‘50s Strat Build (kind of)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SethMesser95, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Fender describe them as Vintage-Style Single-Coil Strat®

Classic Player 50s now come with American Vintage Single-Coil Strat® (RWRP set).

All reference to the 57/62s has now disappeared from the MIM specs.

2. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I think that they used to use two different types of bobbins. They have probably switched to the cheaper, version. Anyway, they sound about like the old Custom Shop 57/62's, for the discontinued AVRI's. Fender does make good reasonably priced pickups, with a more vintage correct output, than most after market pickups. $159.99, is a pretty good price for Fender's Original 57/62's. If I remember right, the Classic 50 uses plastic wiring.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/stratocaster-parts/fender-original-’57’62-strat-pickups/0992117000.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  3. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I don't think the pickups in my classic series 50s were anything fancy. They looked like regular joes with plastic leads. This guitar was from 2007. They sounded good enough to me. I'll post pics later.

4. Gmec78

Gmec78 New Member!

Not to jump your thread but I’m into the 50s vibe. I’ve got a 50s classic series MIM with the Special Edition (according to the headstock) in apple green. I believe it was a guitar center deal with fender in 2014-2015. My neck is the Fender soft V but was damaged during shipping from Guitar Center (still very playable). I’ve decided to keep it and replace the neck with a Musikraft neck. I like the 7.25 radius and the V shape but I wish the neck was deeper from front to back (widthwise is perfect). I’ve played 58 Les Paul necks and had no problem either but the V shape is the most comfortable to me. Modern C even at only 9.5 while isn’t painful just seem to be awkward for my hand. Anyone have a suggestion as to the Musikman neck profile I should be looking at (57, Clapton or Boatneck). I’m looking at maple fretboard, vintage frets, kluson nickel tuners, heavily rolled edged and will be doing the nitro finish myself via Reranch.

5. SethMesser95

SethMesser95 Strat-Talk Member

I’m going for a Buddy Holly look! That’s perfect advice, thanks!

rafasounds likes this.
  6. SethMesser95

I would love to see that classic series if possible! I’ve only seen the special edition jet blue one

7. SethMesser95

That’s very helpful, thank you! Beautiful strats!

8. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

The beauty of building or assembling your own Strat is that you can get your own CUSTOM - JUST the way you want it.

The cost difference is relatively unimportant.

I say you should go for it and have it YOUR way. ( and have fun doing it )

Andrew Wasson and chicago slim like this.
  9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

You’re right about that, plus the “yellow” part of the Sunburst is also darker than most of the real 50s Strats I’ve seen.

Perhaps Fender did that on purpose to distinguish these from their Custom Shop models, which appear to resemble their vintage counterparts better...