Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Worst Guitar/Mods you've ever encountered?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The Envoy, Jan 3, 2011.

1. The Envoy

The Envoy Strat-O-Master

Oct 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    So there are a lot of really nice-looking guitars on this site, but I know we've all come in contact with guitars that either came out of the factory as butt-ugly or were modded in a horribly unfortunate way. There are a few threads floating around of a few on this site, but there have to be more of them out there. Personally, the dumbest thing that I've ever seen done do a guitar is someone attempting to etch a word into an acoustic. It looked like it was carved with a linoleum knife. To make matters worse, the word was surrounded by bumper stickers (it was only on the back of the guitar, so the front looked fine, but still...)

Any others care to share their horror stories?

2. ShadowcasterXXX

ShadowcasterXXX Banned

Jun 18, 2010
    Reno, NV
  3. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 9, 2010
    indiana

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 5, 2009
    texas and ohio
    Admin Post
    well, the retrofit floyds come to mind.

6. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 30, 2009
    Northern, Virginia
  7. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 30, 2009
    Northern, Virginia
  8. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Avondale
    it is not totally impossible that i will decide to do this at some point :D

9. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

Mar 13, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    worst mods?
    relicing, killswitches, sustainers, neon pickups.

10. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Back when I was doing my side biz I had a guy bring in a shocking yellow "Banana-caster" that he had put a Floyd and EMG's in...

[​IMG]

Shop Rates: $40/hr. If you wait, $45/hr. If you watch, $55/hr. If you help, $65/hr. If you worked on it first, $100/hr.

11. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
    I saw a MIM strat on Craigslist late last year that some kid had completely hacked. His ad started with, "If you're looking for a pretty guitar, this is not the one." Most of the pick guard had been cut off, only 2 pickups remained (I think they were blades of some type). They were shoved into the neck & bridge routes with double-sided tape holding them in and the neck was modified with a Gibson-style nut. There was some kind of special wiring - only a volume and one tone. These controls were the only reason some of the pick guard was still there. He was boldly asking $250 for his "shredder". It was kinda sad because when you read between the lines, you could tell he was somewhat remorseful for the hack mods he had inflicted on it and he needed money for a new guitar.

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    What about Eddie Van Halen"s Charvel?

Sorry couldnt resist. But if he wasn't Van Halen that guitar would be considered a hack job.

13. jwhit007

jwhit007 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 9, 2010
    indiana
    When I was younger Epiphone or Gibson had some Explorer(I think...it's been over 20 years) bodies with buttons that kinda looked like bubbles or blister pack thingies that when engaged they were like distortion, chorus, and maybe delay. I thought they were cool, but I was 15. The shop owner thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. So I guess this is where the idea started for the robot guitar and that new Explorer thing Gibson's doing.

14. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 5, 2009
    texas and ohio
    Admin Post

15. Krab

Krab ----------------------

Oct 31, 2010
    That's odd. When I was 13 the repair guy at the local shop use to take me into the repair room and show me how things were done. Either he was into little boys or he wanted to show me that it was ok to work on them if you know what you are doing. The craziest thing I did at that age to my guitar was pull the finish off the back of the neck because I didn't like the feel.

16. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

Mar 13, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    i forgot about that robot guitar. great idea, just totally unnecessary. also, the VG strat was unnecessary to me. I guess I just like a guitar to be a guitar. The tele is the perfect design to me, so my opinions are biased. ya dont need anything that the tele doesnt have. ha ha ha

17. Krab

Krab ----------------------

Oct 31, 2010
    Save for the second cut away.:twisted:

18. benderer

benderer Banned

Dec 13, 2010
    metro dc
    Eddies look like a Mr. potatohead of parts and sloppy but lucky craftmanship gem.
    the Garcia Alligator is a monstrocity of acid induced brilliance, why not a CS?
    The Yngwie Duck/play loud looked ok 25 yrs ago the the repro is a mess
    i'm not without guilt, my messes dont sell for 5 0s.

19. John Brown

John Brown Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2010
    AA
    Some of the mods at The Gear Page are real jackasses.

20. Texocaster

Texocaster Senior Stratmaster

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    Route 66 guitars used to have an ORIGINAL 58 or 59 Flametop Les Paul that someone took a saw and made it a double cutaway............... it was too painful to look at.

21. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

Mar 13, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    another one i dont care for is when someone moves the switch on a Les Paul to one of the pot locations, and just leaves that gaping hole up there.