Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

zinc-carbon or alkaline for treble booster

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by jumbolumbo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jumbolumbo

jumbolumbo New Member!

Jun 8, 2017
    asheville
    I know this has debated forever for fuzzfaces and sometimes you'll hear about people's experiences with treble boosters occasionally thrown in the mix. I was wondering if people prefer one or the other for various reasons. I have use a DIY treble booster that only had a 9v power supply option. I just recently bought a Swart Atomic Boost and was wondering what my approach might be. I've got a FF type fuzz. So I don't necessarily need my Booster to be any more fuzzy. Just curious how some might use there booster and battery to get a certain sound.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    When the battery gets weak, it supplies a lower than rated voltage that reduces the headroom of the fuzz, but it’s a good sound. Some power supplies actually provide some connections with a “sag” setting to reproduce this effect, such as the Voodoo Labs.

3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Mar 30, 2010
    somewhere
    Yep, the Carbon zinc's can get weaker faster, and in smaller simpler circuits can affect the sound quite a lot (might be good, might be bad) but that's really the only difference, Well there is price too, you can more than likely find Carbon Zinc batteries at your local grocery store for $1 a piece. You'll know it when you see them, because it will only say "Heavy Duty" on them, and nothing about Alkaline.

But in small simple low current draw circuits like a Fuzz Face or a Treble booster, a carbon zinc battery can last about a year, as long as you can remember to unplug the cable from the input jack when you're done playing for the day.