Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you go custom? (I just did!)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by LeicaBoss, Nov 8, 2017.

Tags:

Would you commission a custom amp?

1. YES - I already did

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. YES - But I still need some convincing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. NO - I prefer brands that are popular or known

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. NO - It's just not for me

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    You have a sound in your head - why not let someone build you the amp you really want?

I spent 20 years or so kind of chasing my sound. Fenders, Marshalls, Boogies. Thought about vintage, boutique. I probably owned 10 or so amps and played through hundreds of them - and was never really happy.

Then I reconnected with an old friend who happens to be one of the premier amplification technicians (including rare organs and synths) around - Jamie from Booya! Amplification in NJ.

He asked one question that blew my mind: "Why search around for the right amp, when I can just build you exactly what you want?"

BOOOOM. It was a terrifying thought. I always had the comfort of known brands. Models that everyone else knew. But I really wanted something different.

So, I took the plunge. Here is Booya! #208. Would you go custom? Why or why not?

[​IMG]

2. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    Congrats. If I had the money?

3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Congrats! NAD's rule on their own and to have a custom one made for you has got to be extra special. Appreciate the video review too, sounds great

LeicaBoss likes this.

4. LeicaBoss

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I did pay substantially less than what many "big" companies charge for mass-produced and corner-cutting amplifiers. Or what many "boutique" makers charge for recreations of vintage amps with maybe 20 parts in them. In that regard, I really got a fantastic value. It's worth tracking Jamie down and having a chat with him!

(I also recognize the drawbacks that come with custom, including wait time - but it's more accessible than one might think).

5. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    If I was gigging, it maybe worth my while to invest. But for now my Mustang and Valvetronix are loud enough. Nice amp BTW.

LeicaBoss likes this.

6. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2016
    Seattle
    I had one built by a local one-man shop - Anderson Amplification. He did everything but fabrication of the sheet metal chassis.

Beautiful 20-Watt amp with 12-inch neo speaker, and a matching cab with and EMI GB128. Real craftsmanship and top quality components throughout and a fine sounding amp.

Picking up the amp was an exceptional experience. Jack, the designer and builder, had me audition the amp and made sure I was happy with the speaker selections or wanted to try different preamp tubes

The waiting list was 16 months long and while I was waiting I assembled an Allen Sweet Spot.

I wound up selling the rig, because I wasn't using it, it took up a lot of space, and I felt bad that the amp wasn't being enjoyed as it should have.

LeicaBoss and nuculer terrist like this.

7. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    For me, they need to be Marshall and / or Fender, strictly for resale value.

LeicaBoss and nuculer terrist like this.

8. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I like the sounds of amps that already exist. This is all hypothetical for me but if I wanted the sound of a vintage vox, fender or Marshall, I'd get one of those. I don't have the dough for those, nor for a custom amp.

LeicaBoss likes this.

9. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Glad you got something you wanted and can use!

LeicaBoss likes this.

10. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-Talker

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Cool! Out of curiosity, what kind of sound do you get from this one that you weren't out of all the others you've tried?

Oh, never mind. Just watched the video lol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    LeicaBoss likes this.

11. LeicaBoss

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    The big thing for me is the full range, almost "Hi Fi" sound, really immediate/urgent feel under the fingers and that grindey, early breakup that transitions into sweet and harmonically rich sustain... Either loud or in a small room with minimal loss of tone.

Robins likes this.

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I would if the price is reasonable. I would love to have a nice plexi clone.

13. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    It looks good and it sounds good :thumb:

Congrats on the new amp.

Cheers.

LeicaBoss likes this.

14. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

Awesome, congrats

LeicaBoss likes this.

15. LeicaBoss

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I bet it would cost less than a Plexi. And you can say "Hey, Jamie. I'd like a Plexi style amp - but It would be cool to have power scaling, a loop, and maybe break up earlier. Oh, and silent recording would be nice, too"

Robins likes this.

16. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

congrats!!

I went custom for two amps.

one was a jcm800 / fender deluxe hybrid. pretty much a 22ish watt JCM 800. kinda cool.

thought I would use it. didnt use it much. its gone to someone that was drooling over it. - win win.

the other is a fender 5e3 clone - sure its not custom custom. but I did have the gain stage tweaked in it giving me breakup sooner.

this is an amp that is going no where.

LeicaBoss, nuculer terrist and Robins like this.