1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

12 Strings... Guild Vs. Takamine

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Chont, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Hello,

Mrs. C said when we get the MF card paid off I can get a new guitar if I want. Told me If I stopped buying pedals and small crap she could pay the thing off LOL. I was going to get a new Strat but I got to thinking... I don't really NEED a new strat and would get a lot more use out of a 12 string and have been wanting one for a while.

the two i'm looking at are the Guild F-2512e

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/guild-f-2512e-maple-jumbo-12-string-acoustic-electric-guitar

or the Takamine GJ72CE-12

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...bo-cutaway-12-string-acoustic-electric-guitar

I'm leaning towards the Guild but the Electronics\Tuner on the Tak have me second guessing myself. I do like to use open tuning sometimes so having a built in tuner is a huge plus. I have plenty of time to decide. I'm waiting til we clear off the card and the 48 month financing pops up again but just curious what the opinions are. Unfortunately no local stores have either so I can't try out. The GC 45 minutes away has the smaller Tak so I may head there eventually and check it out.

thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Try them out if you can. I've had my '76 Takamine F385 since new, so I'm partial...but, have noticed when picking up the occasional "other" 12 string a wide (to me) difference in feel and sound. Happy Hunting!

Chont likes this.
  3. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Guild is the king of the 12 strings and always has been.

4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I have owned a Jasmine takamine 12, on that particular guitar the body was not really built strongly enough and it developed belly bulge, high action and not really enjoyable to play.

I recently got a guild f250e, and I assume the f2512 is a related 12 string model. My f250e really impressed me, I daresay it is the nicest guitar I've ever had. The sound is big, bold, punchy and sweet, all at the same time.

I say go with guild.

Chont and Baelzebub like this.
  5. Chont

Thanks... I believe yours is the 6 string version so a very close comparison. yes I'm leaning very much towards the Guild. It seems like a fantastic guitar for not a huge amount of money. I suppose I can use a clip on tuner if i really feel I need something right on the guitar.

Looks like GC also has the Cutaway version of the Guild 12 at the store so I can also try that out and either get it or at least get a better sense of what the standard jumbo would feel like.

Still have a bit more to pay down but hopefully soon.

dirocyn likes this.
  6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I'm a big fan of 12 strings so I'll be watching this for insights. Currently I have an Ovation TX which I like, but unfortunately the bowl back and my Covid gut don't seem to be compatible, so I'm looking to sell that and get another acoustic. Always coveted a nice Guild though.

But, in the meantime, I became intrigued by Eastwood's Classic 12, and they ran a good sale on them, so I have one on order that should be here mid October. With the electronics these days in traditional acoustics, the lines are kinda blurred. I figure the Classic 12 will be a good compromise. It's a 335 style body so should project enough to play it acoustically and should sound good through my Acoutasonic SFX amp. Additionally is should be a little easier on my old arthritic hands than a traditional acoustic.

9-17-2020 9-17-25 PM.jpg Hard to say till I get my hands on it, but I'll post my thoughts when I do.

Nadnitram, mikej89 and Chont like this.
  7. Chont

wow.... that thing sounds like a grand piano.

dirocyn likes this.
  8. Chont

LOL

I have an Ovation 6 string. I love it to pieces but I played a song with the kids on stage last summer and standing with it strapped on and my every growing fat belly was not a good combo. I goofed a couple times when it slipped.

wow that Eastwood is pretty hot.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i love my alvarez 12 string jumbo cutaway with electronics but have not played it for even an hour since i re-fretted it !

Chont likes this.
  10. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Like all acoustic guitars (but maybe even more so) the individual instrument will tell you when you play it. I don’t know that one or the other has a corner on the market.

OTOH, in your case (assuming you can’t play either in person at a GC), I would go with my gut impulse and go with the Guild. It is less expensive and has a slightly bigger body (because of the lack of a cut away). Maybe you don’t mind changing tunings, but on a 12 string it can be a chore. I have a Breedlove which is more stable than most, and even going from Eb to E concert tunings takes a while. I can’t imagine changing to and from some open tuning to concert pitch is just not something I would plan to do on a 12-string.

Chont likes this.
  11. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Wow, those both look like a great value for the $$$. I'd lean towards the Guild but probably can't go wrong with either. The flame maple back and sides on the Guild are beautiful, too bad they don't show them on the Takamine.

Chont likes this.
  12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Dam shame you can't try first
    Either one seems like a good choice
    I would go for the takamine because like you said...the built in tuner...makes life easier

Chont likes this.
  13. Chont

The Breedlove is also in the running. I do like the through hole bridge. I don't like dealing with Bridge Pins LOL.

those are some nice guitars too

14. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Mine was US built(in Bend, OR) before the sale to Two Old Hippies. I found it used in Portland OR when I was doing a job up there. Really nice, but I had to go in and play 3 times before I pulled the trigger. When I found it, it was tuned to Eb concert, I’ve tuned up and down a few times because one day I think one sounds better than the other, LOL. Currently it is in E concert.

I’ve played some of the imports, and they are nice, too. The one I have is just one that spoke to me.

Chont likes this.
  15. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

I used to have an identical jumbo Guild acoustic 12-string. Sounded simply amazing. I regret having sold it.
    They are a little bit of a pain to restring and keep in tune, but I think it's worth the trouble. I will have another one day.

Chont likes this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

RPKennedy and Chont like this.
  17. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

I have the predecessor to the Takamine (EG523SC-12) that I purchased used about ten years ago and has been a totally solid performer for me. It's heavy as hell and I think that's helped it be a rock when it comes to staying in tune. In my experience, Guilds are similarly 'overbuilt' so I tend to doubt you'll be kicking yourself no matter which you choose.

Chont likes this.
  18. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-Talker

From my experience Guild is a big step up from Takamine.

I had a Takamine 6-string A/E for a long time, cost about the same thing as the ones you're looking at. It wasn't a very good sounding or playing guitar. Replaced it with a Seagull S6 that was less expensive and it plays like a dream.

Chont, Nadnitram and RPKennedy like this.
  19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

Jasmine is the cheapest Taki-lisenced guitar and not to be confused with a real guitar.

dirocyn likes this.
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

Guild ain't what it used to be. I would not buy any Guild or Taki without playing it for a while.