Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wiring for one tone and one volume

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by kenbaker, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kenbaker

kenbaker Strat-Talk Member

I have just got into fender guitars and I bought a strat. I have a problem though. The volume knob is in my way big time. What I would like to do is eliminate one of my tones and move the volume knob down. Can anyone out there help me with the wiring of this? I have been looking for some time now and its driving me nuts.

Ken

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hey, man
    Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

This link from Seymour Duncan, might help you..It's for a 3 single coil, one volume, one tone, setup with 5 way switch.

Wiring Diagram

You might need a new pickguard that has 2 control knob holes, and a switch slot though.

Thanks..

3. kenbaker

Thanks

That was very helpful. Also, if I want to do a fat strat with this set up should I use 500k pots or are the 250s ok? Thank you so much!

Ken

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stevierayfan91

Hey, man
    No problem :) Hmm, by a "Fat Strat", do you mean an HSS one with bridge humbucker and 2 single coils?

Or 2 humbuckers?

If it's an HSS, then make the volume a 500 K(to retain clarity on the HB), and the tone a 250 K.

If it's an HH with two hums, then make the volume a 500 K , and the tone a 500 K also.

Do you have any more questions I can help you with? I like to help!

Thanks,

6. kenbaker

Good info and makes sense. I am sure I will have more questions. Thank you so much!

Ken

7. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

you could use a 300k for the volume if its a master for both humbuckering and single coil.

8. stevierayfan91

That is true :) What effect would a 300 K pot have? I am unsure about that, because the guitar I had with those was always muddy sounding no matter what I did amp EQ wise :confused:

@Ken
    No problem :) What pickups are you thinking of going with? If we know that we , can tell you a bit more about what pots to use, based on the overall tone of those pickups, lol.

Thanks, buds.

9. kenbaker

I am going to go with the burst bucker pro on the bridge and probably some alnico gfs singles for the mid and neck.

Another wiring question. I was thinking of putting an on off button where the empty hole will be for the tone I am taking out. Any advise on wiring that?

Thanks!

Ken

10. stevierayfan91

hey, man
    Gibson BurstBuckers are great pickups..I think that'll be a good bridge HB for you.. :) I've heard mixed reviews on GFS, I would reccomend Tonerider single coils, or Fender or Duncan ones, lol.

So you want to move the volume and tone down one, and be able to have neck and bridge on at the same time or all 3 pickups on at the same time?

I think you'd need to make the tone a push/pull so you can do that, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find a diagram , sorry!

P.S
    I had a Gibson once, and the 300 K pots were kind of muddy sounding to me..I'd go with the 500 K volume for the BurstBucker, and the 250 K tone, lol. The 500 K volume for the BurstBucker would add clarity and retain some top end better..

Did the earlier diagram assist you? I am very sleepy, but you can PM me if you need more help, OK?

Thanks

11. kenbaker

I want to do an on off button. More of a hole filler than anything. Some bands use these. The only one I can think of right now is rancid and I am not sure if you are familiar with them.

Your wiring diagram is perfect! I will be able to achieve what I need. Thanks again.

Ken

12. stevierayfan91

Awesome, glad I was able to help some :) For the on/ off buttton do you want to do like what David Gilmour's does, where it selects neck on, reg. of the 5 way switch pos. so you can get neck and bridge together an all 3 pickups on?

Or do you want to have it work as a switch to do Tom Morello type things, where he makes those cool, stuttery effects? I am not sure how to do that..I can't play his stuff, so I've never really looked into that kind of mod, lol.

If you're gonnna have a shop wire it, the guy there would probably know what kind of mini-switch to use, bud.

13. kenbaker

Ok, Its called a momentary on off switch. It would be the stuttery effect. Its kinda fun. On my less paul I just use the stock switch for this effect. I found a schematic for it late last night.

Ken

14. stevierayfan91

Ahh, i see. I like Tom Morello's playing too..He's very innovative!

Are you going to mount the momentary on off switch on the lower cutaway like he did on his black "Soul Power" guitar? If you put it there, it would be easier to use when tapping to add cool effects to the tapping :)

Let me know how the wiring turns out for you, OK?
    Also,
    My guitar is getting upgrade CTS pots, and a vintage 50's tone cap, this week! I am excited too :D

Thanks, bro.

15. kenbaker

I think I might just put it in the empty pot hole. Yeah I will for sure let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Ken

16. omicronkappa278

omicronkappa278 Strat-Talk Member

I hate the volume knob too. I used a Telecaster wiring diagram and change the strat to as such:
    [​IMG]

17. roadtonever

roadtonever Strat-Talk Member

For future reference: [​IMG]