Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wilkinson Roller Nut ala J. Beck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by roryzepdude, Feb 22, 2011.

1. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

2. W-Tig3r

W-Tig3r Strat-Talk Member

I've heard that! And those who complain about the rattle don't set them up right, I guess? What nut works best? The early split one (which Jeff Beck uses) or the later straight one? I have a Graphtech Tusq nut on my strat myself, and it's not working very well.. I'm eager to try the Wilkinson roller nut!

3. wilsona

wilsona Strat-Talk Member

Check out the Lick Library Learn To Play Jeff Beck DVD by Michael Casswell he plays an early custom shop signature model with a split wilkinson to do all the harmonic stuff.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. guitarman60

guitarman60 Senior Stratmaster

That's not correct. No problems with the Wilkinson. I have bought every one I've seen in the last 24 years and the all work fine. My main guitar (91 J Beck) has seen play everyday since it's purchase date. The reason JB has a stash of them is because they work. Better than my LSR. There isn't any set up on a Wilkinson nut. Keep it as clean as the rest of your guitar and I'll put it up against a Floyd. My worst Wilkinson is better than my best LSR.

6. guitarman60

There is no early/later version. Split versions are for 9s (or thinner) and flat versions are for 10s are larger. 10s will not go through the slot of the split version. I tried... My Jeff Beck came with both versions in the case (early 1991). I had to swap them out. They are the best. I buy all of them I can find. LSRs won't come close. I have them also.

7. wilsona

Why are they not still made? Looks like a (small) opportunity. Bit of a niche market but must be worth someones while doing a small run.

8. wilsona

9. W-Tig3r

Jeff Beck is using the split and he uses super thick low strings. His string set goes from 9-52. He used to use 11-52 gauge strings.... I suppose his nut is filed down to fit larger strings. My question was do the split and straight nuts work equally great?

10. stratstang

stratstang Strat-Talker

I read that JB starts a tour with 9's and progresses to 12's as the tour goes on. This thread has been educational for me. Thanks to the OP and contributors!

11. guitarman60

10s will not go through the slots on split versions. When I bought mine I tried to change to 10s. They wouldn't fit in the high E slot. My dealer made a quick call to Fender. The flat version was in the case. I didn't mean to derail. I still have both and they both work fine. I just prefer 10s or larger. They are SO hard to find. Cheers

12. guitarman60

I just pulled out my original split version out of my case (1991). I took a new .010 string and tried to install it. It won't go through the slot. Wilkinson may have changed the slot sizes over the years but, I remember being bummed out cause my favorite strings wouldn't work on my brand new guitar. Both came with my JB model but Fender later shipped only one nut per guitar. Mine was ordered months before Fender started shipping. I love mine.

13. Armour

Armour Strat-Talker

14. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

15. Seafoam

Seafoam Strat-Talk Member

I use 10-46s on my split wilkinson without any problems.

16. W-Tig3r

I really want to install a Wilkinson nut on my strat, but the neck has a 10 inch radius. I've heard the Wilkinson accepts a 9.5 inch radius. Would it work or not?

17. qblue

qblue Strat-O-Master

18. albala

19. W-Tig3r

Yeah, thanks and all.. But that didn't really answer my question though :p

Actually I have an old Wilkinson roller nut lying about at home. I don't know if It's been used or not, but I got it from a guy who has a 91 Strat Plus and switched to a regular nut because he wanted a more traditional look.

20. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

I have an original 1987/88 split nut I'd sell for the right offer. I personally don't see anything better about a Wilkinson over an LSR.

21. albala

I think you'll be fine. 9.5 and 10 are not that different of a curve. I have an LSR on a 12"er

any interested in parting with that old Wilkinson you have sitting around?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]