Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wood used for strats from 1960 to 1968

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitarman555, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "Next time i'll know better..."

Don't give yourself so much credit, my comment wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. It was directed at threads where people get their panties in a twist when someone disagrees with them on an internet forum. After seeing it and modding threads thousands of times it gets a little stale.

Nate D and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Lets try to establish a "baseline" ..

Wood does influence the final voice of the guitar... that's a definitive....

Wood's sonic contribution HAS to work in conjunction with everything else that is ALSO influencing the final voice... so everything else ALDO influences the voice of the guitar.. that also is a definitive…

Wood's contribution Mixes with, blends in, every other sonic contribution, thus it becomes an integral part of that final voice....

Wood's contribution cannot be isolated as a singular component of that voice...

Each individual piece of wood will contribute a different sonic component, and each different species of wood will do so also.

A wood’s species MIGHT result in a voice possessing specific sonic qualities, but due to the FACT that whatever the wood is contributing, it is also modified by the addition of the other contributors, the expected tonal characteristic may be magnified to the point of objection or diminished to the point of being virtually nonexistent. It is a veritable variable.

Wood’s sonic contribution is a random occurrence. Some Luthiers can develop an intrinsic “sense” that can compel the rejection of a piece of wood or embrace it, as we listen to the sounds emanating as it’s machined.

That is an Artistic component and cannot be rendered down into a mechanized procedure… You either got it, or ya don’t.. as in most artistic fields.

Conclusion… wood’s contribution is present, however it is NOT necessary for the production of a quality instrument. As has been proven and illustrated ad nauseam, a very nice sounding guitar can be produced using ZERO wood.

Now., the kicker. . . I have been thinking about this over the past few weeks…

Everyone .. I mean YOU too… is looking at the wrong things for “tone”. The actual guitar is a relatively small contributor… They all pretty much sound like electric guitars…

First thing is . . . YOU, can you play and play well.. are you a master of your instrument.. If no, and that’s the correct answer for the majority of ya… then end of conversation.

You haven’t developed skills to the level where the actual voice of the guitar is instrumental in your music…

But say you are an accomplished guitarist… then you have “grown” beyond the minutiae and you recognize what peripheral influences can do…

the resonance of wood is only a small fraction of the sum sonic total.. but a really huge component that resonates is the speaker in the box, and the box….

Most just live with the cheep imported driver in the box.. having no idea what a JBL, Eminence, Electro-Voice, Celestion etc., can bring to the “sonic table”.. nope most wanna go on about glue joints, caps, paint, wood, all insignificant factors..

But say ya do have a “better” driver in the amp.. next factor… where do ya play…. if in your “Cave” you are in control… I won’t get into it, but just do a little research on creating a acoustical neutral listing environment…

However if you’re looking for “tone” in the venue in which you play.. that’s a fools errand..

You have no control over the acoustic disaster… unless you’re playing an an auditorium engineered for live music, give it up…. Your “Sound guy” might be able to “punch” the EQ a bit to overcome the ambient reverberation characteristic of most venues, but bud… you are NOT gonna punch through the sonic barrier in a place with concrete floors, cheep paneling, and no ceiling…

Point is, much of what you hear that you think is the guitar is the guitar influenced by the acoustic signature of everything else that’s not your guitar…

Oh yeah, how many other amps, monitors, etc., are in close proximity? Look up passive radiator…

and what do ya think an open mike, picking up everything and reprocessing it through whatever is doing to your sound? Hum….

Playing live? You’re at the mercy of the merciless..

rk

Bob the builder, simoncroft and Cerb like this.

3. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    I have, maybe, stupid question. Do you tap body plank to determine "tap tone" and try to guess how it will sound when 1/4 of it will be removed, shaped, neck and other things attached? Can you guess that this or that piece of wood will sound great at the end?

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    A two piece body is ideal, even more so than a one piece. Let me explain.

The glued seam connecting the two pieces of wood, which is the ideal number as I mentioned, creates a stiffer area along the joint.

Vibrations travel from the springs, the strings, and anything else that decides to jiggle into that stiff seam, and then radiate outward into the two pieces of the body!!

Those two pieces of wood (seamed together in the middle) start 'flapping' in a very small way like wooden wings. (You can't see this.)

Which creates the most resonant and wonderful guitar body.

