1957 left handed Hardtail Strat

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Guitar_Lefty, Jan 15, 2021.

1. althekiller

althekiller Strat-Talk Member

Necro thread bump, but as a fellow lefty starting to hunt around for a vintage strat this thing caught my eye. Did you end up getting this guitar OP or know what happened to it? A 50s hardtail is my dream guitar.

2. LHstrat

LHstrat Strat-Talker

althekiller likes this.
  3. EyeLikeTortoise

EyeLikeTortoise Strat-Talker

The figured ash is nice. They went a little heavy on the black paint with the re-fin. But cool guitar. Interesting they bumped the price up 2k.

althekiller likes this.
  4. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

They're trying to appeal to a better class of customer..

exranger and Michelotti like this.
  5. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

I feel your pain. Being a lefty is tough. I searched for 4 years to get my ‘65. It was a bit more than what is being asked for that ‘57, but it’s totally original save the frets.
    I’m not a hardtail guy, but a ‘57 is a dream Strat. My friend has an original ‘57 (righty of course), and the neck is incredible.
    Great find. Is this a local sale, or through a forum or something? It doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen on reverb or eBay and I keep a close watch…

althekiller likes this.
  6. althekiller

althekiller Strat-Talk Member

Interesting the price jumped even higher. Have prices gone up all around for vintage guitars in the last year? I’m new to the vintage instrument world. Only recently been seriously searching and considering buying one.

I can see that if the pickups were all original but with only one original really remaining that seems a bit steep. Plus it’s a refin. To me this is a “players grade.”

Lefty world is weird, not just with guitars but with guns, bows or anything left handed . We either find very good deals because the seller can’t find anyone else to sell to or the seller jacks the prices way up because of rarity and will leave it for sale for years if that’s what it takes to sell it.

Sad thing is this will probably go to a right handed collector that wants it just for its rarity. It’s definitely my dream guitar to have a 50s Strat and I prefer a hardtail. It’s just a few thousand out of my price range and I’m not sure it would be worth it unless I could get my hands on it to try it out first.

7. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

Have you considered contacting the seller? Some will give you an evaluation period, and offer no questions asked returns (minus shipping costs) within a short window. Most sellers are also negotiable on price, and many start with a astronomical asking price, knowing that the final sale may be 60-75% of asking. Not saying any of that is true with this seller, but you never know…

8. EyeLikeTortoise

EyeLikeTortoise Strat-Talker

Like Groudwire said, make the seller an offer if you're really interested in it. I negotiated a couple thousand off the price of my 61 and it was starting at a significantly lower price than the 57 listed.

And to answer your other question about price increases - it seems to me like there has been a notable increase, at least in asking prices, on vintage guitars since the beginning of the year. I feel like the prices on player-grade stuff (re-fins etc) in particular has seen the most inflation. Those are just my anecdotal observations as a casual market observer.

IrishB likes this.