00:49

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Boubou, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:50 AM.

1. Boubou

Boubou Strat-Talker

I like that idea, I also have a bow

dogletnoir and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I always liked fireworks when I was a kid. But we had to drive an hour to see a display. We'd set off a few, but rockets and mortars were no good. We lived in a canopy forest, we had clearings big enough to launch that stuff--but not big enough to still see it once it goes up. We'd set off a few firecrackers, and maybe two or three of the kind that does something close to the ground. My favorite was the little army tank fireworks.

Now I'm in the burbs, seems like most of my neighbors spend $500+ on fireworks, some of them are spending over $1000. It's truly ridiculous. And it started about a week ago. On the 4th, it's just a constant barrage of noise that goes from sundown till past midnight, it lights up the sky enough you can see by it, and it's loud enough that it almost drowns out the sound of all the terrified dogs. My neighborhood is probably burning more gunpowder than the entire battle of Bunker Hill.

And then on the 5th I get to go pick up all the detritus out of the yard.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Is that when you celebrate getting rid of us whining colonists? :D

duzie, myredstrat and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Call to 911 CHP dispatch @ 01:30 hrs.
    'Hello, what is your emergency?'
    "I'm surrounded by insurgents, they have heavy ordinance (mortar goes off in background) I need support or extraction."
    "Sir, it sounds like fireworks."
    "What? I can't hear you.(3 m-80s go off in close succession followed by another mortar cannon round)
    "Sir, I can send someone when an officer becomes available, but they're busy with other things right ow."
    "(sound of a 12 gauge shell being racked) OK, what are the rules of engagement?"
    "What?"
    "When can I shoot back?"
    "Sir you can't discharge a firearm in the developed part of the county." (2 more mortars and a pack of firecrackers go off next door)
    "OK, I think you said anytime I feel threatened, I'm good" click
    Cops arrive in 3 minutes and try to come in and search my house, I ask if they have a warrant. Just as Fearless Fosdick is about to tell me he doesn't need one, another mortar from down the road goes off.
    "Sound like you've got an excellent articulable suspicion to go search that guy's place. Now get off my porch and do your job!"

henkejs, Boubou, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My ex wife used to be a fireworks dealer. She would go up to Washington every year and buy mortars and such. Then on the fourth she would blow the mortars out of the backyard. She never got caught. I hate having a scared dog each year on the fourth. But I guess no use in complaining. Nothing ever gets done about it.

6. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

seems to me you did do something about it ;)

johnnymg and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Boubou

Boubou Strat-Talker

Just writing this after my call to 911.
    Talked to the local police station today, cop said they are illegal, call any time don’t be shy.
    Dog is trying to crawl in my skin and keeping me warm with her hot panting breath.
    This is for you guys
    upload_2020-6-30_22-12-0.png

Sarnodude and myredstrat like this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

No, we celebrate that on July 4th, in November we celebrate Yorkshireman Guy Fawkes attempt to blow up Parliament... ;)

CB91710 likes this.
  9. fos1

fos1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Same here in my Texas neighborhood. We have the sweetest dog and she is terrified of fireworks. They have been firing them off all week and it will only get worse. The stuff they fire off can't be legal but you can buy deadly amounts of gunpowder based explosives all over town from warehouse sites to portable trailers.

We just have to stay up and comfort Dolcie. :(

I guess it is worse this year since all of the "legal / commercial" shows have been canceled.

10. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

According to my local PD, apparently, there are a lot of online sales this year. No clue how they are skating on shipping regulations, or maybe shipments are getting caught confiscated, but there's no "customs" for interstate mail/shipping and pretty much everything is legal in NV/AZ.
    So it seems that's part of it.
    Stimulus money this year.
    People are bored.

fos1 likes this.
  11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

People with just rudimentary intellectual skills find
    Loud noises
    And
    Sparkly light exciting....
    Especially when
    They cause them....