5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I first became aware that the quality of the mics used for vocals affected the sound of the rest of the band decades ago, when I noticed something I didn't like about a band's bass guitar sound – a sort of 'wolf tone' on one particular note. After a while, I realized that the nasty resonance wasn't coming from the bass amp on stage, it was coming from the sound reinforcement speakers that were ostensibly only carrying a few vocals.

Cheap mics have irregular frequency responses, so everything that bleeds into them comes out sounding worse than it went in!

Anyone who fancies a little light reading on this topic could do worse than to check this thread out: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/overcoming-venue-acoustics.294797/

6. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nope... and what good would a guess be...

Taping only reveals the wood's sensitivity to one frequency... Perhaps it's gone unnoticed, but a guitar is capable of quite a few other frequencies... so the one MAY be indicative of the potential for a "wolf note" but other than that, it's as useless as a Honey Baked Ham franchise in Dubai ..

The sound emanating from the wood, as it's worked, is more representative of a "white noise", a blend of all frequencies often used in acoustic analysis... it can reveal a better indication of what the final voice will be like. It why JBL etc dosen't tap a speaker cone to see how it's gonna perform they use white noise...

A large manufacturer cannot do it that way.. because the guys running the machinery would have to be artistically inclined to know what to listen to.. it's easier to have one "spokes-person" bonking the lumber simply because few realize what a farce that is, and it makes for good PR...

rk

Ebidis and Raimonds like this.

7. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    guys are still hung-up in that vibrations, AKA resonance,.,, like, devoid that effect, the guitar HAS to suck... that's just plain wrong....

A guitar is not dependent on any resonance occurring within the body, as a predicate for it's being superb... it's no more necessary in a guitar than a spoiler wing screwed to the trunk is for a successful trip to and from the local Piggly Wiggly.. with or without the car functions as transport...

with or without the internal resonances, a guitar CAN perform better than whatever you have. and in the hands of a quality guitarist probably will.

Quit crippling yourselves with the "resonance" bunk .. it is simply a characteristic of wood.. and it can be a disaster if not checked correctly. It has to be nothing more than one factor in a very complicated sonic calculus.

rk

Thrup'ny Bit and Stratoskater like this.

8. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Thanks, sounds reasonable and confirms some of my thoughts. What about acoustic instruments? Would taping reveal that this or that wood will make good top or the final sound is much more determined by the construction of the instrument?

9. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    an acoustic is a completely different concept.. so yes it can reveal some characteristics present in the acoustic consortium. Do NOT confuse that with anything relative to an electric guitar.

r

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Dude you need to read my comments a little better. You not mentioning the number of pieces of wood in your posts is exactly why your comments were tangent to the topic. This thread is about the number of pieces Fender used in bodies. Yes it did break off into comments about is said number of pieces affect tone but still those comments are pertaining to the number of pieces, not density, not type of wood and not anything else but number of pieces. I agree with you that the type and density of the wood contributes to the sonic characteristics of a guitar but that is a topic for another well hashed out thread already present in many iterations on here.

Also you stated you read the entire thread. If so they you would have seen several posters says things like this has been discussed thousands of times on here or oh no not this thread again. That should have given you a clue that this is topic is played out on here. Still not saying you shouldn't participate in it, just giving you insight as Lonn did to why the responses are what you are seeing.

11. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    It's been a busy week chasing seals and penguins.

12. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2016
    New york
    What exactly leads you to believe this?

13. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic or I'm at least hoping he is, because I laughed pretty hard when I read that post.

14. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Er... Polar bears live in the Arctic, around the North Pole. Penguins live in the Antarctic, in the region of the South Pole. They never meet!

15. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    I wonder.. is there an eHarmony site for arctic and antarctic critters... maybe they meet for a week in Aruba.. on one of those clothing optional beaches.... nothing like a hottie penguin, nekid catchin' some 'rays" with a Mojito within reach.. :p

rk

Stratoskater likes this.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    He's not doing a very good job of living up to his disguise, is he? o_O

ZlurkCorzDog and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Of all the things to have weird fantasies about...... :eek:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

18. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

May 28, 2009
    Wales UK
    Ron didn't say that his computer has been hacked by evil forces[you know who you are] trying to make out he,s a blubber fetishist

19. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah it's the Russians.... :p

r

Stratoskater likes this.

20. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    I've been ratted.