1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

£1000 to spend on a strat - what would you pick?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dadjokes, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:07 AM.

1. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’d buy an excellent condition American standard, I had an American special really good guitar sold it for a standard and love it. Player series is a very good choice but I’d go used not $700 new. , I’d also checkout the performer.

jtoomuch and stratobiker like this.
  2. biff44

biff44 Strat-Talk Member

as i stated in another thread, PLAY it first! Fender has a dizzying array of necks, and i found my fingers do not fit on the "modern C" neck. Make sure the one you are buying fits you.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    RadioFM74 likes this.
  3. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

Like others, I'd buy a Player. Great guitars, cool choice of colours and a chunk of change in your pocket.

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

OK, you don't like vintage spec or chunky necks, and this kills immediately the recommendation I had for you.

Given that: I'd try to find a nice used American Standard. So I concur with everyone, and think your choice is good!

If you fancy more vintage looks and appointments, there are a few nice options too: Classic Players / Vintera Mod are very nice, and might leave you with some good change in the pocket. American Vintage Hot Rod are much loved (don't know if they have big necks, though).

5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

I would get something like an ibanez sa and throw in the strattiest pickups my heart desired...no chunky necks,flat enough radiuses and the look is already there but the logo and the pointy headstock....

6. Sparque

Sparque Strat-Talker

7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

And how do you like them?

8. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I’d suggest a used vintage reissue. Either a 57’ or 62’ depending on if you prefer a rosewood fingerboard or a one piece maple neck?

9. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

You could get a used American Deluxe for £900.

10. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

On par with anything US made I've ever had from Fender except the lack of fingerboard edge rolling!

11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I agree. There are several good videos on rolling the edges but I'm not confident enough to attempt it on any of my better instruments. I just "retired" a 35 year old acoustic that my stepson was using and gave him a Little Martin instead. It's a real cheap MIK thing. While cleaning it up I'm practicing various skills so I think I might try the techniques on it, and see if I can master them before trying it on any of my players.

All that said..it's not something that bothers me much. I have a few guitars that have rolled edges, but I don't reach for them for that specific reason over others.

Blue Beagle likes this.
  12. tukoztukoz

tukoztukoz Strat-Talker

I ´ve just missed a custom shop Jeff Beck for ...1000$!!!!
    Someone ´s been quicker than me...

13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

The used 10 year old EJ strat I got a couple years ago has probably been my favorite in all accounts, feel, sound, and weight.

14. dadjokes

dadjokes New Member!

Yeah I have tried to play them first - took a trip to the nearest big city and managed to play a Performer, and was underwhelmed. Build quality didn't seem like £1100 worth and the setup was absolutely awful. Tried a Professional tele which was better, but the bridge pickup was too ice-picky.

I did spend a few years playing a 1996 American strat and the neck on that was fine, so I think I'm good with that.

The Vintera Modified look cool, especially the 60s one, but not found one to actually play anywhere.

15. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-Talker

16. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

If you want the essence of the strat and not just the logo you just need a 25.5 inch scale guitar with 21 frets(or 22 overhang) and a good set of single coil pickups....now your options are wide open cause pretty much every company under the sun builds a version of this...especially if you want modernised features like a flatter radius.

Ebidis likes this.
  17. dadjokes

dadjokes New Member!

Yes, but that makes the choice harder rather than easier!

18. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

I get a used 2008 AM stnd in olympic white.
    I would spend the change on an used AC15C1.

19. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talk Member

Buy a used American Standard. Greatest neck of all the Fenders I have played. Mine came with Fat '50s pickups, a Custom Shop creation.

20. Strontium Mog

Strontium Mog Strat-Talk Member

I'd buy two second hand at a £500 budget each, one rosewood boarded, the other maple.