Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Windows 10 updates

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratman323, May 22, 2018.

1. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    I got fed up with windows 10 continuous update cycle breaking things also, I back on windows 7 . No going back.

Rastus and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

2. Black Strat Guy

Black Strat Guy Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Really....?

Well, just from the top of my head....
    like,....

download it online, and install....

3. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    Fear is doing just fine on the world's political fronts, thank you very much. :thumbd:

Will Lefeurve and Nick Evans like this.

4. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    Windows XP won't run on my PCs, some of my apps won't work on XP. XP was an excellent OS, If it was not for the facts I would still use it myself. I hope to keep W7 running as long as I can.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Absolutely.. and we're being charged for it too.. some business model.. :thumbd:

Good for you Nick.. keep on keepin on with 7.. :thumb:

6. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas

I'm having this same problem. If you check the update info windows claims they're working on the problem. Until then, do what I did, pause the updates.

7. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 11, 2014
    At Home
    I paused the updates as long as I could on my Dell laptop, however there is a point where win10 will update it's self whether you want it to or know - my dell laptop is now a nice paper-weight and will ask what language I want to use and the next screen is worthless no matter what I choose it says it can't find it... the only command on the 2nd screen is "shutdown", which works perfect!!

I'm trying to find a Win 7 dvd that is NOT a reinstall disc or a "BUILDERS" disc, neither of which will work on my Dell - the builders disc is for a computer that is new..... anyone know where I can get such an animal?????

THANKS,
    LMSS

8. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Right after I migrated over and DL'd 10, it updated on a daily basis for at least a week.

Call me crazy but if I just downloaded it why would there be updates?

9. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

I've used Ubuntu for the past 10 years, but the most recent version is really glitchy with some of the graphics. Annoying things happen like web browsers freezing after viewing videos in full screen, and options not appearing when right-clicking on things. When you look online there's all sorts of workarounds, but no actual fixes. Bah! :mad:

10. HCarlH

HCarlH Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I was a Microsoft/Windows snob since 3.1 until version 10 came out. Garbage.

I'm now all Linux for general computer duties and Mac OSX for music.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I stopped using any of the ‘Buntus because they watered down the security with their root escalation from a user account being pretty much like Windoze now.
    Check out PCLinuxOS, it’s been solid like a rock for me. KDE4 does prefer an ATi graphics card though.

12. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne

This response always cracks me up.

Caller: My computers dead can you help me.
    Response: Just download this simple fix.
    Caller: Let's try again. My computers dead and unless your a magician it wont be downloading anything.

stratman323, Rastus and Hairy Bear like this.

13. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

You're welcome ! And I do hope that your new computer delivers minimum stress ! If there's one more thing that you can do, it is to make your own "Start-Up Disc" from the "Recovery Menu". ( You'll find this within the "system-restore" section, where the "Security & Maintenance" page lives...

Computers used to come with a start-up disc, but they don't anymore...If you make one now, it may well be all that your old computer needs to regain a second life, & also you may need it for your new computer, should it not display anything on-screen when you first start-it-up, until these crazy W-10 updates settle down.

Apparently the operating system fails to load-up sometimes...And this happened a few times & regularly ( about every 2-weeks ) for about the first 3-months of my lap-tops life, but I haven't had to use the start-up disc for quite a while now...-( touch wood lol ).

Enjoy your new machine,

Rastus

14. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    My favorite: "Unattended children will be given a Red Bull and throwing stars"

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

15. Black Strat Guy

Mar 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    I'm safe to assume the OP's laptop is not the only PC in the world were he can connect to the internet and make the download, and also pretty sure there are things called "usb drives" or similar, that can store and transport an OS from one pc to another... ;)
    But i don't know... I really think up some crazy stuff now and again so.... :whistling:

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    You should throw this up over in the sign thread, along with “Unattended children will be given coffee and a puppy.”

17. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Strat-O-Master

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    I don't think it is safe to assume.

It just gets me the no of support people I have rung to say I have problems with my internet connection and the twits ask me to download something.
    The support people are broken and the distribution model is broken.

EDIT: As an analogy. I run out of petrol on a stretch of road. I call the auto club who say to me "Yeah, just drive to the next town, you'll find a petrol station there"

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    stratman323, s5tuart and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

18. anderz

anderz Strat-O-Master

May 4, 2014
    Denmark
    I updated from Windows 7 ultimate to 10 for Free.

The motherboard crazed properly due to a 3rd party software which could charge phones by usb.

The first sign was mouse dongle not installing. I returned mouse to store and got a new one identical. It works to this day but slowly bios got a burned smell and never worked again.

Anyway on 2008 hardware it went and Windows 10 as the ssd had no problems booting it after a few minutes. I had to reactivate through Microsoft by chat.

So far I have gotten all updates and no problems.

The problems is usually 3rd party drivers and software not compatible with Windows 10.

19. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    This is one of Paul Allen's yachts
    [​IMG]

20. Black Strat Guy

Mar 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    I'm sure there are some twits on customer support services just like everywhere.
    But for the most part, pretty sure what they mean is: "...just go to another pc with an internet connection, make this download for the fix, take it to your pc and install it...."

It's not exactly the 90's anymore.... You can assess the internet and download whatever you want on thousands of different places, and from a large number of devices, not to mention public places with pc's and internet you can use...