12” Speakers for Pro Jr IV you’ve tried

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by steveokla, Sep 30, 2021.

1. steveokla

steveokla Strat-Talker

Never been much on little amps generally, though I’ve owned a few, but house downsize landed me and my gear in a smallish guest bedroom. My amps are deafening in there. Moreover, venues I find myself in these days are small, sometimes outdoor stage on restaurant patios and such, and my go-to gear just isn’t feasible.

Anyway, on a whim (after lots of on line study) I picked up a Pro Junior IV Ltd, and, I must say, have been astonished by it. I originally had in mind to use it as a a bedroom practice amp, but it’s potential as a small venue amp instantly became apparent.
    After lots of looking, it became clear that a lot of players came to the same conclusion. Many upgrade the cab and speaker. I await a Mojotone tweed cab I ordered and, in the meantime, have been trying to select a 12” speaker for it. After extensive research, I’ve narrowed things down, but I’m still struggling to choose and was hoping for adding insights and counsel from those who have experience with these amps who’ve tried various 12’s and have gigged them enough to come to some conclusions.
    As to style-rock, Hendrix, blues. I don’t like speaker breakup much, so where I can’t crank an amp for crunch, I depend on a King of Tone, which follows a typical array of pedals on my board. I could be going about this all wrong, but two speakers seem to be the best candidates: Swamp Thang and C Rex., though the power handling capacity of these things (ST is 150 w) strikes me as a little over the top, and I don’t know if that carries unwanted consequences in a 15 w amp. I’ve done my homework on replacement speakers for Juniors, but haven’t seen much by way of direct comparisons of these two speakers in a Jr.
    Would truly appreciate some counsel. Steveoka

2. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

The CRex seems to be a common go to as a replacement speaker in Fender Amps like the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton amps as well. It would also be the one I would suggest.

I don't play a Pro Jr but long ago I installed a CRex in my Roland Blues Cube 60 and IMHO it was a wise move. It's a difference maker in that amp as well which is tonally similar to a Fender Tweed amp.

The rated power handling capability isn't an issue. Either speaker will work fine in your amp. I use a pair of Eminence speakers that are rated 50w and 75s with my Egnater Tweaker which is just a 15w amp.

3. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-O-Master

Demos is for Blues Jrs. but great vid of Brian Wampler cycling through different speakers with exact same set-up to isolate the speaker differences.

I've been thinking about a Green Beret for my BJ

4. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

I just fly with the stock speakers .

TIMB likes this.
  5. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I have a Pro Junior built into a larger pine cabinet with a 1970s 12" Celestion silver alnico speaker. Absolutely amazing sounds come from it. The modern alnico blue will do the same job.

Nate D likes this.
  6. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i did not think my boutique clone of a deluxe could be better until i put a celestion gold in it.

everything i have put the gold in became wildy better in sound quality.

i was nervous to pay that much for a speaker i could not return but the celestion gold has literally been one of my best purchases ever.

Voxman, teleamp and mad axe man like this.
  7. cmm71

cmm71 Strat-Talk Member

I've got a Weber Legacy 12 inch ceramic in my Pro Sr cab. I love it.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Heat the coil can take. That's about it.

The Pro Jr., IMO, is the most "tweed" sounding production low wattage amp Fender builds.

I'd run a Red Fang or Celestion Gold. The Eminence Allesandro 59 is the same speaker as the Red Fang...that'd be good too.

Nate D, TIMB and mad axe man like this.
  9. Supersonicuser

Supersonicuser Strat-Talk Member

I have had several Pro Jr's and my current one is a version III, with a Jensen P10R. For a 10" speaker I think this one works well for the Pro Jr. If you are looking for a 12" speaker, I also have a Fender Limited Edition '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb with the Celestion G12H-150 Redback, and I originally thought, why put a 150 Watt speaker in a 22 Watt (Tube watts) amplifier? But I think this speaker sounds fantastic. I also have a Supersonic 22 that has a Celestion G12 Vintage 30, and I prefer the G12H-150. The Redback has a bright sound and great bass, and even so much that I run the amp with the bass at 1 (in my home), but it's there to be dialed in. In doing this I have realized that on my other amps, in live situations, I actually turn the bass down lower (i used to set at 5), and this allows a much tighter and cleaner sound. I also have a '68 Custom Vibrolux that has 2-10"s and the 12's actually are brighter (I turn on the bright switch if needed), so I recommend trying the Celestial G12H-150 Redback.

