Strat-Talk.com

Dynaguide String Tree Keeps you in Tune

first production small-2If you’re a regular user of the tremolo on your Strat, there’s a good chance you’ve had problems with your string tree. Those B and E strings have a tendency to bind up, causing tuning problems. That’s a big issue for someone in the middle of a Jeff Beck-whammy-bar phase, as Dutchman Fred Dingemans can attest. He tried everything: “I polished the string tree, greased it, raised its height, but nothing worked.” So Fred began to rethink the problem, and tinker. As a custom watchmaker, he’s used to dealing with small things that can affect the whole. The result of his hard work is the Dynaguide.

Unknown-4
“Conventional string trees concentrate on letting surface friction between the string and string tree/guide to be as minimum as possible,” Fred says. “Instead of trying to fight it, I use that same friction to let the Dynaguide move in a better manageable location.” He calls it a “string follower.” Watch how it works:

Here are the parts you’ll get:

Unknown-5 Unknown-2

How hard is it to install? Just check out this 18-second video:

Fred says the Dynaguide is “proudly made in the Netherlands.” The cost is 7.50 Euro. Add another 1.05 Euro for shipment to the U.S., and you’re grand total is $10.84.

For more information, head to Dynaguide.

And, if you’re shopping for a watch, Fred makes 25 fully-customizable pieces a year. Click the photo to find out more.

R0017362-300x300

Comments

9 Responses to “Dynaguide String Tree Keeps you in Tune”
  1. oatsoda says:

Let ‘er ride. A nice, simple, brilliant piece of kit. Now, if it could just reach over and graphite those nut slots for you once in a while…

2. nicholas says:

I liked the idea until I saw that it moves. I understand that it’s supposed to reduce friction but moving parts worry me. With that being said, It still looks promising and I may order one along with a barrel string retainer and find out for myself.

3. charlie chitlin says:

Well….Jeff Beck is in the middle of a Jeff Beck whammy phase, and he doesn’t seem to need one.

4. skinnyass says:

My Indy Cort Affinity Squires look cheezy enough without more plastic. Until I try a roller nut I think my stand-up string trees are good enough for an ADULT guitarist who uses his tremelo arm for mild trem and bends. I would never consider a “dive bomb” MUSIC. Only you children call it a whammy!

5. bendingtens says:

Found this old interview with Jeff Beck where he discusses his wang bar:

Do you find it going in and out of tune?

Yeah, you’ll hear that going out of tune, all right [laughs]. It’s a constant source of annoyance, actually, but I love the Strat and what more can you do? I’ve lived with it for long enough, it can stay.

6. Lincsman says:

I fitted the Dynaguide to my Mexican strat last night, well worth the money and it has made a difference,trem operation is easier, l like the way it moves in line with your trem and the way it keeps the B and E string in line.

I recommend it (plus it looks better than the horrible butterfly tree)

Lincsman