Join Strat-Talk Today

’65 PRRI speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Rob Moreno, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

I’m GASing badly for a ’65 princeton reverb. I have a THR10C and love its Fender clean amp model, but sometimes I wish I had a real tube amp with a bit more oomph. I only play at home so a princeton seems like a perfect choice. I see there are several speaker options available for this amp. It’s hard to judge the differences by watching comparison videos on YouTube. Even the stock C10R sounds different in every video I see. Can anyone who has compared different speakers chime in with their opinions? In particular, I’d like to hear from anyone who as tried one with a Jensen P10Q, since there’s a used “fudge brownie” I found online that I might pounce on.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

If you want it to sound huge , an Eminence Ragin' Cajun will do it.

Otherwise a plain vanilla Eminence Legend 1058 will sound great.

3. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

I've owned a '65 PRRI with the stock C10R. I found the bottom end quite loose, and not inspiring even though it lends itself to that vintage sound at lower volumes.

Before I sold it, I tried a Naylor 1040 and then subsequently a Weber 10F150.

The Naylor brought out all of the mids that would make this amp stand out in the mix, but because of the smaller enclosure, there was a lot more honk than what I was willing to live with.

The Weber made the amp sound like a really nice, small combo. Sounded like the Jensen C10R, but without the flabby, woofy bottom, and a whole lot punchier.

I've never heard the P10Q, so I cannot comment.

Rob Moreno and rolandson like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

It seems as though Eminence has taken over from where the original Jensens left off. I've sampled three of their offerings; the Red Fang, Swamp Thang, both in 12" and their Alpha 10A 10" (a very neutral speaker designed for pa cabinets) ...

I have a small collection of speakers running the gauntlet of names familiar in the sixties and seventies, and some that grew out of the boutique era of the nineties ... sitting in boxes.

Including a pair of newer Jensen P10Q 10". They're, in my opinion, crap. It is also my opinion that they should not be compared to the Jensen's of the sixties and seventies. I keep them because they get used when I want to drive my 4-10 at levels that might put the original speakers at risk. I pair them with a couple of 10" Weber C10Q's (an "okay" speaker...just okay) for that purpose. if they blow, they blow.

I prefer the Eminence.

I understand that the Princeton lends itself well to substituting a separate soundboard and 12" speaker with pleasant results...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Rob Moreno likes this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Ive always found American speakers are very nuetral sounding and well either bright or not bright with muddy bass.

Try a Celestion, they make the G10 for 100$. Its a Greenback in a 10 inch packing 30 watts. Should warm up your tone and give some nice fat tones and much deserved mids.

Also recomend Tone Tubby speakers for any Fender amp as an alternative to your standard American voice speakers. This is a there take on a Celestion blue in a ten inch with a Hemp Cone.https://www.tonetubby.com/all-products/silver-bullet/

My 2 cents.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HHLO1I/?tag=strattalk05-20

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    EC Strat-boy and Rob Moreno like this.
  6. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Celestine cream back woke my PR up

Rob Moreno likes this.
  7. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

The best advice I can give you is know what type of tone you’re going for as much as possible prior to going down the rabbit hole.

PRRI and blackface Amps in general are known for their chimey / bell-like tones (high end tones) and crystal clear sounds that are bright.

So they’ve tended to be paired with Jensen’s stock as Jensen’s have a tendency to be bright / chimey voiced speakers.

I have a blues jr that I have modded pretty extensively and swapped out the stock Jensen for an Eminence Cannabis Rex (hemp cone) bc I wanted a more warm / jazz / bluesy type of a tone that tamed the highs.

So do your research as speaker companies such as Weber and Eminence tend to have a wide variety of speakers that are all voiced differently.