10. cmm71

cmm71 Strat-Talk Member

For what it's worth, I got the Pro Jr for home use. I rarely run the volume beyond 3. I liked it well enough in stock form but I was curious and picked up a Mojotone cab. I had a Weber Legacy (mentioned earlier in this thread) in the closet so I just used that speaker. I think they pair well. I play mostly clean but always found strats to be pretty thin and anemic sounding through Pro Jr's. I'm not sure if it's the bigger cab or the Weber speaker but my strat sounds really good through my current setup. I'm typically a Deluxe Reverb type of guy but the Pro Sr set-up is doing nicely.

11. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

I’d give the stock speaker a chance to break in. I had a Pro Jr III. I tried a few 10” speakers and finally settled on the same Jensen that comes in the IV. Mine was bought used, well broken in. It came out of a Princeton that the owner gigged a lot. He was selling the Princeton so he put the original speaker back in and sold the Jensen on its own.

tery likes this.
  12. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-O-Master

Anyone have any insight on how a Pro Jr. relates to a Blue Jr. (the old Tweed Limited edition with Jensen).

There's a Pro Jr. on Amplitube, where I can try different speakers. I've been using a Princeton for my comps so far. Is the pro jr closer?

13. steveokla

steveokla Strat-Talker

I enjoyed that! Thanks

GhostJam47 likes this.
  14. steveokla

steveokla Strat-Talker

The IV had the speaker-and it’s a good sounding one, to be sure

15. steveokla

steveokla Strat-Talker

Thanks to all-genuinely appreciate your sharing your experience.
    Much of which complicates things for me is my utter lack of experience with speakers. Every amp I’ve ever owned has had original Jensens, CTS or JBL’s, with one exception-I once installed a Tone Tubby 12” in a brown Vibrolux. Was actually quite taken with it.
    I’ve been through a bunch of amps over the years, but have always held onto three: 64 SR with Jensens, 64 Vibrover with JBK 139f, and a 56 5E5A Teed Pro. I removed the blue bell from the Oro and installed a D130f from an old blonde Showman. truth is, I’m really fond of 15’s, though I know I’m in a minority.
    The VV and Pro have been my go-to amps for years now, though I’ll always have a profound soft spit fi SR’s. But, alas, they’re big, heavy and deafening.
    The little Pro Jr really took me by surprise-it reminds me a great deal of my 56 Pro-not that it sounds just like it, but there’s something there. The 56 is a little darker, though. Nevertheless, ghe Jr sounds very tweedy to my ear. Indeed, it sounds great-just had in mind to give it a bigger sound. I suspect the larger cab alone will go far in accomplishing that, then it’s just about picking a 12, so I was going outside the (well, my) box in looking at the Eminences I mentioned.
    Let it be whispered, but, given my fondness for 15’s, I’ve considered try the Hr through one-likely D130f, which I’m quite fond of.

16. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Have the Alessandro per your recommendation some time ago, perfect speaker:thumb:

fezz parka likes this.
  17. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I bought a Celestion Gold for my 5E3 clone, and haven't look back! Was nervous about spending that much on a few recommendations, but it was well worth the money.

18. gmann

gmann Strat-Talker

CRex for the win! There are others just as good but none better.

19. steveokla

steveokla Strat-Talker

It has enormous support. A bunch of people feel the same way. I about pulled the trigger on one several times, but the Swamp Thang caught my fancy and I wanted to find out more about it before taking the plunge. I'm struggling to find out how they're different, and if it's a difference that makes a difference. My instincts tell me I'm unlikely to go far wrong either way; but, you know how it is, would like to make the best decision i can. Price I pay for having limited myself to a few speakers over the years.

gmann likes this.
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

This immediately takes the amp into 5e3 territory. :)

Nate D likes this.