Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wood used for strats from 1960 to 1968

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitarman555, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archetype

archetype Strat-Talker

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Glue joints impeding resonance is a theory that has no consistency in practice. You can have a multi-piece body that is very resonant or a multi-piece body that isn't, a one-piece body that is very resonant or a one-piece body that isn't. The characteristics are unique because the hunk of wood in question is unique.

Resonance in solid bodies is a quality we have collectively decided to value, but with a solid body guitar there is no quantifiable relationship between resonance (unplugged) and tone (plugged in). Corelation is not causation. A "resonant" solid body can have great tone or crap tone when electrified. This is debated endlessly because we tend to make up our own beliefs about it. Mojo is usually involved.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    As others have told you this line of thinking is incorrect and continues due to the internet and folks spreading misinformation.

Again the idea of a resonating electric guitar is another idea brought about by forums and misinformation. None of the body resonance in an electric guitar translates to the pickups. Acoustics are a different story.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

3. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I can never get my bends together on a 'baseball bat' neck. Bloody strings keep disappearing over the edge... ;):whistling:

4. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Most people don’t know if it’s a Gibson or a Fender or a Gretsch or a solid body or a hollow body or with humbuckers or single coils or playing through and tube amp or a solid state amp or any other of a million things we argue about online.

They just know if it sounds good to them or not.

Ebidis and Stratoskater like this.

5. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    All this wood and glue stuff barely matters in an electric guitar. Acoustic is a whole different ballgame, then even the type of glue matters. Magnetic pickups don't much care about wood.

Nate D, Fuzzpop and Stratoskater like this.

6. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    This is dead on.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    For what it's worth, the 1964 Fender catalog simply said that they were made from "selected hardwoods".

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

8. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    You want to know where wood being one continuous piece really matters? The tree! (before it's chopped down) :D

henderman, ZlurkCorzDog and Ebidis like this.

9. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Thanks for posting those sheets Ron. :thumb:

Always love to read guitar history.

simoncroft, Nate D and stratman323 like this.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It's rare that there is so much agreement on ST about a subject as there has been in this thread. Looks like the message is getting through, at least here.

11. Nioniocaster

Nioniocaster Strat-Talk Member

Sep 30, 2017
    North Pole
    When you buy a violin you want to sound like a violin. Assuming a violin with steel strings wouldn't be the best option for playing classicals. In few words I mean that when I got my strat I wanted to get the sound of 60s or 70s. Back them stratocasters were produced by various wood pieces. So if I had the option/cash to get a single piece body or a multi piece body I prolly would selecting the multi piece one, just to get closer to the older sound.

Something better = Something different

I agree that weight/density might be more important and I also wish I could hear the difference xD

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's true of most guitar players too... Blindfold 'em and their "expertise" erodes to zero... like a brick dropped in a vacuum..

rk

crashbelt, Ebidis and Nate D like this.

13. dbolt

dbolt Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 17, 2014
    NC
    I know of at least one 59 Strat that is two pieces. Mine.

Guitarman555 and Nate D like this.

14. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Man you look like you're having the time of your life in that profile pic. Sweet!

dbolt likes this.

15. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I can tell when I play my guitars... sometimes, but if you asked me what was on a recording I’d be wrong probably 8-9 times outta 10. Lol and with all the cork sniffing out there you’d think we all had bionic ears.

I have certain things I like in a guitar, but that’s because I like them, not because they make my tone better or worse than somebody who uses a different combination of things.

16. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    Yep. The guy at the band saw randomly selected two or three pieces from the top of the pile.

S Mac

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    henderman, Ebidis and Nate D like this.

17. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    That's true except:

Those who state that the way wood vibrates has no affect on the sound coming from the pickups are wrong.
    Vibrating wood affects the vibrating strings which DO influence the sound coming from the pickups.
    Other wise all guitars with the same pickups and hardware would sound the same when played through the same amp. And they don't. And you can even swap necks and usually hear a pronounced difference.

Problem is; it's totally unpredictable. You can't predetermine the voice of a guitar by choosing alder or ash or one, two, three or more pieces of wood. It's random.
    Which is why the only way to make a choice purchasing an electric guitar is to actually play the guitars plugged in and listen.

S Mac

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    absolutely true... but the effect is much like a different pair of shoes will alter your gait .. few would notice it... but that doesn't mean it's not present...

But the issue oft overlooked is that the contribution of the wood is a symbiotic component in the sonic confluence... it cannot be separated for analysis... it's sonic contribution is not singularly identifiable.. it is dependent upon how all the other sonic contributors meld with it..

You cannot take a guitar apart, change the body, reassemble it, then declare that any sonic change is because of the new bodies' wood... simply taking an existing guitar apart and then reassembling it, with no apparent change will alter it's voice... how would one separate that phenomena from the change the wood is contributing? Can't happen..

and more times than not the wood's contribution is no more identifiable than if you'e making a pot of stew and the choice is Natural Sea Salt, or Morton's Iodized Table sale... difference . . . yeah.. but it would tale a spectral analysis to identify it.. gotta HP acoustic spectral analyzer . or perfect pitch? Yeah . . I didn't think so... :whistling:

Getting hung-up on stuff that does not matter, that contributes nothing to your performance, that's stupid.. getting hung-up on how much your performance would improve if your practice regimen were actually a practice regimen.. is not... do something wonderful for those that have to listen to ya.. go practice..:p

rk

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Yep! Just like Ikea, use every piece of wood to keep costs and wastage to a minimum.

20. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Absolutely agree, the funny thing is today we can probably switch out all the wood parts in a guitar to something else, something that is much more consistent and predictable but what is the fun in that? Most of us like that guitars have their own voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.