“1986” 1962 AVRI

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Skip2MyPou, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Skip2MyPou

Skip2MyPou Strat-Talk Member

This was advertised as a 1986 reissue. The stamps, although, appear to end in an 8. Is there anything odd about the dating? I’m not sure, but is there any indentations or anything wrong with the fretboard?
    I read that this year yielded some good vintage reissues when having just moved to the new Corona factory.

Attached Files:

2. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

Clearly ends in 8. I can't really read what the pots say on my phone. But I think it's an 88. Big difference between 86 and 88 would be the 86 would likely have Fullerton parts/features. I don't see the odd shaped headstock you would see on a Fullerton one.

Dynomark likes this.
  3. Skip2MyPou

Anything wrong in particular with the 1988 reissues made in the Corona factory? I read that the contours of the body are more vintage correct than the Fullerton ones.

4. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

Nothing wrong at all... vintage correct contours is kind of an anomaly. They were hand sanded and varied. I love the contours on my Fullerton Reissue as does anyone I've ever talked to about them.

stratman323 and Skip2MyPou like this.
  5. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

Also, for me the reason why I love the Fullertons is the neck shape. Perfect for me. Probably a little slimmer than the ones made in 88

Skip2MyPou likes this.
  6. Skip2MyPou

I’m looking for a slimmer neck shape, so I will maybe look into verifying the year this guitar as made or maybe getting some measurements. The seller is claiming the last number of the year of the stamp to be a “Smeared 6.” I’m not reslly so sure about that, though.

7. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

The last pot does date to 86, but that doesn't mean the guitar was made then. We'd need to see pics of the body contour to see if it has a "Fullerton curve". How much is he asking?

stratman323 likes this.
  8. Skip2MyPou

That’s true. Could be some left over parts that were used for the guitar. He’s asking $2200 USD. I think this guitar wouldn’t have Fullerton body contours with it being made at the Corona factory, would it?

9. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Still looks great to me. How much?

10. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

oh! just saw the above..MMmm....I find it a little steep...

and what's with the High E saddle?

11. Skip2MyPou

Not sure what’s up with that. Just assumed it was just sitting like that. I’m very particular about the guitar I buy, because of the neck sizing. My small hands don’t mesh well with most vintage reissue necks, unfortunately.

12. scott223

scott223 Senior Stratmaster

Probably a nice guitar. I would guess it's a 1988. The middle pot is dated 24th week of 1986. The saddle isn't a big deal. The frets appear to need some work. Really hard to tell from photos. Fret ware often appears much worse than it is. Price seems a bit high for a "player grade" guitar.

Yves and Skip2MyPou like this.
  13. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

That price is way too high imo

14. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

Crazy! I was lookin' at the same post a few days ago. I was thinkin' the same thing.

Skip2MyPou likes this.
  15. fiesta62

fiesta62 Strat-Talk Member

its 88, pots are 86 but that happens u got to go by the latest date, and its pretty clear 88, but pics of rear body contours would confirm this, also I don't see any neck dates? it was common on the later 80's neck to have no date, I read into this when I bought a 89 corona it had no neck date, apparently from 88 onwards they often skipped the date, but on 86 /87 u would usually always see a date
    I been collecting and following these guitars closely, I collect 83 to 89, but in coronas I do prefer the 86/87 especially 86 its the first year new factory no CBS, this guitar your looking at isn't that clean got some dings and stuff, no mention of case candy ? that counts a lot too, just a 5 way in the packet will cost you about $80, then manual and all the rest, I have bought 2 custom colour 86 coronas this month, both $2400 usd, both 9/10 all case candy, much cleaner than this one your looking at, wait for a colour pay a bit more and buy a real investment
    I put a thread asking questions about these and suggested to the moderators to have a category for just 82 to 89 avri fenders, no response but I think it would be cool to get more info in one place on these.....

16. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Seems too much to me as well.

Yves likes this.
  17. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Why are we assuming it's from 1986? Because of the date from one pot? Hmmm.

It should have a date pencil written onto the neck butt. But it doesn't. That worries me & would probably put me off the guitar.

Skip2MyPou likes this.
  18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

No it's not common, it's rare for an AVRI to have no neck date. There are some examples we have seen on here over the years, so we know they exist, but they are far from common. The problem is that it's difficult or impossible to date an AVRI if it doesn't have a neck date!

19. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

I have an '88. Love it. The neck is a little slimer than I'd ideally like, but it's otherwise a great instrument.

20. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

What i do not like about this AVRI Strat is that imo there is too much red in the three color sunburst....