Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you audition a bass player who doesn't own a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Feb 12, 2018.

1. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    We're auditioning a bass player for our band (they need to be good enough to play and they have to be cool enough for us to spend a lot of time with in the future)... One replied to a craigslist ad we posted... He says he can play bass but he doesn't own a bass amp (been using a guitar amp, he's in his mid 30's)... The lead guitar in our band has been a paid gigging bass player for over 20 years and he says there is no chance this guy will work out if he doesn't even own a bass amp... What's your opinion? Would you give the guy a try or not even waste your time?

I figure if anything, I can write a song about the meeting

Mansonienne likes this.

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    So many sad songs
    And
    One line jokes
    And
    Things you can't say on ST
    In
    That posting

tery, Omar, Mansonienne and 1 other person like this.

3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    If anything it might be worth auditioning him to get practice doing that. Auditioning band members can be stressful. My gut agrees with your lead guitar player...that he won't work out.

Raiders757, JustABluesGuy and apm1991 like this.

4. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

Jun 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    Listen to your lead guitar guy.

I just wouldn’t. He might be an alright guy, but my gut tells me nope.

bassetman, Namelyguitar and apm1991 like this.

5. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Maybe bass has just been on the back burner for him. See if he has any tracks he's played on?

JustABluesGuy and apm1991 like this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Give the guy a go. At some points in your life you don't have, or can't afford gear. He may be a good player, there's only one way to find out. Oh and our bass player often DI'd to the desk instead of hauling his very heavy amp.

simoncroft, amstratnut, Omar and 7 others like this.

7. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Id just ask the guy if he is willing to find him self an amp - if he says yes, and does. he clearly believes in his talents.

anyone and everyone should be welcome to an audition.. but dont expect the band to provide your tools...

also, dont let gear fool you. a long time ago I was looking for a bass player for my metal band,. this guy I worked with at the time mentioned owning an ampeg stack and a couple nice gibson and rick basses.

why not. lets jam. So I invited him over. he was probably the worst player I have ever experienced. I couldnt even show him the opening riff to our easy song.. it had ONE hammer on, and his brain just didnt understand it.

and.. he also shaved his legs and wore shorts all the time. that was odd.

8. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    He may have more musicality than gear. Or maybe not. It depends if you want to take the time to find out.

JustABluesGuy, apm1991 and fezz parka like this.

9. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I don't own a bass amp, it make no sense because I don't drive, yet I work as a session bass player with several local bands and artistic projects, they provide the amp and I make sure to show up early, stick to the dress code, learn the songs in detail, play with feeling and not complain of everything. I have my own band where I play guitar and most bass players I've tried to work with have great gear but lack one or many of the other things.
    I'd say give the guy an opportunity, it is better to have a good musician and a nice fellow to work with than the perfect sound. Now, if the man doesn't play well or is a mess then you have a good excuse to kick him out of the band without hurting his sensitivity...

10. stratny2015

stratny2015 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 9, 2015
    NY
    Seems to me that your Lead guitar, having 20 years of bass experience should be the one doing this selection.

apm1991 likes this.

11. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Give him a go. The amount of gear might not be indicative of how good he is.

Grux, Omar, JustABluesGuy and 2 others like this.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Meet with him on your own . Play together and play your songs, no covers. Dont even bother with an amp. Play unplugged.

If he falls right in, can follow your tunes without laborious instruction, and gives you a good vibe, then you've found your bass player.

Then worry about an amp. :)

simoncroft, albala, altar and 18 others like this.

13. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    Yeah I'm leaning toward doing the try-out and when/if he plays well I'll ask him if he is willing to purchase one soon/in the future

nuculer terrist, circles and Cerb like this.

14. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Do not try out with the band. Just you and him. Then if time is wasted, its your own. And saves him the potential embarrassment of clamming it up in a room full of people.

I always have a pre audition where evaluate the skills and the person when the person doesn't come recommended from a trusted, reliable source. Blind auditions = one-on-one.

Omar, amagras, JustABluesGuy and 9 others like this.

15. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Gear is a commodity. Skill and musicality aren't.

Grux, Davey77, Omar and 5 others like this.

16. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    we'll do it together, he'll be with me

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Maybe he should be playing bass? I've been in bands where new guys just turned up to play, the leader had hired and fired with no consultation at all. :)

fezz parka likes this.

18. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Does the guitar player write the songs with you? If not, he's unnecessary for the meet. Unless you doubt your ability to evaluate the guy. Its your band....you drive the bus. Take the friggin' wheel. If you don't, get a t shirt that's say "Welcome" on the front. Because you're setting yourself up to get walked on. Been there done that.:)

Omar, Nate D, JustABluesGuy and 4 others like this.

19. apm1991

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I was going to do the try-out with the lead guitarist in the band as well.. He has a lot more experience with music in general than I do and he is an equal part of the band as I am... He always been just a player his entire life, never a manager or anything like that... I have a lot less experience but I'm always the guy talking to bar owners, etc

20. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    My thoughts were...

Can you stand being in the same room?
    Will he show up reliably?
    Will he be sober 9 outta 10 times.

Interviewers always asked the wrong question...

mjark, Omar, nuculer terrist and 3 others like this.