Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Windows 10 updates

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, May 22, 2018.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The latest Windows 10 updates are compulsory, even though they include various features (such as touch screen operation & voice recognition) that are of no use to me whatsoever. I know a guy whose work desktop was frozen by these updates a couple of months ago, & it took him two weeks to get it fixed, but the latest updates went through on my desktop last week & all seemed well. So I wasn't too bothered when my laptop went through the same cycle at the weekend.

I should have been. The updates seem to have killed the thing stone dead - it goes into an endless cycle of repeating itself & failing to complete the task. It's like Groundhog Day but a lot less fun. :mad:

My mate who is excellent with computers couldn't sort it out over the phone last night so I've given up & ordered a new cheap & basic laptop I'll be collecting later today - I go away a lot & I can't imagine not having a computer of some kind when I'm away for a couple of weeks. And I need a reliable backup in case my main desktop PC dies, which seems quite likely....... So I'm £250 worse off - thanks a lot, Microsoft! :mad:

I don't expect any answers here, I'm just venting, but be warned that the latest updates can be very dangerous!!!!

Groovey and Elvie like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Rinse and repeat...

Omar likes this.

3. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I bailed from Windows many years ago.

Sorry to hear of your pain. You might be able to rescue your old laptop by installing Linux. Free and fast.

4. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't know anything like enough about computers to be able to install an OS I know nothing about on a machine that's determined to stop me accessing it!

s5tuart likes this.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    A full restore might rescue the laptop temporarily, but as soon as Windows 10 starts updating again the problem will most likely recur.

Linux is great, but only if you're interested in computers, it's not blessed with great software.

Raiders757 and Omar like this.

6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    How does one do "a full restore" on a laptop without a DVD drive & which didn't come with a "Restore" CD?

7. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    There should be a hidden partition on the hard drive. On my laptop you tap F10 while it's booting to get to the restore screen. Be warned though, it usually wipes everything off your hard drive before it reload the original Windows image.

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France

Well that's certainly convinced me to stay with XP... and maybe upgrade to Windows 7 if I'm feeling a 'leap into the unknown' is necessary, or more likely Linux..

Re Windows 10 and updates.. Just the other day I was doing some research on a car problem for a friend using his computer with W10. Out of nowhere came an update screen that totally took over the computer. Totally cut us off from what we were doing. No matter how we tried we couldn't postpone the update (which my friend didn't want), couldn't get rid of the update screen. Turned off in the end.

I do have to ask.. whose feckin computer is this anyway.. ownership, if it ever was, is certainly not in the hands of the 'owner'.. :thumbd:

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Tried that last night with my mate on the phone talking me through it. Didn't work.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    That's why, on the day they announced "Free Windows 10 update for all Windows 7/8 users", I turned off all updates my Windows 7 laptop. "But that's not secure!" I hear you cry. But it works, Microsoft can't sabotage it or infest my computer with the virus that is Windows 10. Windows 7 will stay until the computer dies, then I will have to decide what to do next.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Take it to your mate and let him have a go himself. Have you ever tried helping somebody set up their guitar over the phone? Much quicker and easier to go over there and do it yourself.

s5tuart, velvet_man and jvin248 like this.

12. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    I've often wondered how a company gets so big by making stuff that doesn't work.

RJ Squirrel likes this.

13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    He's in Brighton, I'm in London. I don't have the time to drive down there & vice versa before I go away again at the end of next week. Maybe, in future, we can get it sorted & keep it as a spare. But as of today, I don't see that I have any choice but to replace it. Which is what I'll be doing in the next hour or so.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

14. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    I run win 10 on everything here at home, like 5 pc's and yesterday purchased a used laptop again win 10. Have had 8 and 10 since inspection with very few to no issues.

Few issues - updates download upon their own desire. This does not bother me, except when streaming Netflix and the show keeps rebooting.

Love all of my win 10, no my name is not Bill,

Stratapotamus, Mesaman and Elvie like this.

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Mine has a problem with one particular update but other than that I'm not seeing any issues

16. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    G'day mate,

I had lots of trouble with my ( then ) new computer & W-10 around a year ago or so, & I think I've found a solution, as it since has not crashed, though only plays up occasionally... These are the steps to take that may help you with your new lap-top....

1. Log on to the internet.
    2. Near the clock on the lower RH screen, right click on the "notifications" symbol to access "open Action Center", open this this up.
    3. Once here, you can access the "VPN" settings, & turn them on.

Once on, these settings will only allow the most important up-dates from Windows, as you've declared a "metered network setting", that will only allow super critical up-dates. ( Apparently my machine has not updated since January 2017, so this is why it still works OK )....

Also downloading & installing "Spy-bot Anti-beacon" will kill-off any data robbing microsoft spyware, & save you huge amounts of data loss. As an example, I'm now saving around 60% of my total data consumption when compared to earlier consumption with the same time spent on the internet...So I've been saving quite a bit of money here, that I didn't even know I was spending LOL !

God luck, & I hope this helps,

Rastus

17. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Oh, I had read about that "metered network setting", but I hadn't thought about selecting it. I am often on a restricted download internet service when I'm away, so that could be ideal. So all that I'll be depriving myself of is new features that I don't want & don't need? Yep, that works for me! :cool:

Nice one, thanks for that. All I currently use is CCleaner & AVG Free - I used to use Spybot Search & Destroy, but for some reason I stopped using that. Maybe I'll try the one you suggested - I assume it's free?

18. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I deploy software and create new images for our PC's at work some 5000 pc's. In the old days I created new images about once a year with Windows 7 just to keep the updates current in the images. Now with Windows 10 I have to do it every 6 months and the image I deployed for the six months prior to that has a major update to it's version I have to deploy. It's like being on a never ending carousel.
    To the OP you could convert that old laptop to a Linux machine like Mint or Ubuntu and have a GUI similar to windows and use it till the end of time. I have one laptop I run Mint on and though it does update monthly like windows it never fails or reboots during the updates. I can do pretty much anything with it I can do with a Windows PC.
    I guess my point is I have never been a hater of Windows as an operating system some were better than others Windows 7 was a good platform but everything that has come after it has be just crap.

Lovnmesomestrat and Rastus like this.

19. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

Yes, the Spy-bot Anti-beacon is free, & there's also an "options" icon on the main screen that will allow you to eliminate another dozen or so spies too !!!

After installing, it may /may not be beneficial to select it to "Run as an administrator", just to make sure it has been assigned administrator authority.

Should you also acquire the regular "Spy-bot Search & Destroy", download it from a company machine & onto a thumb-drive ( or other ), & then install it BEFORE allowing your new lap-top to jump-on-the-internet...This will allow you to install the software in the computers "new" state, & allow you to create what's known as a "white-list", that will shorten scan times by at least 1/2 the needed time, as the program will be protecting your computer & software, before being corrupted by the internet. Access "advanced settings" to do so.

It may seem like a lot of trouble to go to, but so far, so good, after a very shaky start with my new lap-top !

I've also found that "Panda"' is a great free anti-virus too, with no-adds etc or continuous up-date reminders...But then again, I haven't registered it with my e-mail either lol, but it still works fine IMO after all this time.

Good luck, & all the best,

Rastus

20. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Thanks. What is a company machine & what is a thumbdrive? Off to get the new laptop now.