having the rosewood insert at the truss rod adjustment, and what the seller told me about how they got it for his son, and what another ST member told me after I got it and posted some pictures, that's what I deduced. I think I just really want a "real" Strat!

10. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-Talker

Jul 11, 2014
    Denver
    Why shouldn't you get another strat? That's how the question should be phrased.

11. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Hey those are a couple of beauties jvin248! A blonde/rosewood strat is right up my alley. I put the Armstrong mod on the squier and the 4way on my tele, both very good mods!

12. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Exactly, I don't seem to have any reason not to.

13. Tim S

Tim S Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2015
    NYS
    So you have the Gibson & Fender scale lengths covered. No 25.0" inch PRS scale? :sneaky:

DickBanks and Silvercrow like this.
  14. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    So for those in the know... are there any production years I should stay away from for a MIM, or has the quality been consistent? I seem to recall reading somewhere the early 90's models were really good because Fender had just started production in Ensendada and wanted to prove to the world it was a quality product.

15. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Not yet. :rolleyes: I suppose if I came across a nice SE in my price range I'd have to seriously consider it.

16. Dumpster Chicken

Dumpster Chicken Strat-Talk Member

Nov 21, 2016
    Az
    G&L S500 or Legacy Tribute You won't be sorry.

Silvercrow and stratomatt like this.
  17. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    The Peavey's a keeper...
    Oh
    Oh
    Let me back up
    What year?

18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Why should I get another strat? It's the law..

Bowmap and stratobiker like this.
  19. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    '93. I will probably hang onto it for now, but it doesn't get a lot of play time. I blocked the trem so it's great if I want a strat sound in a different tuning once in a while.

20. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Gotta a black with mixed Sensors and Seymour single....
    Oddly it seems my goto...
    Whaaaaaat....