Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fenderbender75, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Fenderbender75

Fenderbender75 New Member!

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    I have a neck that came off of a MIM roadhouse deluxe. I wanted to find a black body to put the neck on. Would any MIM body from around the same year work? Sorry if this seems obvious but this is the first time I've tried to "frankenstein" a guitar and wanna make sure I'm doing everything I can for the best end result. Thanks!

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum.....

It may bolt on easily, you may have to fill and re-drill the neck holes.....it should fit the pocket though....50/50 shot on the holes lining up right so the strings are aligned properly with the neck and bridge.....

3. Fenderbender75

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bought a sunburst roadhouse body for the neck. Im honestly too scared to mess with filling and drilling the holes.
    What I don't get is why would the holes not line up automatically. I can understand if the holes wouldn't match up if it were a MIM neck to USA, MIJ or squire body, but a MIM neck and body... Why would it be a 50/50? Just curious... Thanks again!

Synapse2k likes this.

4. railroadman

railroadman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    I've swapped countless MIM & MIA necks- never had to redrill anything.

I actually put a partscaster together a while back with a '16 Roadhouse neck and an Allparts body- dropped right in, and everything lined up perfectly.

I wouldn't sweat it- enjoy your build, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I've switched necks and bodies between manufacturers and models and never had to re-drill one. Not saying it can't happen, but hasn't to me.

6. Fenderbender75

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    Thanks for the reply. I spoke with someone at a local shop and he is saying the same thing so I may just send the sunburst body back lol.

amstratnut likes this.

7. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've also never had to fill and drill necks either.

Now PG's are another story...

8. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

This is how I do it. Put all the screws through the neckplate and body, and fit the neck on - if it goes on. If it doesn't, you need to fill the holes in the neck.

I then take a bit of cotton, red so that it shows up. Tape one end to the headstock so that it goes midway between the 3rd and 4th string slots on the nut. Tape the other end to the body so that it fits between the 3rd and 4th string bridge saddles. If your neck is in line, the cotton should pass over the centre of all the dot markers. If it doesn't, try loosening the screws a tad and moving the neck until it does.

If you can't - again, you need to fill and drill the neck holes.

If the neck is too wide for the socket, you can shave a little off each side of the neck. If it's too narrow, you can fit thin sheets of veneer to the sides of the socket. I've had to do both in my time!

Fenderbender75 likes this.

9. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2017
    America
    Only holes I’ve had to fill and redrill was a mij thinline Jaguar neck, the holes didn’t line up with the mim classic player jaguar body.

In other notes, I did attempt to use an old duo sonic neck as an anchor for a router jig and the holes didn’t line up with the body holes so I didn’t use it.

10. Fenderbender75

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    Ok. So, I spoke with someone at fender earlier on the phone. This guy says that if the body that I want originally had a neck with 21 frets and the neck I want to use has 22 frets that I will have a hard time getting it to intonate properly. This doesn't make sense to me. Why couldn't you simply adjust the bridge saddles to compensate?

11. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The person you spoke with at Fender has no idea what they're talking about....must be somebody relatively new.....

22 fret Strat neck will have an overhang....it's the same 25.5" scale length as a 21 fret neck....and it will intonate in pretty much the same exact saddle positions as a 21 fret neck....

The only time it wouldn't work is if it's a 22 fret neck with no overhang like on a Fender Mustang or Jaguar.....24" scale or 24.75" scale...

1980, CyFan4036 and Fenderbender75 like this.

12. Fenderbender75

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    Thanks. So much conflicting information out there. I was just reading on another forum and some people say it will work. Others say no. I guess Im just going to have to take a chance (which I don't like to do haha).

CyFan4036 likes this.

13. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Take a chance, it'll be worth it!

Fenderbender75 likes this.

14. Fenderbender75

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    I played it safe and just kept the roadhouse body.
    Now Im having issues with the preamp circuit. When the switch is pushed in (preamp bypassed) I get a signal. When the switch it out (preamp engaged) no signal. Replaced battery and still nothing. Any ideas?

15. Fenderbender75

Apr 9, 2018
    San antonio
    Found the issue. A wire from the battery pack wasn't properly soldered. Fixed it.

CyFan4036 likes this.