Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

WTF did I just buy

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Ravenmore, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Well it finally arrived today. I only had time to look it over and take a couple pics. It was shipped VERY well package. The finish is really nice in person, although there might be some flaws in the paint around the output jack. Will check it out more later and see if that cleans up.

Just picking it up the neck seemed thinner than my other SE. Judging by the saddles it looks like the intonation might have been set.

IMG_20180103_124345550.jpg IMG_20180103_124404321.jpg

Hash McBrown, AxemanVR and trapdoor2 like this.

2. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I've had a few of them. Overall they had chunkier necks than I care for but I did come across one that was like yours (thinner without three skunk stripe) and I kept that neck when the body got used for another project. That neck will get used sometime soon.

Ravenmore likes this.

4. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Yeah I messed around with it quite a bit tonight doing a rough set up on it (intonation definitely wasn't set btw :) ). I would need to measure it with calipers to be sure but the neck definitely feels thinner. Unfortunately the fret ends are probably some of the roughest I've felt on a Squier, and I probably need to do a fret level I'd bet (haven't measured them all yet. This is something I haven't done before so I don't have the tools for it. Looks like it is time to buy more stuff. :)

It plays and sounds pretty good though. It's probably one of the nicer looking Strats, not just Squier's, that I've owned. The finish cleaned up super nice with some auto compound. There's some natural flame going on in the body and the wood grain looks fantastic. Now to get rid of that tortoise shell pick guard. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Believer7713 likes this.

5. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    I don't know, seems like the pick guard suits the sun burst.

6. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Thanks but I've always just not liked them. I've got a black guard on the way.

7. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Fine your guitar no one else has a vote!

Ravenmore and johnnymg like this.

8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    That's a beautiful Strat! Love the original pickguard, but black (or mint) will look great as well!

Ravenmore likes this.

9. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I'd chuck a mint one on.

What am I saying? I'd grab a soldering iron and a pair of Philips screwdrivers, and part it out!

10. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Glad to see we check at shopgoodwill.com. Think they have me for about 10 project guitars.

That SE looks like a beauty!

Ravenmore likes this.

11. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Nice SE! I had one exactly like it. I installed a new loaded prewired pickguard and new bridge. Gave it to my nephew for Christmas.

12. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Thanks all! Parts are slowly trickling in that I ordered. I have a black pick guard. Also ordered pre-cut aluminum shield while I was at it. I have some Rose pickups on order that should be coming soon. I also ordered some Dragonfire Crusaders in black because I've heard they're pretty good and they're cheap, so I just wanted to try them out. Hopefully I'll have it put together in the next couple of days.

13. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I've had to stay away from that site - it's deadly lol. They've had a couple of super cool vintage Ibanez's up on the past few days. Think there is one ending today.

I bought another guitar from them the same time I bought this one - an 80's Dixon because I was curious about them.

Groovey likes this.

14. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Finally got all the parts. I'm replacing all the electronics and pickups and nothing is pre-wired. It was my first time wiring everything myself and I might have accomplished the messiest wiring job ever. :D It is working though.

I went ahead and put in copper shielding tape while I was at it:

IMG_20180110_195034010.jpg

Green Craig likes this.

15. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    HNGD! I picked one up at GC a couple of months ago for like $50, dropped vintage tuners and the Alnico pickguard from GuitarFetish and the thing is my go-to guitar right now.

16. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Might have to pick up one of those pick guards for another guitar project. Thanks!

I put some Crusader single coils in from guitarpartsonline.com. They are ceramic magnets which I didn't know before I bought them. They have good reviews though and I have learned that ceramic doesn't always mean they aren't good. Anyway, I'll try them out and swap them for something else if I don't like them.

MGriff240 likes this.

17. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Oh! And I took the sheen off the finish with steel wool, something I do with almost all my guitars. I did the whole body and the neck, smooths the neck down a bit and makes it look a bit less plastic-y.

IMG_4357.jpg

18. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    That's a cool look. I've done steel wool on the neck but not the body. I do also like the glossy finish also on mine so I'll probably leave it. The wood in my sample has some great wood grain that pops with the glossy finish.

Btw - the bad fret sprout I felt earlier seems to have gone away somehow. It was very cold the day the guitar was delivered and I'm wondering if the cold could have made the wood contract slightly causing the fret sprout? Sounds weird but they are fine now.

19. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-O-Master

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Well it's built. Doing a tuning and set up now.

IMG_20180112_180852387.jpg IMG_20180112_180622119.jpg

Dan_Q, AxemanVR, Viking and 1 other person like this.

20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Mine did a similar thing,..

It was something like -10 below zero the day mine arrived, but now that I've had it about three weeks it seems to be less noticeable.

It's still there mind you, but definitely not sticking quite as much now.

The upper corners of the frets are still unacceptably sharp though and still need to be smoothed out...

'