“New slab” rosewood vs old, specifically color?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by c_corie, Oct 17, 2020.

1. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

More problems than what???
    And what problems??? Its nothing I've ever heard of before, and is the complete opposite of what I'd expect if I were to consider logic, or applying physics to the scenario.

If you're comparing to round lam boards for this myth, they were only used for an incredibly short period of time - and only by Fender AFAIK. Every other maker uses slab.
    So not only is there way too little info or statistical significance to most comparisons, but every maker of note has chosen to use, and continue using, the slab.

c_corie likes this.
  2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Isn't your Wildwood using Indian rosewood? Different species but still nice looking stuff.

3. c_corie

c_corie Strat-Talk Member

Yes, I think technically every guitar I own has Indian rosewood, although I have ones that are very brown, some that have lots of stripes of darker or more purple ish colors, this was my first experience with one that’s quite red. It looks like some Brazilian rosewood I’ve seen, if it isn’t very very dark can have that red color, although I’m sure most rosewood could really be any color.

The thing that gives this guitar away as very much Indian rosewood is it has the most little dot pores out of any guitar I own, except maybe my Gibson SG, most others are fairly “smooth” looking.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Got that right and it's that among other facts reguarding Lutherie that was used as argument to get the CITIES restrictions reduced...

r

Nate D likes this.
  5. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Myth

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Absolutely

If ya heard it on the internet, the chances of it being completely accurate, useable information is like hitting on the Lottery.. Know your sources..

r

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  7. Spats

Spats Strat-Talk Member

The Strat Plus Ultra had an ebony fingerboard.

StratoMutt likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

BLO builds up over time and makes the fretboard all nasty. I'd never use that crap.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  9. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

It’s too slimy and greasy.

10. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Fender went to the round lam as a cost saving measure, since rosewood was much more expensive than simple maple boards. It had to be imported, etc.

I have several newer rosewood boards and they are just as dark as the older stuff. This was the 59 reissue it was fairly light in color.

59 strat 3.jpg
    The 62 reissue
    DSC_6769_ (c) 2011TedRoss.JPG

11. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

The strat chronicles states the reason for the change from slab to veneer was due to the way fender cut the fret slots. Fender used a swing arm fret slot cutter and the arm was curved on top not allowing a deep fret slot in the middle of the fret board . Leo believed the fret slots were not cut deep enough on the slab boards. Leo also believed when the weather changed maple and rosewood expanded or contracted at different rates, they could cause a twist or warp. The thinner laminate board in the middle allowed a deeper cut for the fret slots preventing the issue of twist or warp.

This theory makes sense to me.

12. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Martin is on record as back in the day as always picking the darkest rosewood, the straightest grain, and least figuring.

Another thing they used BRW for is fence posts, barns, houses. I bought a really beautiful half of a fence post 20 years ago, from Brazil for fret boards, and still have it. Yes, it also has documentation from CITIES.

Its 30 inches x 4 x 4, and is highly figured. Red, Orange, and Black.

13. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

Where did you get that tidbit from???
    As a builder, its not making sense. Unless they made the edge of the fretboard considerably thinner on the round lam, you still have to buy/machine the same sized fretboard blank.
    But unlike the slab, you then have to radius both the neck shaft on the top, and then the fretboard on the bottom.....with enough precision in both cases so they mate well enough for a glue joint.

Pandamasque likes this.
  14. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talk Member

I thought about this too. Seems like an unnecessary complexity, very un-Fender-like!
    Why would they do that? Does the curved glue joined improve rigidity?

15. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

I do not remember where I read that, but I cannot find it at the moment. I do know he also was concerned that the two materials might expand or contract at different rates and either twist or warp the neck.

Funny thing is after they went to Rosewood they would simply cap a maple neck with a maple cap if you wanted Maple.

Pandamasque likes this.
  16. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

I think the look of the older ones has to do more with the fact that they used Brazilian variety and now use Indian. I know very little about wood, but I have looked at a lot of images of old Strats. The rosewood used on the '60s Strats looks the best to me, it had a red hue to it, and it looked shinier. The newer stuff looks less colourful and appears more dry.

I found this on the internet, food for thought?

[​IMG]

17. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

How can it be useless if it feeds hours of internet discussion fun! :whistling::p:D:eek:

kdines likes this.
  18. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talk Member

Is the Indian Rosewood the same thing as Indian Laurel that they use on Classic Vibe these days? I have it on a Jazz Bass and it just looks like rosewood that's begging to be oiled.

19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I have two words for you: richlite

Sorry, one word.

20. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

No, it's totally different species of wood.