Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you audition a bass player who doesn't own a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Feb 12, 2018.

1. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Apr 10, 2011
    Dallas TX
    He can play strait through the board if you have a strong PA / direct box input.
    As a temporary solution

apm1991 likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka On...for Omar. Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    That's your take....now. Let's revisit in 22 years when you'll be the age I am now. I'll be 81, and probably even more curmudgeonly. ;)
    Life is living in the moment. Choices made correctly make it tolerable. Happy accidents make it worth living. The rest is best if put to rest, but remembered so it isn't repeated.

apm1991, Omar and Cerb like this.

3. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Aye it is :)

If in 22 years ir we're both alive and well, the earth is still spinning and if we can remember this thread we'll definitely compare experiences, but you need to promise not to tell me to come back in yet another 22 years :D

apm1991, Omar and fezz parka like this.

4. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

i think a 22 yearly reunion seems like fun!

apm1991, Omar, Cerb and 1 other person like this.

5. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I dunno guys... I own a Squier Bass guitar (recently upgraded with Aguilar pickups) and don't own a bass amp... and I'm asked all the time to play with folks... often when I'd prefer to play guitar. One day I'll own a bass amp, but and maybe the bass dude in question will too.

Actually... I'm looking for a USED Fender Rumble 100 v3 and there don't seem to be any on the market at least which are marked down reasonbly lower than new pricing. I'd settle for a reasonable facsimile but am thinking in the area of $150. I'm playing bass in a musical in March and I don't like what we're using for a bass amp. It's some sort of Roland that I think was designed for electric piano. Anyone know someone who wants to unload a good bass amp cheap (hopefully in the Chicago area)?

apm1991 likes this.

6. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    You could just ask him for any recordings he's done...

And if he hasn't done any... Well...:oops:

apm1991 likes this.

7. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    I haven't played bass since I was 18 and I still got my old Rickenbacker and a little bass amp left over.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I haven't read this whole thread, somebody may have already pointed out that Jaco Pastorius was homeless at times.

And lots of musicians have to pawn things or share or borrow things. It's definitely not a good sign, but you should check him out. If he has transportation. That's more important than the amp. :)

apm1991 and BallisticSquid like this.

9. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Maybe look for a fender bxr series? Older than the rumble series and i see them cheap around here every once in a while. I got a great deal on the 300, and its cool.

10. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Give the dude a chance, you'll know pretty quick

tery and apm1991 like this.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    No transportation, and wants you to haul equipment to his place so he can audition for you...

Uhm... no.

Sorry to anyone that thinks he should be given a chance, but this is a total deal breaker.

12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    He could have done things more transparently.
    Like borrowing or renting an amp for the audition and getting a ride on his own.

While he gets points for being upfront about his situation, it kinda puts more stress on an audition when/if it's even granted.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    We always car pooled for practice and gigs. Our Bass player had no transport of his own from 1991 until 2009. We only forgot to pick him up once...

14. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    Well last band I was in we got up to around 50 gigs before it took a nose dive lol. Yep

But you wanna hear the funny thing? I did not have a license or car because for years I suffered the fear of driving from a serious serious accident. The accident wasn’t my fault and I wasn’t intoxicated or anything but it simply was icing and snowing badly and I was trying to make it home from college. I was going around a curve, slowly and my tires hit ice wrong and sent me over a hillside. I flipped several times and almost did not make it. So I had a fear for driving. I drive now yes, it took lots of pushing myself and determination to fight the fear. My fiancé’s grandmother had a wreak when she was 18 and never drove again in her life and she passed away at 60.

And about the bassist dude you never know but he could be the one dude who makes the rest of you look bad - especially that guitar player you have lol. I’m thinking,,, remember Les Claypool trying out for Metallica? Lol

I started out on bass as my first stringed instrument and guitar came next. After playing bass a couple years I wanted to jump into guitar so I sold my amp but kept my bass. The bass meant a lot to me but an amp could always be replaced. But guess what? Every now and then I was getting a call from a band or someone who knew a band who needed a bassist. Of course I would state I had a bass but no amp. But guess what? I was extremely well at playing bass and everyone who knew me or a band I was in knew this. But guess what? They always somehow managed to skim up the money or means to buy or borrow or whatever so I could play for them. One time they even pulled out an old Peavey keyboard amp which of course can be used with bass. I’m not saying I’m Les Claypool or Geddy Lee but I was not your average bassist and I’m just being honest here.

You never know what the reason for the guy not having a bass amp. He could have got down on hard times or whatever. Maybe he chose to pay his water bill then to have a bass amp sitting around. Not everyone has parents to pay for their gear or pay their water bill when broke.

So keep in mind you never know the circumstances. I’ve been playing bass and guitar for several years since a wee wee age and I’ve seen it all. I’ve been in multiple bands and heard it, seen it and done it. My main two instruments I learned and started with were Oboe and Bassoon at a very young age. I was classically trained and played from a wee age till I was 25 - orchestral. Even those who are classically trained have their issues and I’ve seen them - some what like idiot savant lol. Trust me the world is not perfect. You could test the guy out and he’s so good that he’s worth the cost of a bass amp, car rides and dinner lol.

Don’t knock it till you try it lol. But in the end it’s up to you.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    apm1991 likes this.

15. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA

This is what I was thinking. I was going to say give him a chance until he wanted you to haul your stuff to his house after you specifically said you wanted someone with a car in your ad. If he was serious he would find a way to come to you.

Strat-Slinger, apm1991 and Ebidis like this.

16. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I've been that bass player before. It didn't work out.

17. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona

So true... we have to spend hours and hours together every single week... we all have to get along

18. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    UPDATE -- SINCE YESTERDAY:

So he was supposed to take the bus etc to get to my place yesterday.. but he said something came up... so now he says he will take the bus to my place today

couple things I never mentioned to you guys because I didn't find it very important but still interesting:

1. He is in his mid 30's and he's never gigged once before (I still figure he can be good and never gig though)

2. I asked him if he is comfortable doing back-up vocals.. he said maybe but he is very shy

I'm still gonna give him the try-out if he actually shows up today

s5tuart likes this.

19. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Just because someone owns a bass amp doesn't mean that they can play bass guitar ;)

apm1991 likes this.

20. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talker

Apr 18, 2017
    When my buddies and I started a band back in HS, I couldnt drive and at first, didnt have an amp.

I would ride a skateboard down to my friends house (about 1+ miles down hill, going home was a PITA!) lugging a super heavy Peavy T40 bass.

I was a good bass player, and did a lot of the composing.

Point is, I didnt have a car, or amp. Plugged in through the drummers guitar amp until getting my own.

I was NEVER late to a practice/gig (although the drummer was always late, and it was his house!), got along with everyone, and was basically a really reliable guy. I more than carried my weight with the band.

I would at least audition him, and lay the ground rules early. Dont hem and haw, set expectations firmly (on time, have amp by Spring, so anso is the leader of the band). Down the road, you will have to shoulder part of the blame if you didnt spell things out at the beginning. Be strict at first then ease off if hes really cool.

West Coast Idea and apm1991 like this.