1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

£1000 to spend on a strat - what would you pick?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dadjokes, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:07 AM.

1. dadjokes

dadjokes New Member!

Hi all, first post here!

I've been playing mostly humbuckers for 25 years, but recently picked up a Cornford Hurricane so I can keep playing in my home studio while gigging is off the table.

Realised I don't have any single coils, so looking to rectify that!

I've got 1000GBP to spend on a strat, used or new, I don't like chunky necks or vintage radiuses but other than that, I just want a strat that looks, feels and sounds like a strat!

The model ranges are bewildering, so would really appreciate your opinions on what you'd recommend!

Jerseystratfiend and Tsjackson like this.
  2. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

2nd hand American Special. No chunky neck, 9.5 radius, tone pot on the bridge PU. Only downside is large 70s head if that's not your "look". Pickups slightly hotter than "classic". 6 screw trem.

Buying new means you are throwing away 259£ the moment the guitar leaves the shop.

Stratafied likes this.
  3. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Used American Standard if you find one in good condition on Reverb or eBay. Looking about £700-900.

I had an American Professional and found it a bit 'meh'.

Also had an American Special that I didn't like as it had the big headstock, 6 screw trem and I didn't care for the Texas Special pickups.

Player series are GREAT value (about £500) and I'd recommend one to anybody but some prefer US made and Players are Mexican. If that's not a consideration then I'd lean towards a Player.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 7:05 AM
  4. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

The red one ...:p

Sorry, I haven’t played any of the new models, so I cannot advise other than saying I like my ‘04 American Series ( Am Standard )

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    Groovey and Stratafied like this.
  5. jdanelam

jdanelam Strat-Talk Member

Since you asked what I would pick...I would pick a Vintera Road Worn. I have a 2010 60s Road Worn that I love. Have you played a 7.25 radius? They are great.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i would buy the best used guitar i could find and pocket the rest.

RobZ69, Groovey and Stratafied like this.
  7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You can pick up a used USA standard for around £700 on Ebay pick one near to you to avoid delays and postage and post the listing on here first so we can check it out for you.

Stratafied likes this.
  8. mexipan

mexipan Strat-Talker

9. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

I had a cornford hurricane a few years ago, a truly incredible amp.

The two best sounds I had from it was a les Paul with p90s and a telecaster.

but I’m sure any strat would sound glorious through it, it’s a very responsive amp to touch and volume swells. Maybe something with pickups that offer the same qualities

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I would buy me a pretty Tokai

[​IMG]

11. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

The last generation of American Standards were very nice and can usually be had within your budget. I had a 2016 and it was great, the Fat 50's are still my favorite Strat pickup.

stratobiker likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

If I was picking for me in that price range, I'd go with a Robert Cray sig Strat. That might not be your choice though.

If you like a flatter radius, Deluxe Roadhouse Strat might be a good choice. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK or not. Also, it has the noiseless pickups which some people like and some don't.

Other than that, buying new, I'd go with a Player, especially since you aren't interested in the vintage aspect on the Vintera models.

Used, it's going to depend on how patient you are to find an elusive unicorn deal. Watch out for modifications, partscasters and fakes.

13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

THIS. I wouldn't fret over the fact they're made in Mexico. The build quality is there. And if you shop around you could probably get both a used Strat and a used Tele for the same budget, and/or use the money you save to get a couple sets of single coils to try out and see what you like.

Blue Beagle likes this.
  14. dadjokes

dadjokes New Member!

Thanks everyone - you've helped me narrow it down to either an American Series or American Standard, I've set up a saved search on ebay and I'll wait for one I like the look of!

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

If it's not an American Fender it's crap. :whistling::p:D

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Oh, I think I may have heard that somewhere before. :eek::D:D:D

Stratafied and Ebidis like this.
  17. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Funny you say that...

I bought a Player Strat in Jan for £390 and just bought a Player Tele for £400!

Bob the builder and Baelzebub like this.
  18. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

I concur

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.