‘96 Strat Plus replacement tuners

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by slide13, Nov 3, 2018.

1. slide13

slide13 Strat-Talk Member

i have a ‘96 Strat Plus in sonic blue that I’ve had since new and am freshening up this year. Gave it a new pickguard and electronics, pulled the tremsetter and went to 5 springs and a decked trem and also put on some Callaham saddles as my stock saddles screws were kinda rusted and a few were stripped out.

So obviously not keeping this one stock but just looking to give it a freshening up.

As part of that I’d really like to get some chrome tuners to replace the bead blasted ones, plus one of the stock ones has gotten kinda tough to turn last few years. I thought these were Schaller tuners so I ordered some chrome Schallers for a 6 in line setup and thought they’d drop right in. Pulled the stock ones last night and first glance everything looked good, two small holes for the pins on the headstock just as expected, but they were positioned farther away from the main post than the replacement Schallers I got.

Anybody know why? Are there different Schallers I need with some special spacing for those posts?

2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I vaguely recall something about the Schaller tuners getting some kind of revision in the middle 1990s - but I thought it was just the thumbwheels, not the pin spacing. I guess that changed as well, so I would assume that the Fender Deluxe tuners would have the same pin spacing as the new Schallers you bought.

I wonder if something that uses a mounting plate, like the Hipshot tuners, might fit?

3. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

4. slide13

slide13 Strat-Talk Member

That sounds right, thanks! Was at a GC today and they had Fender locking tuners that look like they’ll be the right fit so I grabbed them to try. At least they’re easily returned if not, but hopefully these will do the trick. Thanks!

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks for posting this - I was under the impression that the Schaller M6 minis (i.e. the non-Fender-Style tuners) only had 1 pin like a Sperzel. Or does Schaller have both a 1-pin and a 2-pin M6 mini?