Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you audition a bass player who doesn't own a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Feb 12, 2018.

1. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    I definitely would audition him. You never know, he may have a bag of tricks under his sleeve and might be exactly what you are looking for.

apm1991 likes this.

2. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

I going to be blunt... granted, this is only IMO.. but, I'm going to say it...
    You're wasting your time.
    Nothing worthwhile is going to come of trying this person out... he's draining your time... your efforts... and he's taking up space in your mind "Rent Free"...
    Steer Clear if this guy... it's only going to get worse... and worse... more... and more... if you let him in.

This is based on my experiences with these types of matters... I started playing in bands over 30 years ago... all the sings you've shared of this individual... are not good..
    Even if he is a Bad-Ass Bassit with the talents of someone like Jaco... he's going to hurt you and your band... just like Jaco did in the end with the folks he played with... he became (sadly and unfortunately) a serious liability to be around... and he was dropped (rather wisely) by everyone in the end...
    Show some compassion and cut him loose now... you're not helping this person in any way if you cater in any way to him (rides... provide a DI box, etc...)... you're going to hurt yourself and the band if you bring this guy in.. and yes, I mean even if you bring him in for an audition.

Simpleman and apm1991 like this.

3. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I agree but if today he again says something came up, then I'm gonna say it's a no go.... the ONLY reason we're looking for a new bass player is because ours can't play on Friday nights.. reliability is the most important thing at this point... it upsets me sooo much I had to turn down two gigs and turn down a try out at another venue because of an unreliable player

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Everybody deserves a chance, maybe even a second chance in certain circumstances, but that's it. If he can't be bothered (or is too nervous) to get to audition there's no way you could ever rely on him to turn up for anything else.

West Coast Idea and s5tuart like this.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Did you remember when the gig started, or was that a “show must go on” sort of deal?

apm1991 likes this.

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    I have never played in a band or with other players at all for that matter but there are a lot of jokes about bass players. Honestly to me a good bass player is extremely important and ruins a band if he isn't any good. I have high respect for a good bass player. I hope a good one comes around for you and it all works out......

apm1991 likes this.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    We realised that something was odd as we were setting up, then somebody said "Where's ****? Who brought ****? Who was supposed to be bringing ***?". Luckily we were playing close to home and we had a bassist in time for the sound check.

apm1991 likes this.

8. pumpkin

pumpkin Strat-Talker

Aug 5, 2017
    Richmond VA
    .... listen to the lead guitarist

apm1991 likes this.

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Any way you can just stick with the guy you have?

Changing band mates can be really challenging.

Sounds like the guy you want to audition would be a huge headache.

If you guys arent paying band mates yet, I dont see the harm in not gigging on Friday nights.

If you are determined to find someone, my advice is be very patient and DONT SETTLE. A good bass player is really important. If you get someone who is just ok, or has to take the bus, has no car, and no amp.....you end up making everyone else in the band work harder and still wonder why things arent clicking. Thats the definition of settling

West Coast Idea and apm1991 like this.

10. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I really wish we could, so badly... He's not committed though... Besides the fact he can't do ANY Friday nights.. He will only practice once a week at the very most... I realize it is a hobby to him.. it's so much more than a hobby to me though.. I want to gig every single weekend at least.. I've written 16 originals in about one year... I come home from work and I don't even spend time with my gf I just write, record, practice but I love it... It's not his fault, he has a kid, works, and goes to school. So I don't blame him at all... We've already discussed it, I'd like to gig 50 times a year.. he'd like to gig 5-10 times a year... it's unfortunate but I figure the sooner I find a guy the sooner we can start gigging again

11. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    You're a young band. From what I know, you've played two gigs. This is a process all new bands go through. Your nucleus is you and the guitarist. The other parts will change until the unit operates as a whole. I'd still give the guy a chance. You never know.

Thrup'ny Bit, carver and apm1991 like this.

