Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you audition a bass player who doesn't own a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

1. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    If he was willing to uber or take a cab I'd have no problem... If you were willing to do so I would gladly have you, it shows you are committed... Even if on occasion you needed rides I'd be happy to do so

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    Guitarmageddon likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Life isn't fair. And people are the least fair of all. :)

Thrup'ny Bit, Cerb and Guitarmageddon like this.

3. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    exactly.. I agree... I wrote in the ad I want someone with a car but I just care they can make it to practice and gigs

Cerb and Guitarmageddon like this.

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    which is why when karma makes the musical projects of the people who excluded me fail, I can't help but laugh

apm1991 likes this.

5. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I wouldn't count him out since he doesn't have an amp. As said, a DI to the board will suffice, and even the smallest bass amps have line outs, so he could get a reasonable amp for not a major financial outlay if he fits in. Heck, he could rent an amp in the beginning.

Um, yeah. Might have been better in a glam act.

6. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    good point

7. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

That isn't karma, it's the law of averages. 9 out of every 10 bands don't make it past their third gig.:)

8. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I agree with you on people, life however is what it is. It just happens and all we can do is try to steer it in the direction we want it to go. In the end, we're all just subjects to the whims of wind and waves :)

fezz parka likes this.

9. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    My middle/high school band made it to 4 :D

fezz parka likes this.

10. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Does your band play for money? If so, lack of equipment as a deal-breaker seems similar to a company hiring a delivery driver and requiring them to use their own car for deliveries.

apm1991 likes this.

11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Harder to imagine getting around anywhere I've been in Arizona without access to a car than to play bass through a guitar amp.

Years ago we auditioned a guy with the coolest high-dollar bass rig I've ever seen, only to sadly discover he was tone deaf. Seriously tone deaf. And couldn't count time either. Just weird.

apm1991 likes this.

12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    No amp AND no transportation? Yeah, no.

I am not actually a bass player, but I do own a bass guitar. I once passed an audition as bass player (they were desperate) without any real skills or even my own amp (I used the one at their practice space).

I did at least drive myself TO the practice space though...

apm1991 likes this.

13. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    It's an audition, not a 3 year contract. Give him the chance.

apm1991 likes this.

14. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    right... having transportation, whether it be the bus or whatever, I don't think is too much to ask for

15. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-O-Master

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    absolutely.. if he can make it to my place

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I understand folks saying it's good to give the benefit of the doubt, but let's keep this 100 for a minute:
    1. He's playing through a guitar amp because he doesn't have the proper equipment. Sure, he can DI into the board at a gig, but what about rehearsals? That guitar amp is OK for when he's practicing alone at home, but it'll blow if he tries to keep up with you and a drummer. Part of being a working musician is having the proper tools to do it. Full stop.
    2. He doesn't have transportation. Back in the day when I was auditioning lead guitarists, I'd always ask them what car they had; I really didn't care, this was actually a roundabout way of making sure they had one. They need to be able to, reliably, get themselves and their gear to rehearsals and gigs. I grew up in Phoenix, I know that public transportation won't cut it there the way it would somewhere like NYC or the big cities in Europe. It just won't. There are circumstances sometimes, I get that, but in general you need to be assured that they have transportation handled, which in my mind means they control it, not their mom, not their girlfriend, not their roommate. You don't want hangers-on at rehearsals, that just detracts from the work, and let's be real: it'll happen twice, and whoever they were relying on for the lift won't be willing any longer, and they'll
    3. Be asking you, which he already did.
    We've gotten to strike 3 already. This is showing all the signs of someone who isn't serious and doesn't have their crap together, and if you're in a band with them, their drama becomes your drama. I'd pass.

Strat-Slinger, altar and apm1991 like this.

17. Kstu

Kstu Strat-Talker

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I had a couple of similar scenarios with a bass players. One was good but did not have gear because he had a problem with drugs and alcohol and would sell everything. The other just got interested in playing again at the offer as he was someone we knew from our past. Sometimes there is logic with the situation. I would give him/her a shot. Couldn't hurt.

apm1991 likes this.

18. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I get the comment about being a session player with no car, obviously you have the rep and skills to be called upon to do a good job or you wouldn’t be getting asked to do so. But if a bass player ( or any musician for that matter) is responding to adds to play in a band that’s a different situation imho. Now perhaps the guy is amazing and if so should be able to demonstrate in some fashion i.e. have a recording of his playing, references, etc. maybe he is going through a rough spot, we all have. But if the guy is serious about wanting to play in a band he should have the basic equipment to do so or be in the process of being able to do so. I’ve played with great guys who had great equipment and great guys who had mediocre equipment and if the situation worked for everyone involved it was worth the compromise. They did however, have their own equipment. Gear doesn’t make a great player but gear allows the great player to do what he does. I’d meet the guy and have him demonstrate what he can do and then if it’s good, discuss the issue of him getting an amp ASAP. One needs the basic tools to do a job in any profession. He says he has a guitar amp, can he sell it to get a bass amp?

apm1991 likes this.

19. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i ride my broom.

20. Shaolindelt

Shaolindelt Strat-Talk Member

Monday
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you were willing to make some concessions, understand a situation and give him a chance as a musician. I’d say that’s more than enough, but the layers of problems with this one may be more than you want to take on and that’s 100% understandable.

I’d say his lack of initiative and drive is more indicative of his personality than musical skill, and it doesn’t sound like you want a problem personality regardless of potential music ability. If I was playing in band, I’d rather have someone who was average/above average musically but fit in personality wise with the band more than a brilliant musician we had to babysit.

It’s be different if the guy had said “Hey, I play bass too just don’t have a bass amp at the moment but we can talk if you like my style. Would love to meet up and see if we click.” And as for transportation, if he’s bringing that up now, red flag. If I didn’t have a car or drive, but was serious about it - I’d make my own arrangements and not mention it until the audition went well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    Miotch, moullineaux, apm1991 and 3 others like this.