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the Fudge Brownie. I don't have anything by means of comparison, but it sounds fantastic. I love it. The few videos you can find online are accurate in their sound. I turn the bass EQ up and play a low E chord and then slowly pull the bass back until it stops farting out. Have plenty of bass that way. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Fender Phil and Rob Moreno like this.
  9. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the replies! There's a lot of valuable information here. I checked the Sound House website (Japan's equivalent of Musician's Friend) and was pleasantly surprised that they stock many of the popular speakers from Celestion and Eminence, and the prices are not much more than what they sell for in the US. So what I'll probably end up doing is getting a stock 65 PRRI with a C10R or P10Q (since a bright, chimey strat sound is what I like) and IF I'm not satisfied I'll try ordering one of the other speakers you suggested.
    Now if only the price of Fender amps were the same here as in the US. They retail for crazy money in Japan.:mad: https://www.amazon.co.jp/stores/pag...ba7d-9eac2cb6bb04&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2322527051

10. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

I have the 12" '65PRRI, not the 10", but I can share my limited experience. I tried a few different speakers in there, including a CRex and a Celestion Creamback. But in the end I went back to the Jensen P12Q, which is stock in the Bordeaux version. That one sounded the most clear and balanced, with beautiful highs that are not harsh, and a tight bass.

Paperback Rocker and Rob Moreno like this.
  11. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talker

I consider my Brownie a keeper, as delivered by Fender. As that speaker breaks in, it only gets better. I have had dozens of amps, and still have a dozen. A few amps may come close to what the Brownie does, but the Brownie with pedals, sounds impressively unique.

Rob Moreno and Paperback Rocker like this.
  12. jbear

jbear Strat-Talker

WGS-ET65 in mine...love it. If you're a Greenback fan...it just as nice and slightly it's own thing.

Rob Moreno likes this.
  13. Fender Fool

Fender Fool Strat-Talker

I've had my PRRI for about 6 years now, it's a very good amp. I just rescently retubed with NOS vintage tubes. great improvement.

Everyone who owns one , it's well worth the investment, especially the rectifier. It made a big difference to the better.

IMHO the stock C10R is a very weak speaker

I have a Weber 10f150t in it now. and while it's not my holy grail speaker. It's the best I've tried so far. It's not a true blackface tone. It's a bit heavy in the lower mids

I believe a vintage princeton is a better investment , yes more cash but the real deal.

The-Kid and Rob Moreno like this.
  14. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

Don’t you know fender tried different speakers before they put it on the market to get the sound they wanted for the Princeton. In my opinion if you don’t like the sound of it , spend your hard earned money on the one that sounds right to you.

Rob Moreno likes this.
  15. plectrumelectru

plectrumelectru Strat-Talk Member

Swamp thang is a 150watts great in a deluxe reverb but the copperhead and cannibes Rex is your best best for a single. I used both of these in my vibrolux and man it totally changed the amp. New tubes rather than cheap sovtek groove tubes. Get yourself some 7025s or try out the new svetlana 12ax7 they are not as harsh as the EH but not as grainy as the tung sol. Nice tight bass and all the fender chime you want. Good luck

Rob Moreno likes this.
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Either one is good to be honest.

Having been to Revival Amps headquarters and trying out his Princeton clones....and going to GC and trying a bunch.

PCB vs Turret board blah blah blah and other snobery.

The handwired amps were IMO no better than the Fender current production with PCB....Imagine the same deal with vintage vs current production

Its just a matter of taste.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Rob Moreno likes this.
  17. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

I've used Eminence Legend 105's, in three different amps. I really like it for tweed sounds. Plus, it has made the amps louder enough for shows, of up to around 200 people. This doesn't matter, if you only play at home. The low end doesn't fart-out, like a Jensen C10R. I have used the C10R for home use.

The Celestion G10N-40 is another speaker that I have used and liked. It's not as loud as the the Legend 105, but it is more neutral balanced. It works well for both British and American sounds.

Rob Moreno likes this.
  18. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

I would go for the WGS Veteran 10.

Rob Moreno and The Strat Dude like this.
  19. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

stupid money but my celestion gold has topped every speaker i have tried and easily.

it is in my princeton/deluxe clone now.

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

Yep, it sounded best in my PRRI of all the ones I tried.

Rob Moreno likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.