Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Yet another Texas Special Pickup ID Thread

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by V3iHoN6, Dec 10, 2017.

1. V3iHoN6

V3iHoN6 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    I pick up my strat as used CIJ ST57 70TX during my last trip to Osaka last year.
    Wasn't really familiar with electric guitar before that, and only inspired to get a strat after watching Stranger Than Fiction. At that point, i really couldn't tell what's what and what's not, but Japan seems like a good place for their reputable MIJ and their business etiquette and honesty and such.
    So long story short, I chose one based on look and with minimal cosmetic wear.

Time passed, i since played with it for few months, learning power chord, palm muting, change of strings, learning to switch pickup from selector, am pentatonic, few jam session and etc.
    Until this one time, one of the tone knob were loosen, and in order to tighten it back, i have to open the pickguard, and naturally i have a peek of the pickguard, which the model stated, a Texas Special.

To my surprise, it doesn't fully match the picture and info i get from here.
    It has the staggered poles, yellow clothes wire on the middle, and thats about everything there is.
    I couldnt spot the blue, yellow, and red dot on all three and moreover whats appalling is the DC resistance on each coil.
    Neck : 7.56
    Middle : 6.50
    Bridge : 6.25
    Yes, it seems like they were installed in reverse order (but the cable length seems right).
    So i'm seriously considering my one is an unfortunate case. though it still going to satisfy my playing for a while before i considering changing to other pickup over time.

any thoughts?
    20171205_145810.jpg

20171205_151733.jpg

20171205_151624.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    And they are noise cancelling, if my understand is correct, which noticeably no hum at position 2 & 4

3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    What color are the windings?

V3iHoN6 likes this.
  4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Exactly, that is the question. We need to see what colour the coils are, that will narrow it down a great deal.

Of course, Fender could simply apply cheap paper labels to every pickup to make questions like this unnecessary. But it seems that this is beyond them. :rolleyes:

V3iHoN6 likes this.
  5. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    If the measurements are in k Ohms they do match those of Texas Specials and possibly reversed.
    The Japanese pickups don't have Custom Shop stickers and apparently not the ink marks.

You should be OK with the middle and bridge positions but 7.5k may be a bit much for the neck.
    If you want to change anything that would my first choice.

V3iHoN6 likes this.
  6. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Ya neck and bridge flipped.

There is no yellow dot.

CSTS coil will be dark, like purple-ish.

If that's what they are, and you can't really get into them, try setting them lower................seems that is what is the trick for them sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Textele likes this.
  7. sjtalon

I'm not thinkin' CS Fat 50's as that one that seems to be the bridge is pretty low for that set.

Not that there are many sets of any pup that is right on the money.

8. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    This will sound stupid of me to ask, but just to be certain, do you mean the part that is further inside the white cover?

9. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    Lets just assumed they are reversed, I would have just flipped those 2 easily if the cable length are sufficient.
    Thing is the bridge pup cable is short and to sit it higher up in the neck would require me to change the cable, sounds like I need someone more knowledgeable to do it.

Also this lead me to wonder, how come I still notice that the neck pickup (supposingly is bridge, but got swapped to neck) still sounded "fuller tone", "more bassy", "less stringy" characteristics like the neck should normally have?

Is it totally because of their sitting? Meaning if I seat the middle or any other bridge to that position(neck), it will always show that characteristic compare to seat it in the middle or bridge.

10. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    Can't "get into them" in the sense of can't get the signature sound or can't get the tone to suit to my liking
    English isn't my first language, so just to be sure.

11. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Not all Texas Specials have the painted dots. My SRV sig model from 1999 had none. I expect, and others may be able to confirm, that the colored dots started to appear after a certain, unknown to me, date.

Electgumbo, David Garner and V3iHoN6 like this.
  12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That's exactly what I mean. We need to see the colour of the wire used for the coils so we can check that off on a list of identifying features, such as this one that I started a while back.

Stratocaster Pickup Specifications & Identification v4.jpg

V3iHoN6 likes this.
  13. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Texas Specials are funny pickups. Some people love them, but some people hate them. They are not for everyone, but for some people they are ideal.

V3iHoN6 and dueducs like this.
  14. sjtalon

That is correct

V3iHoN6 likes this.
  15. sjtalon

Yes

Also, You can just extend (lengthen) the ground leads you have on there now, no big deal.

Yes, inside. Texas Special in the picture below. CS Fat 50's would be a bright copper like a new USA penny.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  16. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    But hopefully a clearer pic than that one. I find it hard to tell the colour of the coils in that pic.

17. sjtalon

True, I attached a different one now.

V3iHoN6 likes this.
  18. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    Great.Thanks a lot.
    I will check soon as I can.
    For a while there I been loathing the idea of changing strings.
    Now at least I found a reason to looking forward to it.

I wouldn't go as far to love or hate them yet. Unless I can tell them apart from other first.
    So it's important for me to know what it actually is, or what it sounded like.

19. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    Unless I can find cable of same type and clothing.
    Or on second thought, can I soldered off at the pickup point so the cable wil stay exactly the same position?
    (Meaning I swap only the pickup, not the cable)

Thanks. Appreciate it.

20. V3iHoN6

Dec 4, 2017
    Malaysia
    Anyone mind shed some light regarding my neck and bridge reversed but somehow the bridge pickup that installed at neck position still sounded "fuller", "bassy", "less twangy" that a neck pickup generally have.
    Is it because of its seating nearer to the fretboard?