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Fair enough but, I would only bother with guys who appear qualified. Dont make exceptions you will regret later.

I dont know how "good" you are but, at whatever level you are, you are perfectly within reason to audition the best players who are willing.

Im adamant about this having settled in the past, more than once, thinking so and so would improve.....it never happened.

I realize we are talking about his lack of gear but, that and his lack of transportation is non starter for me.

(The best players are already in 6 paying bands)

JustABluesGuy likes this.

13. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    We always told our drummer everything was 30 minutes earlier than it actually was. He was usually still late. But one hell of a guy and hell of a drummer.

Never underestimate a bass player's importance. And, for me, finding a competent, relatively committed and personable bass player was always the hardest piece of the band to put together.

Last band had two bass players (Jeff 1 and Jeff 2) over a 15-year period. Both were excellent and easy to get along with. And honestly, it is our inability to find a Jeff 3 that has stopped us from re-forming. (Maybe we should open it up to people with other names ....)

14. Ferret619

Ferret619 Strat-Talker

May 6, 2017
    Canberra
    Sounds like the bassist isn’t really this issue here but rather the band needs to discuss its overall goals. Without everyone being on the same page there isn’t a hope

JustABluesGuy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Too funny! Good bass players ARE pretty hard to find, and in demand around here. I had a co-worker with a gigging band who was so desperate that he gave me a position in his band, even though I was only a beginner guitarist and had never once played the bass!

He had invited me over on the pretext of seeing his band practice room, and to check out his band’s rehearsal. When I got there he said, “We lost our bass player, why don’t you fill in?” I explained that I had never played bass and he just shoved a bass into my hands and said, “If you can play guitar you can play bass!” and I basically “thumped the root” (granted, with good timing and feel) the rest of the evening, and went home with a CD and a setlist to work on! :thumbd:

Now that’s what I call desperation!

amagras likes this.

16. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    I don't own an amp, and to a few years, didn't owned even a pedal ... still played a lot. Gear is not always important. But then again, not many people have it here.

montemerrick likes this.

17. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    Clearly there is a range of opinions on this topic. Fortunately, we have a place where so many can chime in.

I think it's very important to get each member's goals out in the open early on. Regardless of talent/skill and interpersonal strengths, if the goals and commitment aren't aligned there will frustration. I am considering answering a CL ad myself and I'm going to approach it in a much clearer way than before.

On the issue of your expectations, you have made them known up front. I teach community college and we are required to provide a syllabus. When students aren't willing to meet the course requirements (and it *is* their choice), they can't continue and need to try again when they are ready to do so.

By staying firm on your needs you take better care of yourself and actually help him in the long run.

Heck, I'd love to have some 50's toys (a Porsche or 335 come to mind), but it's up to me to make that happen.

cappei likes this.

18. ChaplainMike

ChaplainMike Strat-Talker

May 30, 2017
    Okinawa
    My 2 cents. I have more gear than talent. Enough gear for two bands. I'm just a bedroom hobbyist who jams with friends and happily provides the gear. If he's really good but broke, it might be worth a shot. That being said, even when I was broke, I always had gear, in fact, that was usually why I was broke.

19. JoshPhase90Wah

JoshPhase90Wah Strat-Talker

Sep 11, 2011
    KENT
    If this bassist is dedicated enough, assuming they pass an audition, then I'm sure they would invest in a reasonable bass amp. 3 Years ago I auditioned for a band to play guitar, they then got back their original guitarist, but asked me if I played bass. I said I have a bass, but no amp. They gave me the gig nonetheless on the agreement that I find an amp as soon as I could. One second hand Trace Elliot later and we are still gigging 3 years down the road.

Seeing the original post was a little while ago, did the auditionee work out?

JustABluesGuy likes this.

20. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    When I play bass guitar on a stage (I rarely do) I use my ENGL BLackmore. It was always good enough to wipe the floor with those arrogant guitar players xD.

Life is good,
    Robin