Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wow...First Dead Show Last Night in Philly. O.o

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by MGriff240, Nov 17, 2017.

1. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    So I'm a huge John Mayer fanboy, and recently starting trying to get into the Dead...Never really got into them, but I figured it'd be different live and decided to spring for a GA ticket and try to get up close.

I ended up 10 feet from the rail and had the time of my life. It's just another world with Deadheads. Everyone was super friendly and just wanted to enjoy some music. Lots of "interesting" characters but that's part of the charm of a Dead show, right?

John's playing is astounding, and the rest of the Dead are definitely still holding up well. Jeff Chimenti was amazing too, and the chemistry between Mayer, Chimenti, and Oteil Burbridge (bass) could be seen from a mile away. Also cool to see Rene Martinez (wearing a Superman hat nonetheless!) doing tech for JM.

Just overall an amazing show and I can't put my guitar down now. I never thought I'd be a Dead fan, but this has made me one.

Here's some pics and videos from my iPhone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Strat-O-Master

May 17, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    That's awesome man!!

As someone who has always been a deadhead - and then a JM fan ... it was something I was very eager to see!!

2 dead and co shows, both fantastic. Best thing for me was JM was just one of the guys - not trying to grab the spotlight or showcase his chops -- he truly seems to dig just "playing in the band". I also like how he does not try to copy Garcia , yet his licks just seem to fit

circles likes this.

3. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I followed the Grateful Dead for a couple years off and on. Saw 44 shows, and a whole lot more lots. Mostly east coast summer tour, but managed to see every show fall of '93 (last tour).

When the Dead and Company formed for those Soldier Field shows I thought about going, until I saw the ticket price$. Also the way Bob Weir has evolved into Jerry Garcia. Had always been clean shaven and clean cut, wearing cut off shorts, golf shirts and deck shoes or flip flops (before they were trendy).

Caught them last night on the Late Show, and JM was playing a PRS semi hollow and like IronSchef said he wasn't trying to hog the spotlight or play Jerry licks he was definitely in the pocket with the band.

Bobby was playing a regular subdued Stratocaster, rather than the little Alvarez shredder guitars from when I was seeing him (or a flashy colored tricked out modern Strat).

But from a musical perspective, they sounded pretty good!

And I was never a Bobby fan. Never listened to Rat Dog or hung out with the Wharf Rats (Bobby fans).

In fact, I used to have a bumper sticker on my '78 VW Westfalia that said Jerry spit on me, I spit on Bob.

circles likes this.