12 Strings... Guild Vs. Takamine

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Chont, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

A lot of folks on the "Let's Talk Guild" forum are saying Cordoba is doing a better job with them than Fender did.

2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

IMO, the feel of a 12-string neck is really important. I've always liked the feel of a Yamaha, and I absolutely LOVED the feel of my Ovation. I did not care at all for the feel of my Alvarez or my Sigma.

Now I have a Recording King, and I really like the feel. I'd put it right up there with the Yammy, but I'm not sure anything will approach the feel of that Ovation.

Darn round back!

Chont likes this.
  3. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Seagull does 12-strings, or at least they used to. I had a chance to get one cheap when a local store went out of business, but ... I who hesitates is lost.

Chont and Handsome McClane like this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Tough choice.

Both spruce tops. Both maple back and sides. Tone "should" be similar.

Guild has bound neck. +1
    Guild has the rounded back +1

Takamini is flame maple. +1 for me.

Both have a pickup
    Both seem to be of equal size (lower bout and depth.)

Other than that, for me, it comes down to the neck. My Guild d25m, from '80 has a neck (at the base) like a baseball bat. I had an Epi 12 ( I know, Epi,) that fell apart due to the weak neck.

I have a soft spot for Guild.

Guild!!!

5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Nothing is what it used to be.... our Oven busted, the Microwave seems like its right behind it and the brand new washer we got is leaking already. Was on hold for an hour yesterday and finally got a tech on the phone and about 15 minutes into him helping me the call dropped... iphones aint what they used to be either i guess... called back and the guy on the phone wouldn't transfer me back because it was after hours so the tech line was closed...

but... on the plus side... our long awaited and unfortunately delayed income tax return check that we never thought we'd ever see arrived yesterday. Cha ching !!!! So I'm hoping Mrs C. Sees fit to pay off some cards and I can get something sooner rather than later.

Groovey likes this.
  6. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

I've been curious as to what happened. Standing by...