10 gauge strings too heavy

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by StevenCH, Apr 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

9's are the new 10's. The Irreverent Billy F. Gibbons uses 7's. BB King used 7's!

gambi_no likes this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Just a Guy on the Internet Platinum Supporting Member

The list of phenomenal players that played incredibly light strings is epic. If you assert you can't get great tone without a certain string gauge, that's a bold claim facing a huge wall of counter-examples. Play what you like.

3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

BB King used heavy bottom 10s. If Billy Gibbons claims otherwise, he's mistaken.

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

0416212317.jpg

My new fave set for 24 3/4" scale. I do tune down a half step though.

As mentioned, just play what you like.

5. dirocyn

The stock strings on Squiers are generally 9s--and have been since the 80s. Fender guitars generally come with Fender strings, and those are decent quality--but they may be past their prime by the time you get them. New strings sound different than old strings--some people change their strings all the time (like, a couple times a month) and some people keep the same set for years. For myself, if I feel rust or if I break a string, the set is getting replaced.

Try 8s, maybe you'll like them.

6. ross

ross Strat-Talk Member

Won't 8s rust through faster! Seriously, what ever works for you. I've tried 9's, most of my guitars came with them, when I tried 10's they were keepers.

7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Mr. King used 10s.
    Mr. Gibbons didn't use 7s until he started selling them.

dirocyn likes this.
  8. ladewd

ladewd Strat-Talk Member

Since I’m also a keyboard player, I always tune my guitars to E. I used to use 10’s when I was young. Once I bought a few different guitars I noticed some guitars play better with 10’s. I like 10’s on my 335 style Artcore and felt comfortable with 10’s or 9’s on my Les Paul. My PRS is always strung with 9’s. I believe the shorter the scale, the more loose the strings feel. So I always use 9’s on my Strat.

9. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

10. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I have difficulty understanding why string gauge threads on here always end up being 12 pages long. The reason there is a variety of string gauges is because there is a variety of tastes and/or needs.

My only Strat is strung 12-54 and I have no problem doing huge bends. I always thought that was normal until I saw a few of these threads and noticed that the majority of people play 10s or 9s. I guess I just have strong hands (I'm a mechanic). I don't think we need to really keep pointing out what all the famous players used, we really just need to choose our strings with what we like best. I personally find string tension to be the most important factor to my string choice. I deal with the fact that they're not as bright or rich with overtones as the lighter strings. And on a Strat, I like that.

11. CB91710

Any story from Gibbons (or EVH) is suspect.
    Whether intentional deceit, misremembering, lack of context, feeling the need to provide an answer rather than say "I don't know"... or a misunderstanding by the reporter (VERY common and possibly the source of the story that EVH cranked his variac to 130v)....
    It is well documented that Mr. King used heavier strings.
    His comment to Gibbons was at a time that Gibbons was supposedly using 13s. Funny that the story wasn't told until nearly 50 years later shortly before Dunlop started selling the Rev's strings.

The story was related as having happened when Billy was 22... that would have been around 1971.
    In 1971, 10s were considered "light", Hendrix used 10-38, which was the Fender "Spanish Guitar light gauge rock 'n roll No. 150" set.
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/history-of-electric-guitar-strings.497204/

8 and 9 were available as single strings, but not in a set in 1970.

dirocyn likes this.
  12. dirocyn

The article's sole source is mr gibbons. Who didn't actually specify BB king's string gauge in the article, other than to say it was light. BB said he played heavy bottom 10s, and he would know. Mr. Gibbons is well known for tall tales and exaggeration. In this case, he is wrong.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. dirocyn

I need to correct the record there. 150sl and 150xl sets appear in a 1970 price list. Those sets were specified to be 8s and 9s, respectively in a 1973 price list. So it's highly likely fender 8s and 9s were around in 1970.

Also, Fender wasn't the only company selling guitar strings. Ernie Ball's whole schtick was light strings, so he may well have started selling 8s and 9s before Fender did.

CB91710 likes this.
  14. CB91710

But not 7s ;)

And not on Lucille ;)

dirocyn likes this.
  15. theaaron

theaaron Strat-Talk Member

FWIW I played the new vintera strats that had 9s on it, to me it sounded way more stratty than the custom shop strat with 10s I tried later. I think it also depends on the pickups, I have CS69s in my strat and they're pretty thin with the 10s I'm using, I would imagine it'd sound thinner with 9s. But if I were to vote, 10s would always win for me, and yes it's more of a feel thing. I'm very used to fighting with my strats as I find that the more I fight with it, the more it gives me.

There's also the whole other thing about how effects play with string gauges, overdriven I find 10s to be fuller especially on a strat, and less brittle. Bottomline is there's just too many variables to have a definitive answer to which gauge is best. The music you play, how heavy you play, the effects you use, the amps you use, the pickups you have.

16. bard119

bard119 New Member!

It's easy to hear a gnat fart. You have to record it using an omni mic, normalize the track, use some light compression, and EQ boost by about 4dB at 8kHz.

Yaralag, s5tuart and soulman969 like this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. :D

Would an entire album of recorded gnat farts sell big in the insect community? Hmmmmm......[​IMG]

18. Fasteddie570

Fasteddie570 New Member!

I use 7's and I have no problem with tone.