‘57 American Vintage ReIssue

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Dzimmer1, Aug 15, 2018.

1. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

HNGD !

It's a American Vintage (Series),no RI

2. Jimistone

Jimistone Strat-Talk Member

beautiful guitar!

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Well it's designed to. In car painting terms "flash coat" means "rushed job" - just a few thin coats sprayed on in a rush with no base or sealant coat. Time will tell how long it stays on for, but it was intended to wear quickly. What we don't yet know is how quickly.

4. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

What is the deal with this? I thought I'd worked it out and pre 2012 it was AVRI then replaced by the AV series which is now superseded by the American Original series?

It's all pretty confusing!

Fuzzpop likes this.
  5. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

Yeah I'm hoping it does wear nicely, I've never been one to want a guitar to remain pristine, I like them to show signs of age. I've always thought it a shame that my beloved MIJ that I've played pretty heavily for 22 years doesn't show much sign of age. Only the chips and marks from when I literally threw it around as a teenager!

6. stratman323

That is my understanding as well. AVRI from 1982 to 2012.

Fuzzpop likes this.
  7. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Guitar in the Space Age! Platinum Supporting Member

We all call them AVRIs because that's what has become shorthand for the 82-12 guitars. We talked about this in the other thread. Even Fender doesn't have standard nomenclature for this stuff. They're all over the place.

stratman323 likes this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

sjtalon is trying to be "technically correct" based on some Fender literature. I posted this when it came up in another thread and he made a similar post: Fender was very scattered with what they called these models - even calling them just "American Vintage" on the printed price lists (which Fender has posted) but calling them "American Vintage Reissues" in catalogs from the same year. And technically the name "American Vintage" wasn't even applied to the line until January of 1998 - when it was applied to the 1982-early 1998 version! Then they of course continued to use the "American Vintage" name when the revised versions came out prior to July 1998 (when the "American Vintage" series all say "New Model" on the price list. Fender Frontlines are horrible as well, even the later ones where you'll find one model referred to the "American Vintage [insert model name here] Reissue" but the model below it is just referred to as the "American Vintage [insert model name here]". And lord only knows what they really called the AVRI '70s Strat - I think it had a different name in every catalog and price list for the first 3 years it was available.

And stratman323 - I that Fender did actually apply the name "Reissue" to the MIJ models for a couple of years circa the late 1980s (I was looking for how they treated the USA models - at that time they were using "U.S. Vintage Series" for them) at least on the USA price lists; they may have used something else in the UK and elsewhere.

Since Fender is really scattered I say we stick to the convention we've been using since August 2012 - "AVRI" is close enough for the models that were made between 1982-August 2012, and "AV" is reserved for the series made August 2012-2017.

9. stratman323

I agree. Yes it is a confusing mess, Fender should listen more to common sense than they do to their stupid marketing people who seem like they're straight out of University!

And I agree - ST shorthand (for everyone's convenience) is that we call the '82 to '12 US guitars AVRIs since that's when they made 57RIs & 62RIs. After 2012 it all changed.