Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Worrying about my refret.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by garyhoos1, Dec 9, 2017.

1. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Silver Member

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    It’s been two weeks and today he called me to say the wire was still not at the shop it was in transit from Portugal have a bad feeling about this.

This is my 79 my numero uno I was supposed to have got it back today.

2. Gary Gnu

Gary Gnu Strat-Talk Member

Apr 4, 2016
    sunny fla
    Wire from Portugal? I would go and get my guitar TODAY! If you don't feel right about this guy doing the work, don't let him do it! Trust your gut on this one. The guy might not screw your guitar up, but if he does, it's screwed up forever. Don't blindly hand your #1 guitar over for major surgery unless you are 100% confident in the person doing the work. Maybe let him refret a beater guitar for you first, then, if the work is acceptable, let him do your #1.

3. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Get your guitar back NOW!!!

garyhoos1 likes this.

4. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Have you had this person do work for you before? If not, I might have taken in my #3 and had them replace the cowboy frets, and set the intonation, as a test subject to be scrutinized. Trust is key.

Hope it turns out for the best G.

garyhoos1 and T Bone Slort like this.

5. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Listen to your instinct, and (as @Gary Gnu and @RB522 say) get it back asap.

garyhoos1 likes this.

6. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2015
    Latvia
    Nothing is wrong with Portugal, I know some online shop in Portugal which carries a lot of good stuff, they have nice selection of fretwire as well. Shipping times from them are between 1 to 3 weeks, nothing unusual, they provide tracking number and so far nothing was lost during transit. I think you all overreact. Guy havent even started work and everyone already shouts: take it back, blablabla.

metale, Electgumbo and garyhoos1 like this.

7. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    garyhoos1 likes this.

8. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Ummmm it sucks, but I’ll say, in my experience, really good techs/luthiers almost always run long. It’s one of the reasons I dred taking my guitars in.

garyhoos1 likes this.

9. garyhoos1

Jan 28, 2012
    I’m not knocking Portugal at all I have had recommendations about this lad maybe he’s to laid back and I’m wound up..

Going into town to see him tomorrow, he called me earlier.

10. garyhoos1

Jan 28, 2012
    s5tuart likes this.

11. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    In another thread the “luthier” promised a quick turn around and yup he did, and the job was crap. Taking a long time isn’t in itself a bad thing. On the other hand, promising it by a certain time and not having it indicates poor management, which is a red flag.

felis and garyhoos1 like this.

12. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Count me among those who, after reading these horror stories, are just going to get a new neck when the frets wear out.

papergoblin likes this.

13. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    Yep, spend the money on a neck that may cost more than the guitar but be just the way I/you want it, I dig that, have had the same idea for a long time now. Just save the factory neck or maybe one day have it done.

garyhoos1 likes this.

14. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2016
    ontario canada
    fret wire comes from Portugal? this i did not know

garyhoos1 likes this.

15. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    It's where the mines are.

garyhoos1, elliotj26 and riogrande like this.

16. Gary Gnu

Gary Gnu Strat-Talk Member

Apr 4, 2016
    sunny fla
    It doesn't ALL come from there. It's just that this tech is sourcing it from there, supposedly. It still seems odd to me that a guy in the UK would sit around for two weeks waiting for fret wire from Portugal of all places. Certainly there are better options for sourcing fret wire in the UK. If someone gave me that lame excuse as to why the work isn't done yet, I, and my money, would be down the road in a heartbeat. It's a huge red flag that this guy doesn't care about me or my guitar AND thinks I'm dumb enough to buy his line of BS. That's why I told the OP to go get his guitar and find some one else to do the work.

felis and garyhoos1 like this.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I'd go down there and talk to him face to face. If I wasn't happy with his body language (anybody can lie on the phone, it's easy) my guitar would leave with me and go to Stu's guy.

felis, s5tuart and garyhoos1 like this.

18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    This is what I did. I found a guy who said he did refrets, & I got him to do one of my Tokais first. Only after I got that back & I was satisfied did I let him take on my No. 1 Strat. The Tokai needed doing anyway, but I could lived with it if he had ruined the neck. Luckily he didn't.

Percy, garyhoos1 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

19. Starbuck

Starbuck Strat-Talk Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NC USA
    The cost of the fret wire is so small I don't understand getting it from so far away. Also, I would suggest using stainless steel fretwire that will never need replaced again?

garyhoos1 likes this.

20. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2015
    California
    garyhoos1 and oatsoda like this.