‘50s Strat Build (kind of)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SethMesser95, Jan 4, 2019.

1. SethMesser95

SethMesser95 Strat-Talk Member

Really more of an assembly. I’m thinking I want to do a build with an American Original 50s body (you can buy them loaded on eBay for about $700) and slapping on a classic series neck, because I want the authentic 7.25 radius. With the tuners already on (I can’t drill because I’m legally blind and don’t want to pay someone to do it) it would be around $290 with shipping. To me, it shouldn’t matter that the neck is Mexican, a hunk of maple is a hunk of maple, right? I’ve seen beautiful necks in those classic series guitars. And I mean, a ‘50s strat with an American body and pickups for just under $1,000 isn’t too bad. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Probably should have posted in the DIY Strat section of the forum: http://www.strat-talk.com/forums/diy-strat-forum.42/

But to answer your question, why not just go for something like this:

https://reverb.com/item/12271017-fender-57-reissue-stratocaster-usa-1996-2-tone-sunburst

You'll never lose money on a quality, used USA made Fender. I'm a big fan of keeping the integrity of a guitar, as it left the factory.

Also, $1000 is a lot for a partscaster. If it was a $3-400 project (as many partscaster projects are), go for your life!

3. SethMesser95

Thanks, I’ll repost there.
    As far as getting a reissue, I’m trying to go as cheap as possible while keeping it as high quality as possible

Bazz Jass likes this.
  4. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    You don't need to repost it. This is the correct spot. DIY is more for building something from scratch.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  5. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

My suggestion was based on the fact that this (when originally posted) was in the preCBS forum. It's since been moved here to the general Stratocaster Discussion Forum :thumb:

6. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yes, I moved it here from pre-CBS. He cross-posted to DIY also.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Buy a Classic Series 50s. Then see what, if anything that needs to "improve" it.

8. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

you should be able to put together a 50s inspired build for less than the cost of the loaded American pro using quality parts. and if building is a challenge, follow @Thrup'ny Bit's advice is my advice.

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Yeah, the Fender Classic 50s Lacquer Strats are only $899 at Sweetwater, which might not need anything done to it if you like the pickups...

37C37961-01B4-4968-BDB5-8B75383D7E4F.png

...easy peasy!

10. SethMesser95

I’m actually not a big fan of how heavy they go on the black with those, but I do like the look of the regular classic series. I might buy one and at least a loaded pickguard from the American Original or drop in some 57/62’s and get some white pickup covers and knobs

11. SethMesser95

I would but I’m legally blind, so it would be easier for me personally to get everything mostly assembled already. More power to anyone who does this though!

12. SethMesser95

I’ve played a few in my local guitar shop, they have a standard surf green one and the FSR fiesta red with gold hardware (Hank Marvin, anyone?) and they have a classic player, which I like the sound of a little more. I believe they use 57/62’s in there, so I might just buy a classic series and drop a set of those in

13. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Classic 50’s Lacquer Series is a pretty good way to get your 50’s inspired Strat for certain. Especially if you want to get a nice take on the vintage guitar and vintage components. The Classic Player 50’s is more of a modern hybrid with locking machine heads, 2-point modern bridge and the nice pickups. I think they both have similar neck profiles and fretboard radius. You can’t go wrong with either of these guitars but if I were really itching for more a vintage guitar without taking out a second mortgage, the Classic 50’s lacquer would be the one I’d get.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

The Classic Player has modern 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets. It's more like an American Standard with a nice soft V neck than vintage, which is how I consider mine anyhow.

15. SethMesser95

Yeah, I’d go with a standard poly Classic Series though and not lacquer because I’m not a fan of how heavy they go on the black with the sunburst models

16. SethMesser95

It’s interesting how much of a precursor those are to the current player series strats. Almost the same guitars...almost.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Except that the Classic Player has a vintage style truss rod and looks and feels a lot nicer, well my '06 one does anyway. :)

18. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

Your idea sounds fine to me. I've always been drawn to the '50's style Strats, including an AVRI 56, Classic 50 and 2 CV50's. I swap necks, bodies and loaded pick guards, all the time. I've played guitar for over 50 years, professionally for over 15. I mainly play Strats and PRS guitars. Some are setup for me, as a front man, others are configured to better suit the sound of another recording artist.

I've got a Classic 50 Strat that I love. But, it didn't replace my American models as my main guitar, until I made a neck swap. My favorite neck is a MIM maple neck, with a 9.5" radius and 22 medium jumbo frets. As I am older, I find that 9 gauge strings and a 9.5" radius, are easier on my hands. I often had to play 4 to 8 hours a day, and I'm just trying to make things easy on myself.

[​IMG]

I've got builds with Mexican necks, that I love. And, I've got a MIM neck that is so bad, I won't mount it on a guitar. I do like my MIC CV50 necks. They measure right between my American and Mexican necks, regardless of what you read on forums.

The MIM bodies of the past few years, are indistinguishable from the American bodies. The CV50 two tone sunburst looks better in person, than in pictures. I really like the vintage neck, with it's 7.25" radius and smaller frets, on a guitar with 10 guage strings, de-tuned to Eb. It has a black pickguard, with '60's type alnico V pickups. I probably have less than $500, in it. When I put an American neck on it, no one can tell it from a 2k MIA model.

[​IMG]

The only guitar that I didn't want to modify, was my American Vintage. I liked my other guitars more, so I sold it. Have fun with your build.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    rafasounds likes this.
  19. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I had a regular Classic 50's for a brief period. It had a nice 50's vibe, kinda like Buddy Holly's Strat on the Chirping Crickets album cover. The sunburst was quite nice imo. It also had curvy smooth contours. The pickups were nothing bad for stock mexican ones - in fact not bad at all. I wouldn't have changed them had I kept the guitar. Nice alnicos with good strat tones.

DSC01421.JPG

chicago slim likes this.
  20. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I think that the Classic 50's come with 57/62 pickups.

Andrew Wasson likes this.