´59 Thin Skin Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Towomba, May 23, 2014.

1. Towomba

Towomba Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys,

I bought a new (!) ´59 thin skin Strat in two tone sunburst in the UK recently.

It´s a great guitar and I read that they have "Custom 50s" pickups in there.
    Note: they´re not the Fat 50s and aren´t available to buy as replacement parts regulary, but they often come with ´56 Custom Shop Strats etc.

My question is: the pickups don´t have a sticker or label on the back?! While the CS Fat 50s, CS 69s etc. have a custom shop sticker (right or wrong?) these don´t have any.

They´re good pickups, maybe not perfect but I like them. Still I´m wondering if they´re really the Custom 50s or maybe anything else?

Is it the usual way of Fender not to label these?

Maybe someone owns these pickups in a Thin Skin or Custom Shop and could tell me a little about that.

Thanks, I´m looking forward to your replies!

2. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

I think I've got them in my 1993 DD Custom shop strat, and they did not come with any sticker back then...

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

It's because Fender is too indolent to go to the bother of labeling their pickups. Which is ridiculous. Even a Custom Shop sticker is pointless when there is more than one type of CS pickup. :confused: And then there are some pickups (e.g. Texas Specials), some of which have CS stickers and some don't.

It's a confusing mess & Fender should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it to continue.

4. Aed Ion

Aed Ion Strat-Talker

How do you know they aren't Fat 50's?

5. Towomba

Towomba Strat-Talk Member

I don´t to be honest, but the shop I bought it from labeled them as Custom 50s and Wildwood did back then when they sold the two tone 59s tell their customers they are Custom 50s and NOT Fat 50s.

Have to agree with stratman323 if its true that Fender doesnt label the pickups. It opens up for a lot of faking and stuff. How could you ever buy these Custom 50s used if they havent any freaking label? You can´t even tell if they´re Fender...

6. Aed Ion

Aed Ion Strat-Talker

Here's from tdpri.com

Vintage thin-skin '59 reissue - Telecaster Guitar Forum

7. rhgwynn

rhgwynn Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure that they don't label them because it's more profitable not too. Think about it for a moment. 1) No money spent on the labeling process; and 2) There are many customers who want the "real deal" and what better way to be sure you're getting it than to buy new. There will always be those weary of buying anything used, for fear of it being a fake.

8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Bareknuckle clearly engrave their name (though, sadly, not the model) onto the base of all their pickups. They don't seem to have gone out of business yet.....

9. Stratman1976

Stratman1976 Strat-Talk Member

I have one of those strat's too. 2T sunburst. Probably the greatest solid body guitar i've ever played and i've played many pre-CBS's countless times. No, i'm not joking.

Those PUP's are indeed CS 50's, the same ones are being used on CS 54's. Absolutely not the same as the Fat 50's.

That description from tdpri.com is very accurate.