Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Yeah man, those Squier Bullet Strats ...

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Strat-Talker

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    Love 'em! With just a bit of help here and there ya got a giggin' axe that can both deliver the heat and take it.

Purchased last week from MF for $120/shipped. Reborn today as a kick a$$ stage warrior with new engines, electronics, 11-48's and a good setup, 6lbs 7ozs,

DSC04499.JPG

DSC04500.JPG

2. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2017
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Nice! Love the color

circles likes this.
  3. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talk Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Louisiana
    Real cool, what did you put into the guitar to get it to your liking? I'm interested in picking one up to mod out, how is the neck on that one?

4. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    this is the FIFTH bullet strat i've bought for cheap and modded. the other four have been sold, mostly because after guys play them they hold me at gun point 'til i sell it to 'em. seriously. but NOT this one. :p

i built the pickups (i can easily do that, i'm "cavalier pickups" :D ) and wound the neck and middle to 50's spex and the bridge to 60's spex with more output. i flipped all the electronics for CTS 250k pots, CRL 5-way, switchcraft jack. reworked the circuit with a master volume, turned the first tone pot into master no-load tone and .022uf cap, and the second tone pot became a no-load neck pickup volume blender - this allows the bridge and neck pickups to be selected together for a neat "tele tone".

when they arrive next week i'll swap out the tuners for gotoh vintage deluxe ones and swap the plastic nut for an ox bone one. the squier logos have all been sanded off, but the neck will also get sanded, then amber aniline dye stained and 4 or 5 rubbed in coats of min-wax wipe on polyu. that oughta give the guitar a visual vintage kinda vibe.

other than the above, new 11 gauge strings and setup, i change out nothing else. the rest is more than good to go.

when these strats are no longer offered, we'll all be out of luck because they are *THAT* good. the necks are Exceptional, "C" shaped and with full walnut skunk stripes that revive just how leo adapted ready built maple necks to rosewood fingerboards back in the 50's. the frets are well installed and i rarely see a need for me to do a level and crown on them, let alone dress their edges.

i see a *LOT* of guitars in my shop, every day of every week. without a question of doubt, the electric guitars coming out of indonesia these dayze are very very close to the exceptional quality of today's japanese built guitars, and are clearly far better than the stuff coming out of china or korea.

5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yeah man, those Squier Bullet Strats ...

are the price they are shipped because... chances are.. some poor b######d in Indonesia is living and working in appalling conditions and being paid a pittance for a twelve/fourteen hour day..

I worked there in the 80s.. that it was an eye opener is putting it mildly.. We really don't know the half of it living in the West..

Made me want to weep..

circles likes this.
  6. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    working and living conditions worldwide are changing for the better, but slowly. that is always a concern. the best way to help these poor folks is to buy what they produce and allow them to work. the alternatives are far worse.

Davey77, sp8ctre, Ruscio and 3 others like this.
  7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    I wish you were right Rob I really do, but improvements are minimal at best. The big Corps off-shored jobs from our countries for a reason, and it wasn't to bring happiness to those less fortunate that's for sure.

I'm afraid the truth of it is that many of those third world countries are run by an elite who are kept in power and bribed by the big Corps to keep it just the way it is for as long as possible..

You must know as well as I do when you look at one of those guitars.. when you take the material costs, production costs, shipping and distribution costs, and labour costs that somewhere along that chain those costs are being cut to the bone to produce a guitar at the price-point they are in the West..

Elmo likes this.
  8. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    let's not make this into the socio-political thread it should not be. i'm not going to disagree with you. if anyone wants to immediately help the indonesian workers who make guitars, buy what they make. yes, there are other things that can be done to help these and other similar folks around the world. that's for another discussion elsewhere. please, no more talk about this matter here.

Twinfen, sp8ctre, Grizz and 2 others like this.
  9. Tom Cat Strat

Tom Cat Strat Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2018
    New York

I hear you, brother. Bought for cheap and modded. That was my simple plan.

I believe I got my Bullet for $119, spent about forty dollars on paints, got an old guitar magazine with a picture of George Harrison's Rocky guitar, and went to town on my Bullet.

[​IMG]

The pickups deliver a wolf's howl when I play in a certain pickup configuration. But it looks pretty close to Harrison's so I'm happy.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Do the necks on these have flats on the sides of the fretboard so the carve starts at the glue line or carved at an acute angle from the front edges of the fretboard? Most of the Indonesian necks I've come across follow Fender's orders like the second so you have less 'shoulder' to the neck carve on the back and more of a knife edge in the hand. Reason I stopped picking up Squiers.
    That's Fender product details, the Indonesian Manufacturing details are all very good on every one I've seen and had. Maybe they finally got the idea to sell more they needed chunky necks?

11. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    The Bullet is an incredible value and a fine guitar .
    I got a Bullet red sparklecaster Telecaster - there is nothing wrong with it … at all .

12. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    OK, fess up............... where did the 'Squier' label go??? :whistling:

You still rocking with the original tuners? :eek: Even a noob like me appreciated those pitiful tuners getting S-canned. I absolutely LOVE my Bullet. I'm even pretty OK with the stock pups. I've compared them to my Fender pups and they hold up pretty well for my amateur picking and strumming.

Congrats on winding your own pups. Please post a pic(s) and description of your winding rig. I'm sorta-kinda-maybe thinking of dipping my toes in that swamp. o_O

My Bullet Strat:

squier bullet.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    brians and tery like this.
  13. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Aug 25, 2011
    Brazil
    That is one amazingly cool looking Squier Bullet

14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    Sweet, great color.

15. toejam

toejam Strat-Talk Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Sweden
    I've had my Bullet for a few years now. So much guitar for the money, impressive. It's resonant, no sharp fretends, and it actually sounds good. I've tried other strats since I got this. I thought I had to get a "real" strat, with a full thickness body. Now I just watched a video with Jack Pearson where he plays some of his own guitars. Is the red one a Affinity Strat? He got a Bullet in sunburst (just like mine :p) and says in the video he used it on the Gregg Allman tribute. Later in the video he plays a white Bullet Strat. And I'm reminded of how you should listen to your own instincts, if it feels good, and sounds good...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    benjammin420 and johnnymg like this.
  16. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member!

Aug 26, 2018
    Burbank, CA
    Not debating wood, as I have a VM70, but how does basswood hold up to removing and installing screws when doing upgrades?

17. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Holds up fine on mine, removed back plate and pickguard many times, interestingly my mim, think it's alder needed some toothpick and wood glue fills on the backplate screws but it is18 years old so no big deal. I guess most wood will loose it's thread if it is done too many times ?

johnnymg likes this.
  18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver New Member!

Aug 26, 2018
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks!

19. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I love jack and I love this video but I don't think he recorded during is time with the abb and on stage with them he played a g and l.

Rob of cavalier pickups built the pickups in my strat. They are great. I can't imagine ever changing them.

20. toejam

toejam Strat-Talk Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Sweden
    I really got THAT wrong. Sorry :oops: He says in the video that he used it on the Gregg Allman tribute.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018