“Decking” a Stratocaster Trem - Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by snsn, Mar 9, 2019.

1. snsn

snsn New Member!

I'm a new player with a 2018 Player Strat MIM. Like it alot.

I asked my shop to set it up for the lowest string height and easiest playing.

They suggested locking down the trem system, which they did.

Can I get some help on the reasons "for" and "against" doing this?

I can say that at this point in my learning I don't use the trem bar much anyway.

Thanks.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I'd always suggest decking the bridge for a new player. Learning to play with a bridge that doesn't move is hard enough.

Cesspit likes this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Agree totally. Takes out a variable!

4. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Reasons for: tuning stability, string bending stability (depending on if it's decked or blocked)
    Against: can't use trem in one or both directions ( again, depends on if it's decked or blocked) sometimes you loose a tiny bit of sparkle in the tone when the bridge isn't floating.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Decking the trem, putting the arm away (and plugging the trem arm hole so you don't lose that little spring if it has one), is one of the best new guitar new player mods you can do.

Otherwise you spend half your practice time doing Hair Metal whammy dives instead of learning the chords and then spend the other half of your practice time on youtube forums finding out solutions to why your guitar is going out of tune.

That whammy bar is a huge distraction. You'll also get more playing compliments if you bend strings and do some vibrato than going down the path of whammy tricks and speed shredding.

Eric Clapton approves of decking/blocking trems. His Fender signature guitar ships with a wood block in the kit even. Because he does a lot of soulful string bending and can't have the other strings moving too.

You'll find tuning up your guitar at the start of a practice session is faster and more accurate too. And you should always tune your guitar before you play -- trains your ears over time.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  6. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I guess I am in the minority here.Mine is decked.I can use it a little bit, and I have no tuning issues.

7. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

I've decked every strat I've owned (and that's a few). Main reason for me is with the trem operational, when you bend a string, any others still ringing will go slightly out of tune..

8. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

I like 'em floating...